Redfish

Fish must have been caught using live or cut bait, after November 1, 2006.
Please let us know the tackle you used, how you rigged your terminal tackle, and any special techinque used.
SnookMook
KING MACKEREL

Redfish

Post by SnookMook »

Well I didn't see a thread for Redfish, so I guess I'll start one. I caught this beautiful 31-inch Redfish from the jetty at Redfish Pass on Captiva.

This Red was caught the same week I caught my big Sheepie. I used a big hand select live shrimp on a 2/0 Owner circle hook, with 30lb flouro leader and a couple of split shots about 18 inches above the hook. The water was like glass and I basically sight casted this Redfish as it was boiling on topwater bait.

It's my biggest lifetime Redfish to date. Needless to say we had a good trip that week. :thumleft:

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Re: Redfish

Post by Cookinman »

SnookMook wrote:Well I didn't see a thread for Redfish, so I guess I'll start one. I caught this beautiful 31-inch Redfish from the jetty at Redfish Pass on Captiva.

This Red was caught the same week I caught my big Sheepie. I used a big hand select live shrimp on a 2/0 Owner circle hook, with 30lb flouro leader and a couple of split shots about 18 inches above the hook. The water was like glass and I basically sight casted this Redfish as it was boiling on topwater bait.

It's my biggest lifetime Redfish to date. Needless to say we had a good trip that week. :thumleft:
That is one of my favorite places to wadefish in Sanibel Captiva area - Never really know what will cruite through...

A Mogan for Sure !

Big Daddy
Old Salt

Post by Big Daddy »

beautiful red. I've only fished with guides over there-my wife and I grew up about 40 miles north of there. Thanks for the report; we needed a Redfish thread.
Wanna go fishin?
We ain't left yet?

BD

SnookMook
KING MACKEREL

Post by SnookMook »

Thanks guys. I love fishing down in Sanibel/Captiva and Pine Island Sound.

I went to high school down you guys way in Coral Springs. I'm really glad I met Tom and and a few of the Boatless crew when I was down last week visiting my brother. I plan on making more frequent trips down South. I'm looking forward to fishing the piers and some of my other old spots again with the knowledge I gain from the Boatless gang.

This is a great forum. I've been looking for a good forum for landlubbers.
:toast:

chank
Seasoned Fisher

Post by chank »

20lb boga gripped redfish

JunoChris
KING MACKEREL

Post by JunoChris »

Red ate my shark bait (whole spanish) in the Panhandle.
My girlfriend with a Red she got on a pinfish.

chank
Seasoned Fisher

Post by chank »

heres one

Pier#r
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Pier#r »

Thanksgiving Day Nov 28, 2013 Gulf State Park Pier Gulf Shores, AL

No where near my biggest, but a 34" 15# hunk-a-red on 4# mono spinning tackle.
Reel: Bass Pro 20 Tournement Pro Rod: 7 foot medium action Bass Pro Microlite
The fish ate a live shrimp drifted under a small float.
Terminal tackle was a single BB splitshot 8" above a #4 Tru-Turn singlehook tied directly on (NO leader) :shock:
Redfish-Hook.jpg
Sometimes it pays to be lucky ;-)
This fish was no 'turkey' and battled almost 15 minutes before it was netted, photographed, weighed and safely released by gently lowering it back into the water in the landing net. :salut:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WOOO HOOO the Gulf State Park pier is OPEN!
Gulf State Park Pier 6am Tuesday July 21, 2009

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

Now THAT is a catch! My biggest has been a 36'' at a flamingo flat, with a DOA crab I had laying around, literally pluggin away at a flat with holes in the sand while the other 3 in the boat were looking for tailing fish! She came off 10lbs ande, but that did not take skill, catching that fish on 4lbs took some SKILL and a touch of LUCK! Here is mine.

-swordfish

Return to “Saltwater: Caught using live or cut bait.”