Lake Ontario Salmon Fishing 9/9-9/10 2009

This area is for reports from non listed areas, If you will be doing reports and particapating, I will gladly make sure your area is listed, Just ask for it.
JDL
Seasoned Fisher

Lake Ontario Salmon Fishing 9/9-9/10 2009

Post by JDL »

Headed up to two spots on Lake Ontario to do some salmon trolling. I haven't been up to the Lake since I was young, and while I caught plenty of steelhead, I only caught 1 king about 18". I was hoping to get some decent size kings as this is the time of the year where the fish get ready to run up the rivers to spawn. I left NJ at about 730pm and arrived at the marina at Oak Orchard at about 1am. We were set to leave dock at 6:30am, so I slept in the car for a couple of hours.

Day 1: Left dock at about 6:30am and began trolling j-plugs in shallow water. After about 20 minutes of trolling, we are hooked up to a nice king salmon of about 15lbs.

Set back up and soon had another 15lber in the boat. Continued trolling and soon had another fish on. This fish proceeded to almost dump the reel on its first run and it was the first time I have ever had to chase a fish down in freshwater. Finally got a nice 24-25lb king salmon in the boat.

Decided to call it a day and headed in at 9:30am. Here are a few more shots back at the marina.

Headed over to Pulaski, NY where I spent the night to get ready to fish the next day in Mexico Bay, NY.

Day 2:

Left dock at about 5:45am and headed out to the mouth of the salmon river to begin trolling. Set up the trolling spread and fished the next hour to hour and a half without any bites. All of a sudden, one of the downriggers pops and I quickly have a 14lb coho salmon in the boat.

Set the spread up again, and quickly caught 4 more king salmon from 18-22lbs within the next hour.

Couple of 20+lb king salmon

Days catch

We left a few lines out while we were cleaning the fish and hooked and landed one last coho about 6lbs.

Called it a day with 6 fish and headed back to dock at about 10am.

A great trip that I will probably do again next year.
Image Image Image

L8RBRA
Old Salt

Re: Lake Ontario Salmon Fishing 9/9-9/10 2009

Post by L8RBRA »

Fishing up there is no joke when done right. Good job!
Adam .... Fish On!

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

WTG JDL. :thumright:
The Judge asked the prostitute, "At what point did you realize you were raped?"
The prostitute replied (wiping away tears), "When the check bounced."

Frogfish101
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Frogfish101 »

Nice kings! They're running bigger this year.
"Our lives are defined by the sum of our ventures into the unknown."
-Juro Mukai

jonboat
Fisher

Post by jonboat »

Did you hire a charter, or know someone with a big boat?

You can tell from the color that those are mature kings getting ready to hit the rivers (decent size to them too). That's why J-plugs work so well - they're pretty much done feeding at that point, so you need a lure that will annoy them into hitting it.

Early fall Kings are a blast, and it's also a blast a little later when you fish for them in the Rivers. The Oak and Salmon River are probably the best two for river fishing, followed by the Oswego River and Sandy Creek.

Mexico Bay is a spring-time hotspot for brown trout in shallow water (10').

Glad you got into some nice kings after making the trip up from NJ. I know I like to fill my smoker with king fillets. The cohos are really good baked, broiled, or grilled.

jonboat
Fisher

Post by jonboat »

jonboat wrote:Did you hire a charter, or know someone with a big boat?

You can tell from the color that those are mature kings getting ready to hit the rivers (decent size to them too). That's why J-plugs work so well - they're pretty much done feeding at that point, so you need a lure that will annoy them into hitting it.

Early fall Kings are a blast, and it's also a blast a little later when you fish for them in the Rivers. The Oak and Salmon River are probably the best two for river fishing, followed by the Oswego River and Sandy Creek.

Mexico Bay is a spring-time hotspot for brown trout in shallow water (10').

Glad you got into some nice kings after making the trip up from NJ. I know I like to fill my smoker with king fillets. The cohos are really good baked, broiled, or grilled.
haha... I just noticed the date on the original post!!... Have you had a chance to give it another go since then?

Return to “U.S.A. ???????”