Legal Black grouper

Fish must have been caught using Artificals, after November 1, 2006.
Please let us know the tackle you used, and the artificial. Please post pictures with you, fish, and tackle if possible.
swordfish
SHARKER

Legal Black grouper

Post by swordfish »

Here you go. Legal black took a fair hawk down deep. Released.

-Swordfish

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Re: Legal Black grouper

Post by Kingofthesea »

Amazing how good those fish look when they are still alive. Even more amazing is how they gavone the hawk. So much for using an artificial that imitates natural bait. I would enjoy a serious explanation of why they work from any of you Zen Hawk Masters. And if you are fishing at night why are different colors necessary?
Those old queen slave owners that wrote our Constitution 200 years ago were brilliant.

"Every four years Americans get the President they deserve".

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

Honestly brother... I have NO clue what they think it is... I DO know they have no quarrels with eating them. I have caught fish that have REFUSED live bait on the hawks in the same night. I was curious the other evening, in Key West, where I have a spot that I can sight cast juvenile tarpon on live shrimp and they are FINICKY (they get heavy pressure) yet I ripped it across the face of one and he VEERED off and went at it like a crazy fish. This is in crystal clear, less than a foot deep water, with lights everywhere (so they can see everything) and he slurped it! Made me feel real silly about fishing for them using flouro and very light tackle before... LOL

Maybe Joe can chime in, but these fish are clobbering jigs in PITCH BLACK and farther up north in DIRTY DIRTY water without a second thought. I think it's just a reaction strike. I am blissfully happy to not know the WHY so long as it works...

It's like my car, gas goes in, witchcraft happens and it GOOOOESS! :cheers: :lol:

-Swordfish

SaltyDog
KING MACKEREL

Post by SaltyDog »

Nice i love these lures my all time favorite. Good karma for releasing them as well kudos :toast:
KOTS here is a decent article on hawks
http://www.floridasportsman.com/2012/08 ... with-jigs/

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

:scratch: What do you mean what do they think they are ? They look like a mullet ladyfish or any other baitfish. I doubt that fish pull up along side a lure to look for scales eyes or fins. In their world its grab a meal when you can before someone else does. Fancy looking lures catch more fishermen than fish.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

ilovefishing
Seasoned Fisher

Post by ilovefishing »

Nice catch boss, keep up the good work

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

fishnfool73 wrote::scratch: What do you mean what do they think they are ? They look like a mullet ladyfish or any other baitfish. I doubt that fish pull up along side a lure to look for scales eyes or fins. In their world its grab a meal when you can before someone else does. Fancy looking lures catch more fishermen than fish.

Agree! LOL Like I said... Witchcraft!

-Swordfish

Peter.miami
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Peter.miami »

Hawks are great. If i am not mistaken chevy juan caught a grouper with a hawk few weeks back as well.

Nice you let the gag go...

LINESIDER
Old Salt

Post by LINESIDER »

Peter.miami wrote:Hawks are great. If i am not mistaken chevy juan caught a grouper with a hawk few weeks back as well.

Nice you let the gag go...
Its a Juan thing...
either way that was a great night u had..if u ready for tonight Txt me im game next 3-4 days
oo and sweet gator glass rod u have there...

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

Nice fish Juan :toast:

Return to “Saltwater: Caught with Artificials.”