Need a little help

This is for Shark info, Tagging , How tos, baits of choice, etc.
doidoimagic
Fisher

Need a little help

Post by doidoimagic »

Well I dont post much, but in the past few months shark fishing has gotten my interest. I just got a deal on a new penn 9/0 and penn mariner. I spooled my 9/0 up with 500 yards of 50lb mono and now dont know where to go :scratch:

Should I put heavier mono onto my mainline and then the shark rig? If so what line test should I use? Also about shark rigs which pound wire should I be using? Would it be fine to make a shark rig out of Swivel-150lb wire-hook?

Im gonna be kayaking out the baits too. Not really targeting monster sharks either not aiming for anything over 7ft

qzx
Weekend Warrior

Re: Need a little help

Post by qzx »

a 9/0 should have taken more than 500 yards of 50#
......50# is actually a very good size line to fish on a 9/0 especially if your getting started
.......150 wire should be plenty with 50 mainline
...for smaller fish you'll have more fun with 50 ,,,,and the 9/0 can hold hold enough 50 so that if you do hook a bigger one , you'll have the line capacity to deal with him

fixed80
BLACK FIN TUNA

Re: Need a little help

Post by fixed80 »

50lb will do but like mentioned you could have had more but on there. use a heavier mono leader like 150lb to attach that to the main line. this is for abrasion purposes. at the end of that leader use that swivel and then the wire. steel leader should be about 4 to 5 feet long. connect that to a circle hook. 9/0 circle mustads work for me.

just curious but what area in florida are you fishing?

Return to “Shark'in Info”