Sand Fleas How to see them and catch them

This area is for those questions about bait how to catch it, keep it alive and so on.
BoatlessFisherman
Fisherman - Owner - Administrator

Sand Fleas How to see them and catch them

Post by BoatlessFisherman »

Read the entire thread there is other info posted further down by other members and the info is Great.

As requested how to see Sand fleas, this is the best so far I can get them to come out, they do not like to be photographed.
Water is reseeding and you will see a spot that looks like pepples as the water runs over them, sometimes it is shells, but if they are in bunches its a dead a give away that it is fleas.

Fleas do spread out sometimes, but in most cases they move in groups.

The larger the the V the bigger the Flea

The Vee as everyone talks about is the water running around there antenna or feelers.

If there is alot of people walking you will not see them they will hide, you want a beach with very little traffic.

They can feel you coming from the vibration in the water.

So what I do is spot them and then walk on the sand up above them 20 feet away quietly and as the water goes back down I go done with it and scoop where I saw them, this is better than walking up on them sideways, your aim and location is more precise from above and all you have to do is walk down on them.
Center of pic shows start of Flea pod, the v in this pic is not well defined. can you see the pepples?
Flea Pod is center at surf agian the V is not so easy to get in pics. This group looks like pepples in this pic
The best pic of the V below
A little closer

How to catch them:
1.Sand Flea rake

2.By hand

Last edited by BoatlessFisherman on Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

jake in jupiter
Seasoned Fisher

Post by jake in jupiter »

Get yourself an inexpensive rake at a tackle store and hit the beach. At first it will all look the same to you, but then you will come to notice the tell tale differences between rocks and fleas. And you don't have to spring for the super big rakes, the smallest size works just fine.

SnookWizzard
Seasoned Fisher

Post by SnookWizzard »

I was in WallyWorld (walmart) fishing section the other day & was surprized to see all aluminum quality flea rakes....Looked the same as the ones at Bass Pro....Both these stores are much cheaper than most local tackle shops if you want to save 5-10 bucks.....................................I've got an old wood one I found at a garage sale...If I can find a way to get it posted, you may want to try building one yourself if you're Handy....Couple pieces of wood, a 4'handle, & some 3/8" or so galvanized wire mesh screen...a short section of galv. sheet metal for the leading edge of the screen that digs into the sand & you're good to go...A piece of narrow (1 1/2-2") roofing flashing, the 90 degree sheetmetal on the edges of the roof can be hammered closed for this...it can be found on any new roofing job as trash, 14"-16"long..the wood might be on the same pile too.........SW
~~~~~~~~)>>))))))(*>~~~~~><C'>~~ holy crap!

BoatlessFisherman

My big one there is made from 1/2 sheet metal screws, 2 inch Angle Metal, Old Shrimp net handle, wire mess screen.

Took me about an hour and half to make.
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

jighead
Old Salt

Post by jighead »

Is that your secret (big rake) to staying in shape! :lol:

BoatlessFisherman

Yea right, Advise to who may make a rake, the smaller the better.

My little one is all I use anymore

Large rakes are alot of work and one person useing fleas does not need one.
-Tommy A-

SnookWizzard
Seasoned Fisher

Post by SnookWizzard »

Tried to post earlier, but this msn cookie thing wouldn't let me after 15 min.........You must have arms like Popeye..... I'm gonna add teeth VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV to my rake to make it easier to enter the freshly packed sand........When the fleas are few, it gets pretty tough after an hour or so of steady trying.....can't even imagine that monster rake without them......SW

PBFisher
Seasoned Fisher

Post by PBFisher »

I just came back from a trip to Palm Beach looking for fleas. Of course I was doing everything wrong. Walking in the surf. Looking for individual crabs. I saw several formations that looked like your pix, but thought they were shells and stones. Christmas!!! Thanks a ton boatless.

BoatlessFisherman

PB it is the way the water moves around each one, the pods will look more simular IMO to a group of shells or pepples, in a circle or oblong circle..

The difference between shells is the shells will be scattered along the beach. the Fleas will bulk up in one area so you will have pretty much smoothness around the pods.

What will be cool about BIG FISH Club is this will give us all time to exchange this kind of info while we fish.

It is much easier to show someone.

But if you keep digging it will all click, once you find them 3 times in a row.

Pm me if you want more info, maybe I could give you a call if it is not clear.

Snookwizard yes it can be challeging after a few pulls, tell you the truth I never use unless the pods are thick and it gets the whole pod, I also only flea in soft sand, reason is I find that the soft sand areas have more and it is not easy pulling a rake through hard sand without teeth, I have thought of adding it but I don't use that one really much any more.
-Tommy A-

PBFisher
Seasoned Fisher

Post by PBFisher »

Thanks Tom. I will try again tomorrow and let you know how I made out. Did you rake them up after taking pix? how many did you get?

BoatlessFisherman

I raked to see the size at a few different areas and they are all were good size, and alot of fleas friday evening, I did not keep any I have enough in my freezer to start fishing now and when they are where I am fishing I rake as I need.
I just always keep some back up so I can get started fishing if i don't have any alive.
-Tommy A-

PBFisher
Seasoned Fisher

Post by PBFisher »

Ok checked the tide chart and high tide was 9:53am. Waited until 11:30 to have the tide heading out. Got to the beach and all the parking spots were taken. Within 15 minutes somebody pulled out and left me with over an hour on the meter. Obviously the beach was pretty crowded. I hiked south beyond the public beach to where the private homes are. Here the beach was not crowded, but I was never alone. Walked well over a mile, keeping my feet dry, but saw nothing like Tom's pix. Maybe Sunday at noon was not a good idea. Think I'll try it again Tuesday. The beach should be a bit more lonely. If that doesn't work, I'll head north to McArthur Park.

SnookWizzard
Seasoned Fisher

Post by SnookWizzard »

BoatlessFisherman wrote:

Snookwizard yes it can be challeging after a few pulls, tell you the truth I never use unless the pods are thick and it gets the whole pod, I also only flea in soft sand, reason is I find that the soft sand areas have more and it is not easy pulling a rake through hard sand without teeth, I have thought of adding it but I don't use that one really much any more.
.................................................................................................How about a handle on each side for team flea'n????..maybe one day prior to a get together, we could have a Flea competition???...Of course, you would not be able to use the "big Daddy", but it may be educational & fun...:D :D :D , not to mention preparedness for the coming pomps...SW

PBFisher
Seasoned Fisher

Post by PBFisher »

I'm in. What's the booby prize? Seriously a demonstration would be much appreciated. Also I understand sheepshead like em. Those rascals seem to suck the frozen shimp of my hooks. I'd love to have a chance against them.

BoatlessFisherman

Just Micro ones today at Fort Lauderdale Beach
-Tommy A-

PBFisher
Seasoned Fisher

Post by PBFisher »

YEAAAA GOT FLEAS!!! :P Well I couldn't figure it out for myself so I pm'd Tom and we got together on soft sanded Fort Lauderdale beach. The little rascals were everywhere. Gonna try it solo this week at juno. Thanks Tom.

jighead
Old Salt

Post by jighead »

Cool It was so obvious once you had a pro show you. I get a kick out of all these little victorys.GOOD LUCK!!!

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

jighead wrote:Cool It was so obvious once you had a pro show you. I get a kick out of all these little victorys.GOOD LUCK!!!
I'm gonna need someone to draw me a picture...... :oops:

AS if that presentation was not enough......

BoatlessFisherman

Cookinman wrote:
I'm gonna need someone to draw me a picture

I am there for ya Anthony...Cookinman, we will hook up and if you are at the pier tomorrow, we may be able to do it there if the pier opens.
-Tommy A-

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

BoatlessFisherman wrote:Cookinman wrote:
I'm gonna need someone to draw me a picture

I am there for ya Anthony...Cookinman, we will hook up and if you are at the pier tomorrow, we may be able to do it there if the pier opens.
Right on Tommy - I will have the little one in tow, she will love playin with em.

BoatlessFisherman

I just Brought a bunch home last week to freeze and my 3 1/2 year old loved them before they went into the freezer.
-Tommy A-

PBFisher
Seasoned Fisher

Post by PBFisher »

This afternoon I went back to the public beach on Palm Beach Island. No fleas there, but continued walking north. Just beyond the Breakers hotel, on one 60' section of beach they were everywhere. I took home 3 dozen all just over 1 inch.

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

OK, so Assuming I am able to get a few, What is the best way to keep em alive?

Bucket of moist sand I imagine...Water in it? Do they jump? Need a top?

As you guys cantell, I have never done this and feel it is sorely missing from my "Fishin Bag - o Tricks" !

BoatlessFisherman

A box with a screen bottom or with holes, then place them in that and Keep in cooler up away from ice and mist with saltwater, they will stay alive 4 days
-Tommy A-

PBFisher
Seasoned Fisher

Post by PBFisher »

I was scooping them up like mad yesterday and called it quits because it was getting dark too dark to see.

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

Thanks T - Bring your box Saturday so I can have a look?

BoatlessFisherman

Evenings and early Morning are the best times, Will do Cookinman
-Tommy A-

jighead
Old Salt

Post by jighead »

Rijkaard wrote:Do they show up at night time on the beaches or just with daylight? would try to go tonight to rake some of them for the next mornings comin' pomps :wink:
............Rijkaard, I just got back from the beach myself had the rake and was looking for fleas they are there it's just not easy to see them. BF as usual is correct. What I wonder about is are the fleas sensitive to light, in other words if you used a flashlight or lantern would they dig in deeper?TIGHT LINES!!!

BoatlessFisherman

I do not know if they are sensitive, I have found them at night in areas where the light shines down from a spot light at a hotel, but mostly I do not see them at night.
-Tommy A-

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

jighead wrote:
Rijkaard wrote:Do they show up at night time on the beaches or just with daylight? would try to go tonight to rake some of them for the next mornings comin' pomps :wink:
............Rijkaard, I just got back from the beach myself had the rake and was looking for fleas they are there it's just not easy to see them. BF as usual is correct. What I wonder about is are the fleas sensitive to light, in other words if you used a flashlight or lantern would they dig in deeper?TIGHT LINES!!!
NOT knowledgeable about this, but I wonder if a Red light..like some Red Cellophane inserted to the lens of your flashlight might make enough light to spot em, but not make em run.......

Return to “Bait Bucket”