How To Hook A Crab

This area is for those questions about bait how to catch it, keep it alive and so on.
Chevy Juan
GOLIATH GROUPER

How To Hook A Crab

Post by Chevy Juan »

Title says it all guys, just wanted to lend a helping hand for any Anglers who have a bit of a struggle when trying to Hook a Crab for bait or anyone new at the Sport who has come across this and wants more insight.

Along with my basic and simple advice for you guys are some Pictures to go along so you can see what I'm talking about and help you through the process. Keep at it everyone, Tight Lines.

First off just like with Live Bait, Cut Bait etc, Match your Hook Size with the Size of your Crabs.

All the Spots where I have suggested to Hook a Crab are through the Actual External Top Shell of it due to the fact that, it is where I find it to stay put the Best.

Here I will show you where I have Hooked the Crab from a Previous Trip so you can see the initial idea of what is going on.

Next is a picture that has to do with Presentation. Just like Live/Cut Bait, Presentation is Key and I believe does play a Roll on success in catching Fish, so with that said we always want to avoid a Cracked shell when Hooking your Crab. Besides the fact that it does not look more natural or cleaner, with the Current or natural movement in the water, with a Cracked shell and wider space for the Hook, the Hook can actually dislodge from the Crab leaving you with nothing on your line.

Next I'll guide you through the simple steps to Hooking the Crab so you can be on your way to getting your gear in the water and be ready for the hit!

My biggest piece of advice and suggestion to you all when doing this is to take your time, if not it will not go well and you will end up with a Cracked shell. Remember, once Crabs have been taken home, Frozen, Then thawed out, the top shell before more brittle therefore you need to be careful when going out there and doing this. With that said, always apply pressure with two fingers (or whatever is comfortable) to the top shell when proceeding to penetrate the Hook through as shown in the picture below.

Once you have started that, take a look at the shell and notice where the tip will be penetrating. You will see a whiteish mark in which is indicating that you are almost there to get through. Check out the picture below and you will see for yourself.

Next, continue applying pressure until you get through and you are pretty much on your way. Once the tip of the hook breaches the top side of the shell, here is where the pressure drops some, and instead of forcing it through, you want to carefully move the hook in a back and forth motion to create a slim space so that it finally makes it out.

Here is where the Hook is pretty much on its way out.

You always want to go along the curvature of the Hook you are using so it makes it easier on yourself when Hooking a Crab for bait. Here is a final shot of the Crab Hooked through the Rear and you are all set!

Hope you guys found this helpful, any feedback or added suggestions would be greatly appreciated, if anyone needs any further help let me know.

cyril1974
KING MACKEREL

Re: How To Hook A Crab

Post by cyril1974 »

yeah... this is awesome.. thanks!!!

Charles

YUDRAS
Weekend Warrior

Post by YUDRAS »

That is some detailed info man. Great job and thanks for putting in the time and effort. Much appreciated. Hope to put it to use soon.

Yudras

Swordslayer71
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Swordslayer71 »

That second picture posted in the original post is how I've always hooked them, but in general any point mentioned in the pictures I agree with. Fantastic job on making a perfect picture tutorial and write up on how to hook a live crab. :toast:
Hold Fast

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

very nice of you Juan :toast:

rshields
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by rshields »

Now that's a great post...answers for newbies and all who need the pics. Thanks :toast:

yellow0wing
Fisher

Post by yellow0wing »

Great How To. Many thanks!

This how to should be made into a sticky for future reference.
My worst day fishing is always better then my best day working!

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

ok sooo where r da perms :mrgreen:

jason_b_2
Fisher

Post by jason_b_2 »

I use an awl to put the hole in the top of the shell. I find it helps keep your hook points sharp and lessens cracking.

Chevy Juan
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Chevy Juan »

Thats a work in progress for me right now Raul, in due time though papo. 8)

Boca Jetty Rat
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Boca Jetty Rat »

I notice you are using a offset eye hook. How do you attach your leader to the offset eye. Do you snell or just attached a uni knot. Nice read. Do you find with larger crabs that when going threw both top and bottom shells it cuts the hook up ratio down.

Chevy Juan
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Chevy Juan »

Thanks for all the feedback guys, highly appreciated!!

Boca, thanks bro and with the offset hook eye I do as a normal eye and go with a clinch knot and am good to go, do you usually snell or how does that work out for you?

As far as larger crabs go I still go through top and bottom and the hook ups ive had have been solid but I have also not tried going through just top or bottom but its something id give it a shot, you ever only go through top?

Chevy Juan
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Chevy Juan »

LOL Nelson you know whats good brah, appreciate it man. :mrgreen:

Chevy Juan
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Chevy Juan »

I must say Nelson that is one fine job on the snell brotha..Picture seems familiar too!! lol.. :thumright:

Zebco
KING MACKEREL

Post by Zebco »

8) I hook them thru the nostrils so they swim right when I reel them in.
............... Image

Don't even think about it

Boca Jetty Rat
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Boca Jetty Rat »

I snell my off sets. I lost some fish this spring using snelled hooks running the hook threw both top and bottom shell. I've gone to going threw only the top shell, threw digger fin joint, on larger crabs and gone back to non off set circles attached with a uni knot. I havnt fished live crabs since May.

bunun
Seasoned Fisher

Post by bunun »

thanks, what do you catch with crab as bait ?

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

bunun wrote:thanks, what do you catch with crab as bait ?
permit ,cobia,tarpon,hogsnaspper etc.

Chevy Juan
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Chevy Juan »

Muttons will hit a crab too, I get ya boca sounds good man.

Boca Jetty Rat
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Boca Jetty Rat »

This is very informative. I tend to use larger calico's that I catch in the surf. I never buy crabs. I was experimenting with different rigs this spring, like different hook sizes, leaders, weights, and lost some fish on different rigs. I feel I tend to use larger crabs then pictured. I don't buy into "silver dollar sized" crabs. Hook size/type, leader size comes into play after the basic how to hook up crabs that should be mentioned. But for an informative how to this is good. Catching crab eaters from the beaches and jetties where I'm at is hard work. I got sucked back into snook this fall but will be back to the crabs shortly. Good stuff man. :toast:

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

chevyjuan99 wrote:Muttons will hit a crab too, I get ya boca sounds good man.
i know somebody that hook a cuda with a crab :D

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

Boca Jetty Rat wrote:I snell my off sets. I lost some fish this spring using snelled hooks running the hook threw both top and bottom shell. I've gone to going threw only the top shell, threw digger fin joint, on larger crabs and gone back to non off set circles attached with a uni knot. I havnt fished live crabs since May.
If you tied the snell correctly I highly doubt you lost your fish because of the offset hook using Snelling. When Snelling the hook it is more direct and less chances of movement from the knot on the hook's eye. But fishing is all about confidence so what works for you just stick to it.
The Judge asked the prostitute, "At what point did you realize you were raped?"
The prostitute replied (wiping away tears), "When the check bounced."

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

Boca Jetty Rat wrote:This is very informative. I tend to use larger calico's that I catch in the surf. I never buy crabs. I was experimenting with different rigs this spring, like different hook sizes, leaders, weights, and lost some fish on different rigs. I feel I tend to use larger crabs then pictured. I don't buy into "silver dollar sized" crabs. Hook size/type, leader size comes into play after the basic how to hook up crabs that should be mentioned. But for an informative how to this is good. Catching crab eaters from the beaches and jetties where I'm at is hard work. I got sucked back into snook this fall but will be back to the crabs shortly. Good stuff man. :toast:
I use 7/0 circle hooks for Snelling. I don't use small crabs because I target large Permits. Size of crabs I use is about 4"-5". You will be surprise how small a permit will eat a large crab. I find permit feeding in current don't really care about leader diameter as long the presentation is correct. However, chasing them on the flats are totally different story. Leaders, size of bait, and proper presentation is important. They are very spook on the flats. Just like a buck walking through the woods during deer season.

Depending on the crab's shell I will hook it through the leg in through top shell. If the shell is soft I go through side of the body. Keep in mind Permit has crushers so it doesn't matter if you hook it through top and bottom or top only. Their crushers will crush the crab flat and most of the time your hook comes off with a tiny shell still attached to it. That is why I choose circle hooks so they hook themselves as they swim away.

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

rare wrote:
bolo wrote:But fishing is all about confidence so what works for you just stick to it.

I work with 4 main knots for fishing. I know them by heart & what Bolo said above is priceless. I rather know 4 knots & get them down to a T. rather than 10+ & thinking it would hold okay.
Wait till you start speed jigging. That's a whole set of knots you going to need to learn. :D

Congrats on your Permit this weekend.

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

permitchaser wrote:
chevyjuan99 wrote:Muttons will hit a crab too, I get ya boca sounds good man.
i know somebody that hook a cuda with a crab :D
:mrgreen:

Return to “Bait Bucket”