Looking for Jax shrimpers

Beverly Beach, Bunnell, Flagler Beach, Marineland, Palm Coast, Crescent Beach, Fort Matanzas, Fruit Cove, Hastings, Marineland, Palm Valley, Ponte Vedra, Ponte Vedra Beach, St. Augustine, St. Augustine Beach, Switzerland, Atlantic Beach, Baldwin, Jacksonville, Jacksonville Beach, Mayport, Neptune Beach, Amelia Island, Bryceville, Callahan, Fernandina Beach, Hilliard.
killula
KING MACKEREL

Looking for Jax shrimpers

Post by killula »

Looking to learn more about shrimping public docks around St Johns river. If any old salts can give some helpful advice or want to meet up and teach a "green horn" during the late summer/fall run.

coolcow
Seasoned Fisher

Re: Looking for Jax shrimpers

Post by coolcow »

It's been on for a month in the St. John's and it's the best year in a long time. The old Shands Pier in Green Cove is shoulder to shoulder, but one of the best places to go. Just gotta throw a net.

ianthecarpenter
Fisher

Post by ianthecarpenter »

I haven't seen a report fir a while, is the shrimp run over?

killula
KING MACKEREL

Post by killula »

Its spotty, I hear shands its over and over at palatka, they seem to have gone further south to welaka, but recent reports from yesterday showed they left welaka. I hope they are moving north to mature offshore, I will try palatka tomorrow and report what I find.

ianthecarpenter
Fisher

Post by ianthecarpenter »

Did you make it out?

killula
KING MACKEREL

Post by killula »

Palatka is bad right now, caught very little, like 2 or 3 per throw with a 10ft net. Went to shands and got a little more 5-20 per throw but mostly 5. A few larges but a lot of smalls and newly hatched shrimp I think the cold front slowed shrimping down big time. I think this will be the last month to shrimp st johns untilbnext summer but don't go if there is a front around. Now I also heard to go to salt springs in ocala national park, they have a pier to throw off of, and the natural salinty is very high and the spring which is connected to st johns river remains like 78 degrees all year, a nice refuge for the shrimp. Anyways I hear that's the secret spot and I hope to be able to try it out soon.

Return to “Flagler-St johns-Duval-Nassau”