keeping shrimp alive in canal

This area is for those questions about bait how to catch it, keep it alive and so on.
onitis
Fisher

keeping shrimp alive in canal

Post by onitis »

I have been renting houses on salt water canals in and around ft lauderdale pompano beacg for a few years now.I always kept my live shrimp in a 5 gallon bucket with many holes drilled in it hanging in the water in the canal.This year i'm on the border of ft laud pompano near mcnab and cypress rd.Within an hr of putting the shrimp in the water they are all dead.I'm doing everything the same this year is there an issue with the water quality in the canal?It is brownish.I tried sinking them to the bottom and also leaving them floating but nothing works.They usually live a few days and would rather use this then try the ice and newspapers trick.Any suggestions?

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Re: keeping shrimp alive in canal

Post by gruntking »

The water is pretty fresh back there so that might be the issue
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

SaltyDog
KING MACKEREL

Post by SaltyDog »

Gruntking is right that sater is too sweet probably sends them right into shock. Get a cheap fishtank pump and bubbler keep them cool

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

I would like to test your saltwater salinity lvls with my Milwaukee refractometer.

onitis
Fisher

Post by onitis »

gruntking wrote:The water is pretty fresh back there so that might be the issue
thanks for the responce but last year i was west of cypress close to the freshwater cutoff and had no problems now i'm east of cypress shouldnt it be saltier

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Rare wrote:I would like to test your saltwater salinity lvls with my Milwaukee refractometer.

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

well was there current at the last place you stayed I mean we did just get a good amount rain no long ago
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

I know the place around McNab and Cyrpess...it is not that far to ocean...Nearest inlet is Hills borough Inlet.
And I expect to see shrimp run and I assume shrimps live this canal...
We had a real good run at Hills borough inlet two years ago but not last year...
Maybe, there was a reason we didn't have a good run???

This is interesting...seriously Shrimp should not die within an hour.

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

It's pretty fresh back there not a lot of flow coming through I fish a couple bridges lil fourth east and some times it's when it rains he s pretty slow
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

Joe and Scotty nailed it. All the waterways are brackish to a point. New river is completely fresh for
days and sometimes weeks after heavy rains. And it's really doesn't take allot of rain. A number of reservoirs drain into all the waterways.

As said, check your salinity.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

Most of the gates have been running open most of the last few weeks, fresh water flowing heavily East bound, if memory serves me there is a gate just east of Dixie behind the school, and a full on pump station in Palm Aire, so it would be pretty much full on fresh up to that gate, open the gates to the outgoing tide and millions of gallons of fresh flows Eastward with the tide, close the gates and it takes several cycles of tide without the gates opening for that wall of fresh water to get diluted by salt... if you drop a shirmp bucket in and the shrimp die its either the water is to hot, to fresh, or has no oxygen..

Last weekend I was in S. B-Bay, and the water was damn near pure fresh water pretty far out into the Bay. To the uninformed that would be a surprising thing but it happens when the drainage canals are open, takes a few tide cycles of gates closed for the water anywhere near the shorelines there to right itself.

I used to work at 12th & Cypres for 20 plus years and walked that canal bank many days at lunch, between Powerline & Palm Aire pump station. Doesn't Cypress Creek and McKnab run parallel, I don't remember where they cross or come together until you are West of 441 at the T. Pike and thats for sure fresh.
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

I am wondering where shrimps are living that made a good run at the HB inlet two year ago?
People caught shrimp bucket after bucket at the inlet...

Here is google map showing inlet and where shrimp died.
I believe the place (mcnab and cypress) is still under influence by ocean tide...so there may be some tidal current...
Boats going out to inlet through these water ways...
shrimp died.jpg
shrimp died2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

Regardless of ocean tide influences fresh water runoff wins west of the intercoastal. When you have millions of gallons of fresh water dumped an hour it takes weeks of no dumping to clear up the water. My canal has tidal influence and with all the dumping this winter I have alage blooms right now plus the fish have fled the area minus the cichlids.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Understood...
I remember seeing spectacular scene where amazon fresh river and ocean water meet at disc. channel.

Still wondering how that many shrimps even live at ICW of HB inlet?
Maybe there are still enough salt waters at ICW not counting these canals...

fishnfool73

Post by fishnfool73 »

A lot of different factors at play regarding local shrimp. Not sure there are a lot of " local" shrimp involved in the Broward run. I feel a lot of those shrimp are from north and south of us. Any local shrimp would probably be from the mangroves in Dania or John Llyod are would be my guess. These areas hold a lot of salinity regardless of runoff.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

SaltyDog
KING MACKEREL

Post by SaltyDog »

kblue wrote:I am wondering where shrimps are living that made a good run at the HB inlet two year ago?
People caught shrimp bucket after bucket at the inlet...

Here is google map showing inlet and where shrimp died.
I believe the place (mcnab and cypress) is still under influence by ocean tide...so there may be some tidal current...
Boats going out to inlet through these water ways...
shrimp died.jpg
shrimp died2.jpg
Why dont you publish a write up on it

onitis
Fisher

Post by onitis »

In the lower right of the red circle is exactly where i am.Inthe half hr or so of the first day I tried Jan 2 I caught 4 small jacks a small mangrove and a sting ray all on live shrimp.The next day caught 2 jacks on a new batch of live shrimps but also after a half hr or so the rest were dead and no bites.I would imagine those salt water fish would need good oxygenated water and also salty water.Another bit of info,last year just a few blocks away caught blue cla w crabs rather frequently,this time put one of the jacks in the trap nada,even left it overnight unattended and the jack was intact the next morning.

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Many of the fish in brackish water have a high tolerances and adapt to the water. They go looking for food, spawning etc. You take shrimp from a SG of... let say, 1.026 and put them in a low end of the brackish water because of all the freshwater (1.001-1.005) you gonna shock them and wont be long before they are dead.

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

(tommy

Tap Water

My saltwater tank

fishnfool73

Post by fishnfool73 »

onitis wrote:In the lower right of the red circle is exactly where i am.Inthe half hr or so of the first day I tried Jan 2 I caught 4 small jacks a small mangrove and a sting ray all on live shrimp.The next day caught 2 jacks on a new batch of live shrimps but also after a half hr or so the rest were dead and no bites.I would imagine those salt water fish would need good oxygenated water and also salty water.Another bit of info,last year just a few blocks away caught blue cla w crabs rather frequently,this time put one of the jacks in the trap nada,even left it overnight unattended and the jack was intact the next morning.
Nope plenty of landlocked jacks west of the locks all the way out to the levee on Sawgrass. I watched about a 20 lb jack spool some poor bass fishermen in the Griffin canal.as well as landlocked UM lake. I have seen mangroves caught at Griffin and Nobhill. Fish can adapt over time.

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

I'm laughing to myself about his having something called a Milwakee Rectometer or something ridiculous to test water. Like the flux capacitor he tried to sell me. Where does he think these things up?

Then he posts a picture of his puke green Milwakee Rectometer to test water (tommy (tommy (tommy
Those old queen slave owners that wrote our Constitution 200 years ago were brilliant.

"Every four years Americans get the President they deserve".

fishnfool73

Post by fishnfool73 »

Kingofthesea wrote:I'm laughing to myself about his having something called a Milwakee Rectometer or something ridiculous to test water. Like the flux capacitor he tried to sell me. Where does he think these things up?

Then he posts a picture of his puke green Milwakee Rectometer to test water (tommy (tommy (tommy
He uses that to see how much water is in that pizz flavored excuse for beer he drinks. (tommy

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

You must be mistaken, snake man. I dont drink beer. I have a high salinity or so i have been told. (tommy

fishnfool73

Post by fishnfool73 »

Rare wrote:You must be mistaken, snake man. I dont drink beer. I have a high salinity or so i have been told. (tommy
Is that what your bridge buddies tell you ? (tommy

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Old age is affecting your judgement call. Old age also makes dusty salinity levels

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

I still don't like why jack in his trap is intake over night. Those water should have blue crabs...I know blue crabs can tolerate well fresh water as people catching them at upstream of Hudson River....

I speculate Maybe something going on at out backyard canal...

fishnfool73

Post by fishnfool73 »

kblue wrote:I still don't like why jack in his trap is intake over night. Those water should have blue crabs...I know blue crabs can tolerate well fresh water as people catching them at upstream of Hudson River....

I speculate Maybe something going on at out backyard canal...
Nope just his canal I crush the blue crabs behind my house in my pinfish trap.....

SaltyDog
KING MACKEREL

Post by SaltyDog »

Lol 90% of the feshwater is disgusting and about 75% on the intracoastal. As much as i know you would like to believe you are on to something you re not Jongy and there are blues everywhere

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

eatpop
eatpop
eatpop

lol

onitis
Fisher

Post by onitis »

Caught a few more fish today on the dead frozen shrimps including a barracuda and a palometa and some jacks all small.Will get some live shrimp again tommorrow and maybe not put them in the canal right away but add some canal water and give them some time to adapt

Return to “Bait Bucket”