Sand Flea - Gulp

This area is for those questions about bait how to catch it, keep it alive and so on.
Snook hunter
Old Salt

Sand Flea - Gulp

Post by Snook hunter »

I have been searching for Sand Fleas for the last 2 weeks with no success in Boynton. The sand is hard and compact after the NE winds and erosion. I now have a back up plan for tomorrow - GULP/sand flea 1 inch. Has anybody tried them? Any Permit/Pompano? Do they work?

TeEnAnGlerPro213
GOLIATH GROUPER

Re: Sand Flea - Gulp

Post by TeEnAnGlerPro213 »

i was planning on posting this question to lol

i might try it out, but i think u should try a different beach for the fleas, if no boyton then try somewhere in boca
"If people concentrated on the really important things of life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." -Doug Larson

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

Try dead shrimp or even the cooked shelled bulk shrimp from Publix if no fleas are around. Someone else on here has a great tip on the matter but I'll let him share it.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

Boca Jetty Rat
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Boca Jetty Rat »

Has the surf finally layed down alittle? I cant see it from the kitchen I'm stuckin getting the floresent light tan all day.

basshole69
KING MACKEREL

Post by basshole69 »

gulp baits are way too expensive...i would agree with the above mentioned and try the frozen ones before trying the gulp baits...don't get me wrong. the gulp baits will work but your wallet will b*tch at you for it :biglaugh:
I'm that guy who's too thick skinned...remember?

SnapperHunter26
KING MACKEREL

Post by SnapperHunter26 »

basshole69 wrote:gulp baits are way too expensive...i would agree with the above mentioned and try the frozen ones before trying the gulp baits...don't get me wrong. the gulp baits will work but your wallet will b*tch at you for it :biglaugh:
:stupid: :stupid:

Snook hunter
Old Salt

Post by Snook hunter »

The Gulp baits are expensive. About $6.00 bucks for 10 to 12 Fleas. However, its just a buck or 2 more then frozen. Frozen looked very brittle and would probably lose them quickly and the Gulp would last a long time.

SOOOOO....

I went this morning and tried out the Gulp. $2 bucks more just might have landed me a 30# Permit - NOT.

The bait stayed on the hook. Never lost a bait and put it back in the juice after fishing. Probably more cost effective then frozen in the long run, but I have no Permit to show for it.

Snook hunter
Old Salt

Post by Snook hunter »

I forgot to mention that I searched for live ones and there was nothing available on the N. side of the Boynton Inlet this morning.

basshole69
KING MACKEREL

Post by basshole69 »

Snook hunter wrote:The Gulp baits are expensive. About $6.00 bucks for 10 to 12 Fleas. However, its just a buck or 2 more then frozen. Frozen looked very brittle and would probably lose them quickly and the Gulp would last a long time.

SOOOOO....

I went this morning and tried out the Gulp. $2 bucks more just might have landed me a 30# Permit - NOT.

The bait stayed on the hook. Never lost a bait and put it back in the juice after fishing. Probably more cost effective then frozen in the long run, but I have no Permit to show for it.
not even a tiny pompano?
I'm that guy who's too thick skinned...remember?

Snook hunter
Old Salt

Post by Snook hunter »

NOTHING!

Lomax aka ZEBCO
SHARKER

Post by Lomax aka ZEBCO »

Snook hunter wrote:I forgot to mention that I searched for live ones and there was nothing available on the N. side of the Boynton Inlet this morning.
8) Go an hour before dark and look. If you see nothing, go a few miles south. Fleas are solid. Just have to adjust your eyes.

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

Zebco wrote:
Snook hunter wrote:I forgot to mention that I searched for live ones and there was nothing available on the N. side of the Boynton Inlet this morning.
8) Go an hour before dark and look. If you see nothing, go a few miles south. Fleas are solid. Just have to adjust your eyes.
zeb what do you use to catch your SF do have a home made ? mine broke i haven't caught on pomp yet LOL i will fix it tho soon

Lomax aka ZEBCO
SHARKER

8) 8) Had a big stainless steel frame made, then built the rake from there. I like to try and fill at least half a 5 gallon within 10 to 15 scoops. Can't do that with those tiny aluminum rakes. They look like scoopers for a home deep fryer.

Snook hunter
Old Salt

Post by Snook hunter »

I'm new to sandflea harvesting so I have a question. I would think you would need a dozen or 2 for fishing. What is the need for 2.5 gallons of fleas?

mmcauliffe
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by mmcauliffe »

Snook hunter wrote:I'm new to sandflea harvesting so I have a question. I would think you would need a dozen or 2 for fishing. What is the need for 2.5 gallons of fleas?
To sell them to people that can't or won't bother catching their own :wink:
The problem with writing about religion is that you run the risk of offending sincerely religious people, and then they come after you with machetes.

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

Snook hunter wrote:I'm new to sandflea harvesting so I have a question. I would think you would need a dozen or 2 for fishing. What is the need for 2.5 gallons of fleas?
To catch many pompano with your commercial license.

Snook hunter
Old Salt

Post by Snook hunter »

I should have seen that coming. OK- i will purchase 2 dozen? How much and can you mail them to me?

Lomax aka ZEBCO
SHARKER

PhishingPhanatic wrote:
To catch many pompano with your commercial license.
8) I do not sell fleas. I do not have a retail license. That would be illegal. But, if I say there are fleas, trust me,.. keep digging.

Snook hunter
Old Salt

Post by Snook hunter »

No sand fleas in Delray this am, however the gulp worked on 2 blue runners and a fish that looked like a sea robbin. Never seen one of those n Fl before today.

Return to “Bait Bucket”