Aerated bait bucket and shrimp

This area is for those questions about bait how to catch it, keep it alive and so on.
vendetta0357
Fisher

Aerated bait bucket and shrimp

Post by vendetta0357 »

Question, I'm having trouble keeping live shrimp alive. I'm using a 4 quart bait bucket and a Aerator. I usually buy 3 dozen shrimp and after 3-4 hours most are dead, by that point there is probably 2 dozen or less in the bucket. I add fresh water once in a while but still get a lot of die off and the water gets a bit murky. Could it be the bucket is just too small for that many shrimp?? Thanks !

Lomax aka ZEBCO
SHARKER

Re: Aerated bait bucket and shrimp

Post by Lomax aka ZEBCO »

8) Get a 5 gallon bucket. If you find the one that has the foam insert, even better. You do not want to let the water get warm. Cooler water keeps them in much better shape.

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

Yep, bigger bucket with a lid and try to keep it in the shade, I freeze some water bottles and put them in my cooler, when it is hot outside, I put one of the bottles in the bucket every couple hours, helps to cool down the water. You can also get a 2nd aerator, that will help.

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

diggin4grouper
KING MACKEREL

Post by diggin4grouper »

also you can look at this and instead of the barrel you can use a 5 gal bucket and a motor cycle batt , i made one for a bait shop it sold befor i could get it out of my hands for 65 bucks

http://boatlessfishing.com/forum/viewto ... 58&t=11105

also with shrimp you need to keep the water moveing or the water become toxic to them

Return to “Bait Bucket”