Sand Fleas How to see them and catch them

This area is for those questions about bait how to catch it, keep it alive and so on.
jighead
Old Salt

Post by jighead »

I've seen those as well Rijkaard I'll bet it works great. I've been meaning to get one of those myself! I've got some business down your way this evening as long as the pager doesn't go off maybe we can put it to use. TIGHT LINES!!!

jighead
Old Salt

Post by jighead »

Rijkaard, That hasn't stopped me in the past . :lol: :lol: :lol:

jighead
Old Salt

Post by jighead »

Rijkaard, I am no longer going to make an effort to fish with you,WHY?!? :? I hate my job this time I got to 17th street and the many bad words :evil: pager went off AGAIN!!! Rijkaard, I hope you are very successful this evening and all that is good is with you! TIGHT LINES!!! Oh just kidding about the getting together.

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

Finding fleas is easy I just look for LOMAX cooler and there they are. :P I have seen them in the lights at Pompano Pier at night and done well on them digging by hand. Look for hard packed sand and early morning is the best before the beach walkers scare them off.

Lomax
Old Salt

Post by Lomax »

... Anytime you need them. :wink:

Fleas are there at night. And they do not run and hide from people. They are just harder to see in the day when the sun is getting higher, unless there are clouds. I have loaded up at night right next to my feet while fishing the beach in the dark. Moonlight showed me everything. Only the cold makes them dig down over the edges and stay away.

Stilts

Post by Guest »

Watch the long legged stilts. They are a skinny, long legged bird that loves sand fleas. By watching them you can also find the fleas when the are just inside the surf wash. They will catch one and then bring it up on the beach and eat it. Watch nature it is one of the best sources of information there is. My Grandpa taught me this.

Jimmy

cotton
Weekend Warrior

Post by cotton »

Lomax; since its gotten cold here (Gulf Shores Alabama) do the sand fleas dig down far in the sand, and do they move further up the beach away from the tideline?
thanks,
Kevin

bluerunner
Seasoned Fisher

Post by bluerunner »

Ok, now that I've learned how/when to catch the sand fleas, the next step is what is the best way to get it hooked up. Also which fish desires it the most???
Bluerunner say- If you teach a man to fish, then thats one less fish for you :)

Gotcha
KING MACKEREL

Post by Gotcha »

The hook is placed through the rear of the sand flea and it comes up through the back.

BoatlessFisherman
Fisherman - Owner - Administrator

Post by BoatlessFisherman »

Read this on how to hook a snad flea
http://boatlessfishing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2382[/url]
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

maoriii
Weekend Warrior

Post by maoriii »

Can anyone give me some help with finding fleas in Deerfield or Boca? I have tried Spanish River a few times and not had any luck.

PBFisher
Seasoned Fisher

Post by PBFisher »

Bridge Rat is right. If they are rocks or shells, they will move around with each wave. If they stay in the same place wave after wave they are fleas.

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

We used to catch those on the sea walls when I was a kid. Free lined on a small hook they swim and the snapper tear them up. We would use an old rope and smack them against the wall to kill them they would fall in and free chum for the mangrove snapper. We always called them sea roaches no sure what their real name is. Try them I am sure they will catch something.

Frogfish101
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Frogfish101 »

Are there a lot of Sandfleas in Pompano Beach? Will they still be there in Dec/Jan?

Also, will there be sandfleas in Ormond Beach, just north of Daytona?
I'm asking this because I'll be staying right on the beach, and I want to dig for them at dusk or early dawn so i can use them through the day...

Thanks!
"Our lives are defined by the sum of our ventures into the unknown."
-Juro Mukai

joejankees@hotmail.com
Fisher

Are Sand fleas the same as sand crabs?

Post by joejankees@hotmail.com »

My grandparents have a vacation home on the Beach in Ocean City Maryland. It is where my first taste of fishing came from.

I used to spend the entire summer there until I was about eight (1972). We used to dig in the sand and find what we called sand crabs. On the top they sort of looked like micro armadillos on the bottom they had tiny legs and looked crab like in a strange way. I really can't explain it.

The big ones were about two inches. Most over an inch though. Last time we were there (1997 or 98) We dug in the sand for about a half hour and caught a few dozen. They are really plentiful there. Always have been, The surf is almost always between three and six feet at our location. Sometimes much higher. Maybe that is why.

I would really appreciate it if someone could display a picture of a sand flea on the forum to see if it is the same thing. We have dug in the sand on Miami Beach and Crandon park looking for them but have never found one.

In the meantime, I look forward to my next beach visit to use Tommy's advice.
If I could be any kind of fish, I would be a fisherman

baitwetter
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by baitwetter »

Sad to be sitting out this years Shorebound Shark Tourney due to work issues. Good luck to all that participate!!!

joejankees@hotmail.com
Fisher

Post by joejankees@hotmail.com »

Thank you. These are the same thing except they look alot smaller that what we find in Ocean city.

I am going to try and locate some the next time I am at the beach.

Thanks again.
If I could be any kind of fish, I would be a fisherman

NICK123
KING MACKEREL

Post by NICK123 »

does any one have any good sand flea spots and does any body ever see them at anglins

snj35
Fisher

Post by snj35 »

I went to Oakland Park beach today and slayed the sand fleas I didnt have a sand flea catcher so I used my hands caught about 100 of them I also caught something that looks like a sand flea but its twice the size has two antenna coming out of its head and has two claws kinda looks like a sand flea on steroids.

joey outlaw
Fisher

Post by joey outlaw »

great info. what can I expect to catch with them? Ive tried them before but no luck. Maybe I was a little to impatient tho.

Pier#r
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Pier#r »

Just about anything that walks or swims near the surf zone will eat them.
I've even occasionally seen jacks, seatrout and flounder caught on them.
Most common are the drums (red & black) and kingfishes (any of the 3 species), pompano (a species of jack BTW) sheepshead, small sharks and rays.

Here's a link to some more info:
http://life.bio.sunysb.edu/marinebio/softshore.html

Mole crab burying itself...

How they group up during the tide cycles...

Closeup crossection of mole crab in 'feeding mode'.
The little 'dimples' you see as a wave receeds are the mole crabs feathery antennae straining food particles...

Mole crab with eggs...

The rarer Spiney Mole Crab Blepharipoda occidentalis next to a common Mole Crab (family Emerita)...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippoidea
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerita_%28genus%29

Some good YouTube vids of mole crabs in action...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWZ_7xHi10o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa0uzTe0gCg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmSY5T-0w0w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkWlyJ-cfm0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFn2YCP6F5k&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEie2VDYEmg&NR=1

joey outlaw
Fisher

Post by joey outlaw »

Im taking my daughter to the beach today to catch sandfleas.
Tomorrow night I will go to Naples pier to try them out.

Green Tide
SHARKER

Re: Sand Fleas How to see them and catch them

Post by Green Tide »

I have caught them at haulover at night using the light from the pier. Then go over to the bridge and there is some huge sheephead at the fenders. 5-7 lb range
One thing not mentioned that might help a beginner is you should sweep the rake from the water up towards the drybeach for easiest digging and best catching. Sounds like the obvious to those who have done it, but so does directions for throwing a large cast net.

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

Boca Jetty Rat
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Boca Jetty Rat »

Funny I read this post years ago and could'nt really see the fleas in the pic. Now I see them plane as day. If you hunt the surf long enuf then you will see the big ones vs. the small ones, and see calico crabs when they are on the beach trying to hide. Beware of cheap flea rakes. They won't last if you are using it a long time or all the time. Try to get a light weight rake but one that is solid. :toast:

mmcauliffe
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by mmcauliffe »

Boca Jetty Rat wrote: They won't last if you are using it a long time or all the time. Try to get a light weight rake but one that is solid. :toast:
Or find a buddy that has a TIG welder and knows how to use it. I had my BPS flea rake reinforced :mrgreen:
The problem with writing about religion is that you run the risk of offending sincerely religious people, and then they come after you with machetes.

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

If someone has a good design I could be talked into making them for you. I can also reinforce them but if they are cheap Aluminum it won't help much.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

Return to “Bait Bucket”