First CUDA

You landed that Lunker, it's the biggest one you've ever caught and you're proud of it.
This is where you can share with the rest of us.
Please let us know the tackle you used, and the artificial. Please post pictures with you, fish, and tackle if possible, of your fish caught after November 1, 2006.
CowboyJustin
Old Salt

First CUDA

Post by CowboyJustin »

Not HUGE but it did measure 34" and 8lbsImageImageImageImage

mickey999
Seasoned Fisher

Post by mickey999 »

Nice cuda!I hook 4 of those in the keys last year didnt land any! :(

firebeforice
Old Salt

Re: First CUDA

Post by firebeforice »

those tube lures work good!

cybereagle
I FEAR NO FISH

Post by cybereagle »

Nice fish man :thumleft: . Last time I was in channel 2 I used a tube lure but got stuck in the rocks 15 minutes latter. I guess I was using it the wrong way. Now CowboyJustin how did you work the lure and how long it took to hook the cuda. I imagine yuo did not use any weights. Please man give me the secrets. :bounce:

killula
KING MACKEREL

Post by killula »

Just keep a tube in your tackle box, the next time you catch a snapper, mack, blue, or runner, and a cuda chops it on the way in, & takes it away from you, rig it up and throw it by them and reel. The only trick is you gotta give it to them when they are hungry.

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

When they are stacked thick at Ch 2 (usually during slack and the outgoing) you can sightcast them, just twitch the tube and they usually can't ignore it. You can also rip them as fast as you can retrieve, I've found this to work better in shallow water. A tube didn't last long in the pic below before it would get nailed.

cybereagle
I FEAR NO FISH

Post by cybereagle »

I would imagine that you do not use any weight with the tube lure. And by the way can you leave the tube in the current with no weight and just leave it there, until they bite.

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

In my experience cudas tend to bite tube lures more when they are moving fast. I like some weight in the rear of the tube , cast, let it sink, then reel in as fast as possible. You can also reel them in slower twitching them and at times the cudas will hit them.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

cybereagle
I FEAR NO FISH

Post by cybereagle »

Can't wait to the next time im out, I've never nailed a cuda myself but have tried many times. hopefully next time I have better luck. Thank guys for your help.

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

This i time of year try hitting up any area with grass flats ie Key Biscayne or the side of the roads in the Keys. Look for bait or just a fishy looking area of beach. It doesn't have to be deep. Med spinner with 6 -10 lb mono a few feet of 30 lb mono and the wired tube lure. Day break is the best time. Work the area then move on. A lot more fun and easier than doing it on bridges. A 10 lb cuda on light tackle where they can show their speed is a blast.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

cybereagle
I FEAR NO FISH

Post by cybereagle »

CowboyJustin
Old Salt

Post by CowboyJustin »

I actually forgot about this thread LOL...Anyhoo, that cuda was strictly by luck, I really don't know how to fish for much, I am not any good with lures, I use cut/live bait mostly. but I bought a few tubes at Jacks on the way into the keys, and figured what the hell, let me try and see what happens, and ended up getting that cuda, which turned into shark bait for later...which ended up getting nailed and wrapping me around a lobster buoy :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: Oh well...live and learn, Saltwater fishing is a learning experience for me, I'd like to think I get better each time I go out. :auto: :auto: Hoping to repeat the process Oct 31st thru Nov 2nd :)...With a few new tricks up my sleeve...hoping to get lots of :reeling: :reeling: :reeling: :reeling: :reeling: :happyfisherman: :happyfisherman: :happyfisherman: :happyfisherman: :happyfisherman:

Return to “Lunkers: Your Personal Best of species.”