Nassau Sound

Beverly Beach, Bunnell, Flagler Beach, Marineland, Palm Coast, Crescent Beach, Fort Matanzas, Fruit Cove, Hastings, Marineland, Palm Valley, Ponte Vedra, Ponte Vedra Beach, St. Augustine, St. Augustine Beach, Switzerland, Atlantic Beach, Baldwin, Jacksonville, Jacksonville Beach, Mayport, Neptune Beach, Amelia Island, Bryceville, Callahan, Fernandina Beach, Hilliard.
newbie39
Fisher

Nassau Sound

Post by newbie39 »

New to Jacksonville area and have fished off the old bridge at nassau sound. I've been there twice using both live and dead bait (shrimp) and have tried both sides of the bridge. I have yet to catch anything. I was wondering where is the best spot to catch on the bridge and what type of bait do you recommend for that area.

fixed80
BLACK FIN TUNA

Re: Nassau Sound

Post by fixed80 »

try different spots on the bridge. the fish may be closer in and not far away from shore.
live shrimp is great and if you get a pin fish or pigfish(bait), use it and a red might pick up on it. buy clams and try half blue crabs. they are good baits for redfish and black drum.

newbie39
Fisher

Post by newbie39 »

I will try that this weekend and hopefully I'll catch something. This might be a dumb question but can u keep live shrimp and pin fish in the same bucket?

fixed80
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by fixed80 »

yes just dont put to much bait in there though.

jledebur
Fisher

Post by jledebur »

My wife and I haven't tried the fishing bridge yet, but we hit the beach at Amelia Island Park (Amelia Island side of the Nassau Sound) Wednesday evening and netted our limit of Mullet in just 2 casts of a 6-foot net (50 of the little buggers). Nothing biting on our lines that day, but at least we have a freezer full of bait. :D
Redhawk
Need some new fishing-inspired clothing or gear?
Check out these great items designed by my
fishing buddy (aka, my beautiful wife):
http://www.cafepress.com/d_luciousd_sign/s_fishing

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

I fished that sound a couple of years ago. There weren't many fish on the end with the bait house. So I would try farther out if I went again.

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

newbie39
Fisher

Post by newbie39 »

We've been out there 4 times and only caught 1 whiting. Looks like its time for a new spot.

JWORM904
Weekend Warrior

Post by JWORM904 »

Fiddler Crabs by the pilings will produce nice sheepshead

coolcow
Seasoned Fisher

Post by coolcow »

The current can be pretty wicked there. When the whiting are running, you can get a cooler full. But, I've never had too much luck other than whiting there. You can go to Sawpit Creek just south of there and get in to reds, trout, flounder, drum, jacks, etc with shrimp or a popping cork. Also try out by the little breakwater on the beach on the northeast side of the inlet. If you are feeling adventurous you can wade out, crawl up, and fish off of the breakwater. I've caught some nice fish just off of the rocks.

What Jwizerm said is true. That bridge is a good sheepshead spot, but not too many people fish for them there. I wouldn't fish the bridge unless it was for whiting or sheepies.

There are some other reports and tips for the area if you use the 'search' tool.

Mds169
Fisher

Post by Mds169 »

i fished nassau yesterday 9/15/11. on the beach behind the public restrooms and landed A red 14" realeased of course.
It's not the speed or fury of the wind that determines a mans destiny...but the set if his sails. 

-Bait box

Return to “Flagler-St johns-Duval-Nassau”