LIVE CRAB - HELP

This area is for those questions about bait how to catch it, keep it alive and so on.
STARS6
Seasoned Fisher

LIVE CRAB - HELP

Post by STARS6 »

This weekend I will be at John Lloyd.
I'm going to be using live crabs that I'll get at Anglers B+T.
What is the proper way to put the hook to the crab and what would be the best type and size of hook ??
Thanx up front ----

GREENIES
STARS6

SnookMook
KING MACKEREL

Post by SnookMook »

That depends, I'm a Gulf Coaster, so I've gotta ask ya what fish are you targeting with the crabs as bait?

Master-Baiter
Old Salt

Post by Master-Baiter »

My drawing ain't too good, but this may help ya.

The method of coming through the top shell from underneath will also allow you to moved a dead crab in a similar manner to the way a live one would swim.

Going side to side through the rear swimmer-digger leg may keep it alive longer and make hookups a little easier.

There was a good video on youtube, but I could not find it again. :(

HTH
Master Baiter

STARS6
Seasoned Fisher

Post by STARS6 »

SnookMook -

Permit and Mutton Snapper

Thanx

STARS6

Thanx MB

Master-Baiter
Old Salt

Post by Master-Baiter »

As for hook size, when using any live or cut bait, I usually use the smallest hook I think will work, as long as the entire barb is fully exposed.

My hook inventory (short shank or circle) includes 2/0, 1/0, 1, 2, 4 & gold 12. I do have an assortment of other sizes, but I don't often run out and buy replacements for other styles or sizes when I run out.

I usually do not fish heavier than 12 lb test line, usually 8 lb test, so don't worry too much about hook strength. My hook of choice these days has been a 1/0 or 2/0 wire circle hook. With live shrimp, I sometimes will go down to a #4. If I get cut offs, I'll rig with some very light wire.

For crabs, you may want to use a thicker hook, wire won't penetrate the shell well, Owner, Gamatkasu, etc.

That's my preference, and I'm certain others have a different preference and good reasons for them.
Master Baiter

STARS6
Seasoned Fisher

Post by STARS6 »

Thanks Linesider --
I know about the full spool factor from the last permit I got from the beach. I wound up on the sandbar and almost got spooled. Fish was 21 lbs.
What kind of hook would you use ? i.e. circle, short shank ? etc.
While on the sandbar I remember worrying about predators such as 'cudas or sharks stealing my fish while we were in standoff mode - you know - not too much pressure/drag while he was resting. Kept telling myelf I'm in no hurry - got all day - I think.

SPINFISHER 700 W/20# ANDE PINK I'M ON A FISHIN' MISSION

STARS6

xtheline
Old Salt

Post by xtheline »

stars6 was that permit on a local beach? if so were you fishin' crab-blue or calico?
xtheline

STARS6
Seasoned Fisher

Post by STARS6 »

xtheline --

Actually that Permit hit a live shrimp.
I've always wondered if there was a crab nibbling on the bait shrimp and the fish hit the crab and in doing so got the shrimp along with the hook.
O.K. with me. That Permit was delicious and put up one hell of a fight.

Got him fishing the beach at John Lloyd Park about 200 yds south of the inlet.
I know Permit love crabs.

GREENIES
STARS6

SnookMook
KING MACKEREL

Post by SnookMook »

STARS6--Here's some info my pals on another Forum posted about fishing for Permit with crabs:

Post Title: Re: Crabs For Permit Best Hook and How? (SnookMook)
Posted by: fishnfool73 at 8:08 PM 12/26/2006

In the Keys on the bridges I like blue crabs for bait but in Broward on the piers I prefer calico crabs as both are from that area. I hook my crabs under one of the horns on the corner and rip all the claws and legs off to prevent the crab from climbing under rocks and I break off the horns on both sides. Hook size varies from a 3/0 - 5/0 but go on the larger side as permit are hard to hook in that tough mouth. I have tried circles on the bridges but prefer j's so far.

Posted by: grouperdigger15 at 11:25 PM 12/26/2006

When I fish for permit the best crab to use is the pass crab with a gamagatsu live bait hook in just below the horn, on a heavy spinner with ussually braid. I just freeline the crab over a wreck or similar structure

Post Title: Re: Crabs For Permit Best Hook and How? (grouperdigger15)
Posted by: Gamecock at 9:25 AM 12/27/2006

GD15 is right on. Except I use an Owner Gorilla hook (similar to the Gamakatsu) and 40 lb flouro leader. You have got to put pretty decent drag pressure on them these days, I lost almost half of my permit hookups last year to jewfish.

Posted by: Fisherman12 at 11:19 AM 12/27/2006

2/0 hook. I use owner, but whatever your preference is what you should go with.
Take the crab and lay him in your hand. At both ends there are points to his shell called the lateral spine. Now, in line with those, on the bottom side, about an 1/2 to an inch in from the tip is a softer spot. Hook from the bottom to the top. You will need to work in through the top shell after you pierce the under shell.

I always use power pro. It saves from replacing the line after every trip. Mono will become twisted, PP will continue to stay smooth and straight.

I tie a Bimini-twist and then connect that with about 3-4 feet of 30-40 lb fluorocarbon with a Yucatan knot. It dresses smooth and small, which makes it easier to go through the guides.

If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask

Post Title: Re: Crabs For Permit Best Hook and How? (Fisherman12)
Posted by: EricB at 12:12 PM 12/27/2006

I like the gamakatsu 4x strong live bait hooks in about a 4/0 or 6/0. These have a cutting point that makes it easy to pierce the hard shell. For most permit off the gulf coast I like to use a sivler dollar sized crab.
good luck

Post Title: Re: Crabs For Permit Best Hook and How? (EricB)
Posted by: Fisherman12 at 1:00 PM 12/27/2006

Quote, originally posted by EricB »
4/0 or 6/0.

I went back and looked because 2/0 didn't sound right. There are some 2/0 but I was using 4/0 last time out. We had some inexperience on the boat so they were using 5/0 Owner circle hooks

Post Title: Re: Crabs For Permit Best Hook and How? (Fisherman12)
Posted by: EricB at 1:32 PM 12/27/2006

while a 4/0 sounds big, the live bait style is actually pretty small. We use 9/0's for grouper and snapper fishing as a comparison. The 4x strongs are forged. They are really stiff-there is no bend or flex to them which is important given the toughness of the permit's mouth and "lips".

Hope this helps. These guys know there stuff and are straight up fisherman. :toast:
Last edited by SnookMook on Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

STARS6
Seasoned Fisher

Post by STARS6 »

HEY SNOOKMOOK !!!!

Thank you a million times !!

Charter member of "The Order of the Sleepless Knights"
STARS6

SnookMook
KING MACKEREL

Post by SnookMook »

STARS6--You're welcome. I've mostly fished crabs for Black Drum, Sheepies, Poons, and Redfish, in that order. Therefore, on the Permit, I deferred to some experts I've learned much from over the years.

SnookMook
KING MACKEREL

Post by SnookMook »

STARS6--Here's another post you might find helpful:

[QUOTE=Fisherman12]

Mook, I couldn't get live crab, but I could have dug in the freezer for one. But its late, and terminal laziness has taken over. So heres the next best thing:
Crab right, hook left
This is where the 'lateral spine' would be, but Berkley is too cheap to add them to the mold
finished product

Hope this is helpful. Cheers.

STARS6
Seasoned Fisher

Post by STARS6 »

Thanks again everyone !

Happy and safe New Year to all !!

STARS6

SnookMook
KING MACKEREL

Post by SnookMook »

Stars6--Here's one more tip from a real good buddy of mine, who fishes for Poons and Permit all the time:

same crabs we toss for tarpon... Pass Crabs or REALLY litle blues... silver dollar in size. Hook with an owner 4/0 through the spine, coming up from the bottom... don't go in to0o far towards the center of the carapice as some have suggested... that will kill the crab by piercing its lung...

This is from a real trusted and serioius fisherman. One of my real good friends. We fish for Poons at Boca Grande Pass every season.

ddratler
Old Salt

Re: LIVE CRAB - HELP

Post by ddratler »

not to change the subject of crabs, but do you know if the permit run inbetween the beach and sand bar, or past the first sandbar? (this is for broward and dade beaches)
fishings only boring if you suck at catching fish

Dani D

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

They do both.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

TheCigarCritic
Fisher

Post by TheCigarCritic »

How well does the berkley gulp crab work? I bought some of the 2" blue crab variety to try on tailing reds, but I have yet to use them. What's your verdict on them?

Thanks in advance.

Return to “Bait Bucket”