Shrimp run?

This area is for those questions about bait how to catch it, keep it alive and so on.
kblue
SHARKER

Shrimp run?

Post by kblue »

I think i am gonna check out any shrimp run for this coming full moon...wondering if anyone saw any shrimp run this winter?

SaltyDog
KING MACKEREL

Re: Shrimp run?

Post by SaltyDog »

at the bait shop they had huge shrimp on Saturday night Joey mentioned he seen the shrimp boats which tells me there was a recent run. The next full moon with a good wind should get them going real good like i told you already :roll:

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

SaltyDog wrote:at the bait shop they had huge shrimp on Saturday night Joey mentioned he seen the shrimp boats which tells me there was a recent run. The next full moon with a good wind should get them going real good like i told you already :roll:
I know I know... But that was for pier...
my favorite shrimping places are Rickenbaker, Haulover inlet, Hills borough...

bluesea
Seasoned Fisher

Post by bluesea »

Shrimp were running last week, sometimes is a hit and miss when you go shrimping. If the shrimp boats are around is a good sign.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

bluesea wrote:Shrimp were running last week, sometimes is a hit and miss when you go shrimping. If the shrimp boats are around is a good sign.
Rickenbaker bridge?

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

kblue wrote:
bluesea wrote:Shrimp were running last week, sometimes is a hit and miss when you go shrimping. If the shrimp boats are around is a good sign.
Rickenbaker bridge?
yes

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

kblue wrote:
Rickenbaker bridge?
My experience over the past 40+ years is that its always hit & miss or hit & git shrimping.
The sign that they ran recently is when you see the new trucks on the side of the road selling fresh, or not necessarily so fresh, shrimp's.
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

krash wrote: My experience over the past 40+ years is that its always hit & miss or hit & git shrimping.
The sign that they ran recently is when you see the new trucks on the side of the road selling fresh, or not necessarily so fresh, shrimp's.
I checked Hillsborough inlet last night...I didn't see any single shrimp... I caught a lot last year...

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

kblue wrote:
krash wrote: My experience over the past 40+ years is that its always hit & miss or hit & git shrimping.
I checked Hillsborough inlet last night...I didn't see any single shrimp... I caught a lot last year...
When you say Hillsbourough and you caught a lot, what is a lot ?
Can a person/boat get a 5 gallon bucket limit, or are we talking a few dozen ?
Are these shrimp flowing out with the tide form the ICW or in from the Ocean ?

I've alway's shrimped B-Bay, as a kid we used to go form the seawalls at Dodge Island or from the old old Rickenbacker bridge, and there they ride the outgoing tide's out to the ocean. In the past 10 years or so we been hitting it by boat by the Rickenbacker... locate a spot, anchor up before the tide change, setup the lights and wait with the dip nets.
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

krash wrote:
kblue wrote:
When you say Hillsbourough and you caught a lot, what is a lot ?
Can a person/boat get a 5 gallon bucket limit, or are we talking a few dozen ?
Are these shrimp flowing out with the tide form the ICW or in from the Ocean ?

I've alway's shrimped B-Bay, as a kid we used to go form the seawalls at Dodge Island or from the old old Rickenbacker bridge, and there they ride the outgoing tide's out to the ocean. In the past 10 years or so we been hitting it by boat by the Rickenbacker... locate a spot, anchor up before the tide change, setup the lights and wait with the dip nets.
Not as much as those in Rickenbaker bridge.
A really good day, about 1/4 ~ 1/3 5 Gal bucket full.... I saw some caught 1/2 full... A guy on boat should catch limit...
Always, south corner of beginning of outgoing tide... But the whole run last less than about two weeks.

Return to “Bait Bucket”