Sharks from a pier ????

This is for Shark info, Tagging , How tos, baits of choice, etc.
bait shooter
Fisher

Sharks from a pier ????

Post by bait shooter »

Was wondering how you go about landing a shark , hooked from a pier . Seems like there is only 2 choices , walk it to the beach , or hoist it up some way . :auto:

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Re: Sharks from a pier ????

Post by gruntking »

dude seriously if you have to ask you shouldnt be doing it
simple
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

:stupid: I've seen em destroy a boat. Broke the CC so bad it had to be replaced. The only way to bring them on to a pier is to kill them. Because they don't have skeletons, the act of bringing them out of the water displaces all their internal organ's, effectively killing them. At least the larger one's. Had a guy at Anglens a few weeks ago that was going to cut one's head off to get his hook back. Needless to say I took care of it.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

yankneck696
Seasoned Fisher

Post by yankneck696 »

Smaller sharks can be hoisted up in a large bridge landing net. Then if desired, returned with minimal damage.
Some people build bridges. Some people fish off the bridges. Some people burn their bridges. Others should just be pushed off the bridge.
Caught by hand.

bait shooter
Fisher

Post by bait shooter »

Thank you , Mr. Goliath Grouper , for your well thought out responce to my question . Your ability to enlighten me is astounding . :evil:

bait shooter
Fisher

Post by bait shooter »

Thanks to all of you who gave me an honest answer . I see all these posta , about sharking from a pier , and couldn't see a way to catch and release a big fish , without killing it either . I didn't know if you were geting them to the pier , and then cuting them free in some way . I saw a group in Panama City climb down the pilings of the pier , tail rope the fish , hoist it up, remove the hook , and then throw it off the pier . I didn't think that this would have been viewed as an acceptable practice by this forums standards . Thanks to all .....PS I only fish from the beach . :auto:

Boca Jetty Rat
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Boca Jetty Rat »

What you are seeing with the jumbo sharks caught from the pier area released by cutting the line. No one here hoists a 10 foot hammer head up onto the pier. Not acceptable practice in these parts, it may fly in BFE up north somewhere but not down here.
:toast:

bait shooter
Fisher

Post by bait shooter »

Thanks Goliath , That's all I wanted to know . :auto:

cyril1974
KING MACKEREL

Post by cyril1974 »

oh.. and just an fyi, Goliath Grouper is not their username.. it is a designation for how many posts they have. their username is just above that in the top left hand corner.

good luck with the sharks!

Charles

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

:stupid: Thanks Charles I will never understand why that concept is so hard to grasp. I mean your name appears the same way as others does. That being said any shark over 50 lbs that is not being harvested should be beached or cut lose. Landing nets and sharks don't mix well.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

BoatlessFisherman
Fisherman - Owner - Administrator

Post by BoatlessFisherman »

gruntking wrote:dude seriously if you have to ask you shouldnt be doing it
simple
Ease down with the sarcasm, no question is stupid. He at least asked to get and understanding and I am glad he took the time to ask before attempting to bring a large shark up.
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

fixed80
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by fixed80 »

bait shooter wrote:Was wondering how you go about landing a shark , hooked from a pier . Seems like there is only 2 choices , walk it to the beach , or hoist it up some way . :auto:
ima tell you something. some piers dont even allow ppl to shark fish. most i think except inlet piers or walkways that are over jetty's. you can beach them in that case but like a pier off of a beach in a city. oh no not good to land them. but cutting the line is certainly not the best thing to do either because the fish trail's more line behind it. but you can use short steel leader like 3 foot and then connect it to one long leader(about 80lb mono) that is just longer then the height of the pier(if the pier is 15' then go with 20 feet of mono leader). after you bring it in close.... just hand the rod over to someone and you grab the mono leader so it will pop from the steel cable or wire. that leaves the fish with no line behind it, just the steel.

bait shooter
Fisher

Post by bait shooter »

Heah , that's more aloing the lines of what I had been thinking . I don't fish from piers , but had just wondered what everyone else had thought about it . :auto:

Xpierrat
Old Salt

Post by Xpierrat »

when the tips are thick I have tried several ways, the short wire to mono( 100 to 150 lb ) leader 5 feet or so to some 60 to 80 shock leader long enough to reach the pier rail which allows me to do a wrap and break the leader (usually at the wire mono albright knot )

I also tried a 8/0 circle that BPS sells that would break or straiten when fish is up and down and leader is pulled ... last thing I am trying ( and I am still fine tuning this idea)

is to use a solid ring to a split ring to the circle hook.... when pulled steady and when the fish is up and down the split ring will fail and release the fish with only the hook... I think the ring I am trying is around 60 lb class... all of this is of course from, pier , bridge, etc not beach.
Rick

bait shooter
Fisher

Post by bait shooter »

Thanks for the tip , Rick . That split ring idea sounds good , to me . Larry :auto:

salvadorsanchez
Old Salt

Post by salvadorsanchez »

My dumb self had to walk 2 of the bull reds I caught off the Mexico Beach pier. Oh, and a 3 foot blacktip. I',m so used to catching palm sized fish and a mac here and there, didnt think of buying a bridge net. Thank God some guy walked up, asked if he could fish near me. When I turned and saw his pier net I said "Dude, not only that but you can have MY spot, I'll fish next to YOU! If you dont have a pier net, make friends QUICK with someone because "someone" is going to have to watch your gear while YOU walk the pier with a fish

All my best

Jay
"I had to punch him, he was starting to make sense"

chris21
KING MACKEREL

Post by chris21 »

I probably wouldn't even be able to hoist anything over a yard long up a pier even in a net, after suffering a horrible shoulder spasm last February which kept me out of action for months it is doubtful for me, my back is also not in very good condition at all and I'm only 20, not good :cry: :cry: :cry: if you have to walk it down, but do be sure you make that friend on the pier for the day, good luck.
There's no such thing as too much bait!!

diggin4grouper
KING MACKEREL

Post by diggin4grouper »

these are for divers and can be found at most dive shops , but we have done a mod to the ones we have and have put 100 lb mono for a pull cord , to accept o rings around the head of it when the line os in the jaw of it and the o ring in place slide it down the line and pull and it will cut the line and light cables , works great
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mogenmyle
Seasoned Fisher

Post by mogenmyle »

thats the best one ive heard

oldschoolirish91
Fisher

Re: Sharks from a pier ???? thanks from newbie

Post by oldschoolirish91 »

The only problem with this being the best, most informative site on the web for FL is that I will have no excuse for ignorant fishing mistakes. Seriously though, old pros being willing to answer such questions in detail is just one of the things that makes BF great. I just keep on learning. Thanks guys for the great info and pics.

Chris

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy." Groucho Marx

Username28
KING MACKEREL

Post by Username28 »

BoatlessFisherman wrote:
gruntking wrote:dude seriously if you have to ask you shouldnt be doing it
simple
Ease down with the sarcasm, no question is stupid. He at least asked to get and understanding and I am glad he took the time to ask before attempting to bring a large shark up.
:stupid: :toast:
There is a fine line between Love & Hate.Hate is pushing them off a ledge. Loving them means you don't taunt them after you've pushed them off.

Mackerel_slayer
Fisher

Post by Mackerel_slayer »

the pier that i fish does not allow sharkfishing but we still do it. when the tippys are running i fish a fathom 30 filled with 25 or 30lb suffix superior, with about a 25ft bimini to a 50lb swivel and about a foot and half of #6 wire. i fish 6/0 mustad ultra points and when theyre done i just pull up on the bimini wrapped around my hand and the hook usually bends straight. usually around 6ft tippys i catch with this. for the bigger sharks i break them off on the pilings

Return to “Shark'in Info”