Cast nets?

This area is for those questions about bait how to catch it, keep it alive and so on.
BoatlessFisherman
Fisherman - Owner - Administrator

Post by BoatlessFisherman »

6 and a 12 Don't know what kind and don't even know where I got them, its been that long.
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

jighead
Old Salt

Post by jighead »

BF like you I have a "broward"net and a 10' like HammerHead.Holy cow dogs and cats living together!Quick, cover yourselves with hot butter and garlic! Seriously how do you care for them? Hang 'em up,clean and dry then soak in hair conditioner a 50 to 1 mix then dry again would be my MO.

bobwired
Weekend Warrior

cast net

Post by bobwired »

4' and 8' both cheapo blue from walmart. super spreader or something

jad1097
Seasoned Fisher

Post by jad1097 »

I have a couple cheap 6 footers. Didn't notice any difference using softener. Half the time I forget to rinse them.

I wonder if anything can be done about the 7' limit on cast nets in Broward?
"All that serves labor serves the nation. All that harms labor is treason to America. No line can be drawn between the two. . . . There is no America without labor, and to fleece the one is to rob the other."

-- Abraham Lincoln

Master-Baiter
Old Salt

Post by Master-Baiter »

jad1097 wrote:I have a couple cheap 6 footers. Didn't notice any difference using softener. Half the time I forget to rinse them.

I wonder if anything can be done about the 7' limit on cast nets in Broward?
I don't recall ever seeing or hearing of it being enforced.
Master Baiter

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

6' elcheapo blue from walmart super spreader when I have shallow and rocks :thumright:

10' Ahi 600 for small baits.

jighead
Old Salt

Post by jighead »

14th street causeway in pompano, fellow fisher approched me and said he had received a ticket from pompano BSO marine. This occured almost two years ago. He didn't show me ticket,but I was throwing an eight footer at the time and heeded his warning.

BoatlessFisherman

There is no such State law on Cast nets in Broward and citys can not tell you what you can use to fish, that is the job of the State.
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

BoatlessFisherman

Well I stand corrected until I check this Law with FWC, I was told that there was no law by FWC but I did not have this to reference, but it does seem to be on the books, this is what happens when too much info is available. Someone needs to simplify things. I think this may be and old law.

The bottom piece references the change from Marine patrol to Fwc and I am not sure what that means yet, but I will find out.

But outside of a common cast net you could not use any net Hummmm

BROWARD COUNTY
Ch. 25714 (1949).
AN ACT prohibiting the use of fish nets in the salt waters
of Broward County, Florida, except a common cast or throw
net which shall not exceed seven feet in length.

Section 1. That no person, firm or corporation shall use or
cause to be used any net or nets in the salt waters of Broward
County, Florida, for the purpose of taking or catching fish,
provided that this section shall not apply to a common cast or
throw net which is not in excess of seven feet in length.
Section 2. Anyone violating any of the provisions of this
act shall be fined in the sum of not exceeding $500.00 or by
imprisonment not exceeding six months or by both such fine
and imprisonment.
Editor's note—This act became a rule pursuant to Laws of Fla. ch.
83-134.
-Tommy A-

gonesharkfishin'
Old Salt

Post by gonesharkfishin' »

8, 10 , 12 feet
Last edited by gonesharkfishin' on Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Got Sharks?

phillybass71
BOATLESS FISHING Honorary Guide

Post by phillybass71 »

I got 2 seven footers and yes broward enforces the law cost me $10 a foot for my 15 footer :( :( :(
Plz put back the small ones.

Lomax
Old Salt

Post by Lomax »

... Yep. 7 foot in Broward. You can still possess a larger one, just can't be seen using it in the country.

Also, to care for your nets periodically, soak in hot water and a clothes softener you use for washing machines, then rinse. This will keep your net from drying out. Some people do not care. But for me, I tend to care for what costs me a large pretty penny. Some nets you should hang once in awhile, some do not need it. The soft nets are fine not doing so. The stiff puffy typed are better so it stretches them out and prevents them from becoming a smaller diameter in size when using.

screamendrag
Seasoned Fisher

Post by screamendrag »

Gotta be about the worst feeling in the world when you feel it stuck then you just know you have to pull it out :cry: And you feel it shred to peices.....sucks

Thats 7' radius right..?

frentals
KING MACKEREL

Post by frentals »

7ft betts
economy tackle, sarasota

Big Daddy
Old Salt

Post by Big Daddy »

economy tackle, sarasota
Blast from the past-used to go there with my dad as a young lad-in my 50's now. Probably still open.
Wanna go fishin?
We ain't left yet?

BD

MoJo
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by MoJo »

BoatlessFisherman wrote:Well I stand corrected until I check this Law with FWC, I was told that there was no law by FWC but I did not have this to reference, but it does seem to be on the books, this is what happens when too much info is available. Someone needs to simplify things. I think this may be and old law.

The bottom piece references the change from Marine patrol to Fwc and I am not sure what that means yet, but I will find out.

But outside of a common cast net you could not use any net Hummmm

BROWARD COUNTY
Ch. 25714 (1949).
AN ACT prohibiting the use of fish nets in the salt waters
of Broward County, Florida, except a common cast or throw
net which shall not exceed seven feet in length.

Section 1. That no person, firm or corporation shall use or
cause to be used any net or nets in the salt waters of Broward
County, Florida, for the purpose of taking or catching fish,
provided that this section shall not apply to a common cast or
throw net which is not in excess of seven feet in length.
Section 2. Anyone violating any of the provisions of this
act shall be fined in the sum of not exceeding $500.00 or by
imprisonment not exceeding six months or by both such fine
and imprisonment.
Editor's note—This act became a rule pursuant to Laws of Fla. ch.
83-134.
Length = spread??

MoJo
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by MoJo »

And as for the topic im using 1 of these. as far as i know there oany sold on the net.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Easy-Throw-Net-5-Jo ... dZViewItem

I use this because i have a few herniated disks and they effect my left arm strength so this helps nicely.

fishandchicks
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by fishandchicks »

my godfathers dad used to make longline nets in peurto rico and last year i gave him 25 bucks for supplies and let him look at my 6 foot net and he made the nicest net ive ever seen. to bad it got stolen last december in naples :cry: now im back to that crappy 6 footer.

Filletnrelease
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Filletnrelease »

While this may not be the right area to ask this question, please bear with me I am new to your forum. Since I am planning a trip over to fish the piers in the area, Anglins, Deer Field and where ever else I end up, my question is can you use cast nets for bait off of these piers? I am from the West Coast, and some places frown on it. Thanks.

fishandchicks
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by fishandchicks »

you arent supposed to but if your gunna do it, make 1 or 2 good throws then put it away.

Filletnrelease
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Filletnrelease »

Appreciate the feed back. I don't really like breaking or bending the rules much. New guy on the block and all. Any place near these piers where bait is accessible with a net. I have a good live well and can keep bait alive for days if needed. Again thanks for any/all info, I am really looking forward to this trip. It has been many moons since I have done any serious fishing on the East Coast and this is my first trip to these piers.
Jack

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

Which piers will you be fishing mullet, pilchards, and sand perch are around soem of the piers in the canals.

Filletnrelease
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Filletnrelease »

The story is, my wife has to attend some classes in Ft. Lauderdale sometime after Spring break and since it's paid for by her company, I feel compelled to tag along and get some fishing in. My plan was to try Deerfield and Anglins for sure. I planned on striking up some conversation with the locals on any other places they might suggest, as well as any other help regarding baits etc. Listen and learn. I will have 4 days and if I can talk her into it, maybe a couple of nights. The days will be Mon-Thurs, and again if I can sweet talk her into maybe Friday with her along. She is a catcher not a fisher. If they don't bite she loses interest real quick. Thanks again for your help, and any and all suggestions will be more than welcome, and I hope to get an opportunity to meet up with some of you East Coast Pier Rats.
Jack

TheApprentice
Seasoned Fisher

Post by TheApprentice »

I have a question here: You guys are all listing the diameter of your nets but not the size mesh. Does that mean that something like 3/8ths is an accepted standard and good for most baits.

When I've gone asking around it seems like 3/8ths is about the accepted standard for people who catch a lot of bait.

Would a 10' 3/8ths inch mesh betts net be a good quality starter net?

MoJo
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by MoJo »

TheApprentice wrote:I have a question here: You guys are all listing the diameter of your nets but not the size mesh. Does that mean that something like 3/8ths is an accepted standard and good for most baits.

When I've gone asking around it seems like 3/8ths is about the accepted standard for people who catch a lot of bait.

Would a 10' 3/8ths inch mesh betts net be a good quality starter net?
Yes but dont use it in broward county.....5ft limit in broward.

Actualy depending on your experience you might want to start with a 5 footer

TheApprentice
Seasoned Fisher

Post by TheApprentice »

Just got back from basspro where my buddy convinced me to go with a bigger net even though I'm a total rookie. He told me that it would be better to learn on a bigger net and that something in the 9-10 foot range is not that much more difficult than a little one.

So says he.

We'll see. I know I'm excited about learning. I'm usually pretty good about picking this kind of stuff up. Biggest fear is trashing the thing on some barnacles before I get the hang of it. I know one thing, I'm going to be very careful about letting it sink too much down at the inlet.

I got a 9' Betts 'old salt' with 3/8ths inch mesh.

ripnlips
Seasoned Fisher

Post by ripnlips »

if i'm on a pier i throw my 10' - 1/4" mesh super spreader gs1500. best net for the buck. paid $89.99 for it and i use it nearly every weekend.

monoxide
Fisher

Re: Cast nets?

Post by monoxide »

i have a 6ft 3/8s mesh i had a 4 ft 3/8s mesh that had a few holes in it i left at my bros and next time i go over he is giving me his friends 7ft net they ripped it just needs a small hole fixed and a draw string put on. even if i caant fix it i dont lose any thing. lol

Return to “Bait Bucket”