"PILCHARD RINGS" - DIY ! ! !

This area is for those questions about bait how to catch it, keep it alive and so on.
ez2cdave
Fisher

"PILCHARD RINGS" - DIY ! ! !

Post by ez2cdave »

How to make pilchard rings

To All,

When I was growing up in South Florida, I used Pilchard Rings ( aka - "Ribbon Rigs" ) to catch baitfish ( Pilchards / Menhaden ) from the fishing piers . Recently, I discovered that they have been declared to be a "gill net", theoretically "illegal", and not available in stores anymore. I always used to make my own, as a kid.

So, for purely "historical value" . . .

"HOW TO MAKE PILCHARD RINGS"

MATERIALS :

6 ft. of #7 Dark-Colored, Solid Leader Wire

1 Barrel Swivel

1 Snap Swivel ( to allow weight changes )

Cardboard Toilet Paper or Paper Towel Tube ( 1" I.D. Sch. 40 PVC works great, too )

3 ft. of Bright Red Ribbon ( 3/8" - 1/2" wide )

Pyramid, Bank, or Dipsey/ Bass Sinker ( 3/4oz - 1 1/2oz +/- )

CONSTRUCTION :

(1) Start with a six-foot length of No. 7 dark leader wire.

(2) Bend it in half and slide on a barrel swivel.

(3) Tie a LOOSE, TWO-TURN, overhand knot in the wire near the bend to "capture" the swivel

(4) Form a loop, using a the toilet paper or paper towel tube ( or 1" I.D. Sch. 40 PVC pipe )as a "mandrel" ( you may need to vary the loop size depending on baitfish sizes in your area) and make a SINGLE-TURN Overhand Knot,

(5) ALTERNATE the direction of the Overhand Knots each time to help the rig hang straighter

(6) Repeat until you have a series of loops, leaving a couple of inches of wire free at the bottom

(7) Slip on the Snap Swivel and connect the loose ends of the wire, using a SHORT Haywire Twist

(8) Hold the rig at each end and pull on it to stretch the loops out into an oval shape

(9) Attach the bright red ribbon at one end by knotting it to the Swivel loop

(10) Pass the ribbon through rings one-third and two-thirds of the way up the rig

(11) Attach the ribbon to the other Swivel, leaving some slack in the ribbon when fully extended

(12) Attach the Sinker to the Snap Swivel and the rig is complete

HOW TO USE:

Tie the rig to a light spinning rod and lower or cast it into a baitfish school and let it sink. You will feel baitfish hitting the rig. Keep the line tight and wait for the rod to bend. When it does, wait a few seconds and reel up. Remove baitfish and repeat, as desired !

ez2cdave
Fisher

Re: "PILCHARD RINGS" - DIY ! ! !

Post by ez2cdave »

Home-Made Pilchard Rings
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ez2cdave on Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ez2cdave
Fisher

Post by ez2cdave »

more pics for reference
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

phino
Seasoned Fisher

Post by phino »

i remember using these back then. are these legal to use still? i thought they banned this? anyways, it was fun using them.
"A woman who has never seen her husband fishing, doesn’t know what a patient man she married!"

ez2cdave
Fisher

Post by ez2cdave »

Anyone had a go at making and using these Pilchard Rings yet ???

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

They are illegal as they are an ensnaring device and banned. :pistols:
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

Leadslinger
Old Salt

Post by Leadslinger »

I wonder, given the wording of the law being "wholly or partially monofilament" if the all wire design would be outside of that language?

I ain't volunteering to find out. Just curious

Return to “Bait Bucket”