A nice Rack!

This is for Shark info, Tagging , How tos, baits of choice, etc.
BeachGnome
Fisher

A nice Rack!

Post by BeachGnome »

I figured that subject may get some attention :lol: ........ I've got some friends coming down next month, and i need a place for everyone to sleep. The only problem is that all of my fishing stuff has taken over one of the bedrooms........ I need to build a rod rack to help save some space in that one bedroom....... I've got one shark rod that is too long to stand up vertically, so I might have to build a horizontal rod rack... Any suggestions/ pictures would greatly be appreciated.... :toast:

Thanks!!!

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Re: A nice Rack!

Post by crashmister »

How about an overhead rod rack like the ones used on the larger boats. You can probably make one pretty easily. Best part is it's out of reach from younger hands
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

BeachGnome
Fisher

Post by BeachGnome »

I use to store my rods with an over head rack........ it was real convenient. The only problem now is that the guest bedroom is much smaller in my new house, and plus there is a ceiling fan. Thanks for the suggestion. This issue has been driving me :nilly:

CubanExpress
Boatlessfishing.com FORUM SPONSOR

Post by CubanExpress »

BeachGnome wrote:I use to store my rods with an over head rack........ it was real convenient. The only problem now is that the guest bedroom is much smaller in my new house, and plus there is a ceiling fan. Thanks for the suggestion. This issue has been driving me :nilly:
you build the same rack you would for overhead but instead of mounting it on the celling you mount it on the wall this will get you around the problem of the celling fan...

whats the lenght of the wall?? and how long are the rods?

BeachGnome
Fisher

Post by BeachGnome »

The rack i had on the ceiling was basicly two ropes stretched across the ceiling, they were spread about 5ft apart. I could store all my light rods and reels that way, but now that i have my sharkn gear, weight is an issue, as well as the ceiling fan. My 8ft. shark rod vs. the 8ft. ceiling is the one dealing me fits....... The length of the walls are 10ft. So, that isn't really an issue for building a horizontal rack. I guess I was looking more along the lines of how to build the rod rack itself. I have to take in consideration of the spacing in between each reel if i am going to mount a rack horizontally against the wall... I have reels ranging from ultra light spinning to penn senator 9/0's..... i would like to build one rack that would hold the variety..... I would not mind purchasing one, but i think it may be easier/cheaper to build a custom one. I have close to 20 rods and reels that need to be organized... What are some of the ways yall store your gear?(pics would be great, if possible, if not, explanations will be suffice)
Thanks!!!

Get-em-wet
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Get-em-wet »

http://www.minwax.com/projects/pdfs/200 ... e_Rack.pdf

Take that and make it your own...you can make it as fancy as you want or as simple as you want.

Get-em-wet
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Get-em-wet »

Post pictures when you finish it though.

CubanExpress

Post by CubanExpress »

BeachGnome wrote:The rack i had on the ceiling was basicly two ropes stretched across the ceiling, they were spread about 5ft apart. I could store all my light rods and reels that way, but now that i have my sharkn gear, weight is an issue, as well as the ceiling fan. My 8ft. shark rod vs. the 8ft. ceiling is the one dealing me fits....... The length of the walls are 10ft. So, that isn't really an issue for building a horizontal rack. I guess I was looking more along the lines of how to build the rod rack itself. I have to take in consideration of the spacing in between each reel if i am going to mount a rack horizontally against the wall... I have reels ranging from ultra light spinning to penn senator 9/0's..... i would like to build one rack that would hold the variety..... I would not mind purchasing one, but i think it may be easier/cheaper to build a custom one. I have close to 20 rods and reels that need to be organized... What are some of the ways yall store your gear?(pics would be great, if possible, if not, explanations will be suffice)
Thanks!!!
what you can do is run 2"x2" of wood up and down (not side to side) that are screwed to the wall studs....it would be best to use a stud finder this way you can line up the 2x2 with that....pre drill the 2x2 and then shoot like a 5 inch drywall/wood screws through the 2x2 penetrating the dry wall and then screwed/fixed to the stud... shoot like 5 or 6 of those screws down the 2x2/stud this will be stong as it will now actually become part structure of the house

make sure to get it dead center on the stud.... you do not want it shooting off to the side..
thats why it is best to use a studfinder...

then predrill the wood for storage hooks like this.... and thread them into the 2"x2"

Last edited by CubanExpress on Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

CubanExpress

Post by CubanExpress »

Get-em-wet wrote:http://www.minwax.com/projects/pdfs/200 ... e_Rack.pdf

Take that and make it your own...you can make it as fancy as you want or as simple as you want.
your link is not working?

Get-em-wet
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Get-em-wet »

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

Beachgnome I have a drawing for a wall rack but it won't upload. PM me maybe I can fax it to you. It's pretty simple and inexpensive. Maybe you can post it for anybody else who needs it
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

BeachGnome
Fisher

Post by BeachGnome »

First of all, thanks for all the info. Sorry i couldn't get back to ya crashmister... I'm sure ur idea and drawing was better than what i came up with.

But here she is:
I used 'rod saver' straps. I used the 3'' screws that came with the kit and it seems to be working fine.
The screws are bolted in the studs and support a penn 309, 6/0 wide spool, 2 9/0's, and the 12/0 perfectly.

I also built a rack for some of my other rods:

This consisted of 2 1x4's that are 6 ft. in length (painted), velcro, and ''u'' -shaped storage hooks.
Total cost of project= less than $20..... I did trade some 80lb, berkley big game for the 'rod saver' straps.

Return to “Shark'in Info”