Stupid question about alligators?

Please let us know the tackle you used, the artificial or bait, and your technique. Please post pictures with you, fish, and tackle if possible, of your fish caught after November 1, 2006.
lunkstar
Fisher

Re: Stupid question about alligators?

Post by lunkstar »

My mom moved to Florida back in the early eighties to work at a hospital in Port St. Lucie. During her first month as an emergency room nurse a teenage boy was brought in who had decided to swim in the St. Lucie River. He arrived mangled and dead. Since then she has always told me that if there is a body of water in Florida one must ALWAYS assume that an alligator is in there. Remember, they can walk on land, it really is not that difficult for them to traverse from a canal to a pond.

Here's a picture taken at a very small pond I fished last week. I pulled out a fish from the north side of the pond and worked my way to the south to find more fish. Then I found this guy as still as could be. Had I pulled the fish out closer to him I might have lost my fishing pole due to the running I would have been doing. I never imagined this place having a gator but afterwards I google mapped the pond and found out there is a canal that is separated by about 20 feet of land.

Not trying to scare you at all, but another thing to keep in mind is that alligators can hold their breath for 30 minutes up to 2 hours so one can hardly be certain if there is or isn't an alligator lurking below. Exercise caution while you're here in Florida, especially with little ones. I'm 26 and could have easily been gator bait, imagine a little one near the waters edge.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Username28
KING MACKEREL

Post by Username28 »

Assuming makes an ass out of you and me....remember that.
There is a fine line between Love & Hate.Hate is pushing them off a ledge. Loving them means you don't taunt them after you've pushed them off.

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

Alligators oh my and don't swim in the ocean there's sharks there. Don't go out in the rain lightening may strike you. Dont drive there may be a drink driver on the road. Dont go places with large crowds there are terrorists and crazy people with guns out there. Just hide under your mommys skirt and pray to live a long safe life. Imagine how lucky I am to have survived growing up swimming in alligator infested waterways down here.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

:stupid:

Gators are everywhere. Your odds are much greater getting killed on 95 by a crazy driver then getting eaten by one. I get within feet of them in my kayak all the time and they could care less. I bumped into the tip of the log with my yak this one was lying on when taking a picture a few weeks ago, he didn't even move. Just be smart and don't go swimming with raw chickens tied to your legs.

fishnfool73

Post by fishnfool73 »

To think when I ride 3 ft away from them on a bike at Shark Valley I am tempting fate.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

rare wrote:Call me crazy but I believe the goverment put them gators in our local lakes & ponds....
We need to ban assault alligators with more then 10 teeth!

fishnfool73

Post by fishnfool73 »

Floridians need a goverment issued Obama assault rifle to defend ourselfves from this menacing horde of ravenous alligators.... look an alligator choootttt!!!!

Username28
KING MACKEREL

Post by Username28 »

fishnfool73 wrote:Floridians need a goverment issued Obama assault rifle to defend ourselfves from this menacing horde of ravenous alligators.... look an alligator choootttt!!!!
:uplol: :uplol: :uplol: :uplol:
There is a fine line between Love & Hate.Hate is pushing them off a ledge. Loving them means you don't taunt them after you've pushed them off.

jezratty
Old Salt

Post by jezratty »

:chef: ya gotta eat them before they eat you :auto:

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

jezratty wrote::chef: ya gotta eat them before they eat you :auto:
Gator tail is awesome, I traded some mutton snapper from a Tortugas trip for about 15 lbs of it with my wife's coworker. Fried, sauteed, blackened, all good.

fishnfool73

Post by fishnfool73 »

I've had it a few times. Nothing I'd go out of my way for.

Username28
KING MACKEREL

Post by Username28 »

fishnfool73 wrote:I've had it a few times. Nothing I'd go out of my way for.
:stupid: Completely agree. I've had it every way you can cook it, and its ok. I wouldnt trade a mutton for it, I know that. But different strokes for different folks, so...whatever turns ya crank! You have to eat it not me. :biglaugh:

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

It has the texture of chicken breast, and a taste somewhere between chicken and mild fish, IMO. Pound it thin with a meat mallet and saute in butter and lemon juice, good stuff.

jezratty
Old Salt

Post by jezratty »

:toast: that sounds good like a gator francese!

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

gator is awesome ive def gone out of my way a few times to snag one of those fiesty reptiles still have a few bags of tail in the freezer great stuff nothing like a nice lizard steak
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

lunkstar
Fisher

Post by lunkstar »

http://www.wafb.com/story/19001217/boy-d

Ever met a one-armed fisherman? :salut:

Username28
KING MACKEREL

Post by Username28 »

lunkstar wrote:http://www.wafb.com/story/19001217/boy-d

Ever met a one-armed fisherman? :salut:
No, but I do know of a man in a wheelchair who barely has any use of his hands, who fishes all the time. Casts his own reels, ties his knots, even takes his fish off the hook. His name is 4 wheel angler on this forum. If he needs your assistance he will ask, but for the most part he will tell you "I can do it". Pretty amazing.

Return to “Freshwater Pics: Any fish caught in freshwater.”