Mackeral - Spanish, Cero, Kingfish

Fish must have been caught using Artificals, after November 1, 2006.
Please let us know the tackle you used, and the artificial. Please post pictures with you, fish, and tackle if possible.
mil7950
Weekend Warrior

Re: Mackeral - Spanish, Cero, Kingfish

Post by mil7950 »

what weight x raps are best for macks? never used them before and id liek to try them out at anglin or pompano.

Leadslinger
Old Salt

Post by Leadslinger »

I like the 6, 8, and 10. Not messed with the 12, but it's on the to try list.

Weights accordingly 1/8, 1/4, and 7/16.

Match what's swimming around if all else fails.

Moose
KING MACKEREL

Post by Moose »

mil7950 wrote:what weight x raps are best for macks? never used them before and id liek to try them out at anglin or pompano.
ghost sxr10 is my favorite

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

JunoChris wrote:Image
Got my girl her first king not big but not bad for the pier and for on a diamond jig.
PhishingPhanatic wrote:Nice king. Do people at Juno not believe in coolers? Thats a lot of fish lying around the deck.
They don't have time for no coolers !!!

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

John, you do know how old that pic is....

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

I know not many people do research on this site but It appears the mackeral bite is anywhere from October to March as reported from Dania to Juno. The number on the year doesn't really matter it's the season and the water temps that the fish worry about. Next years run will be pretty close to the run of 1980 as far as the time year maybe fewer numbers don't you think ? As far as people up there figuring out They need coolers yet. I've got no idea.
Just trying to locate some bait. :nilly:

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Still have some left in the deep frezzer if you want any on your way south

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

My baits are getting low...
20141229_195545.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Maybe it just me but I just rather have more fish vs bait...wait I spot some good ribbon fish in there!!

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

Rare wrote:Still have some left in the deep frezzer if you want any on your way south

Thanks bro, might have to

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Lmfao.....that's 1 of 3....you hiding the other 2 deep freezer

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Rare wrote:.wait I spot some good ribbon fish in there!!
Good eye you got !!! But those ribbons are still baits...
It can be cut into deadly silvery strip or be used trolling bait as a whole.

Green Tide,
so funny... that just explains fishing these days...

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Post by HJared »

I went from anglins to the Rick in search of macks. Didn't get a hit wtd

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

miguel456 wrote:Here's a old picture of me and a tablefull of mackerels I caught with a friend. The big ones are not kingfish,but they where over 24" forklength.We easily caught +60 mackerels that day,but we only kept 30 and released the rest.They where mostly caught on gotcha plugs and other lures;

that damn secret spot again i guess
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

Old School
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Old School »

Limit of Spanish on Crappie jigs on the old Rick. in 2013

Same year different week at the old Rick. All except the bluefish on Crappie jigs.

My largest Spanish Mack was taken on a Clark #3 spoon offshore and weighted in a 8 lbs 5 oz. So many years ago.

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Post by HJared »

Old School wrote:Limit of Spanish on Crappie jigs on the old Rick. in 2013

Same year different week at the old Rick. All except the bluefish on Crappie jigs.

My largest Spanish Mack was taken on a Clark #3 spoon offshore and weighted in a 8 lbs 5 oz. So many years ago.
dude, i went to the rick three times in the past couple weeks and didnt see one mac caught. can you give me any pointers or am i just going on off days? i tried crappie jigs, let em hit bottom and quick jig, tried workin em fast, tried gotcha plugs which are my personal favorite and white buckstails. i even had a few live shrimp one day

how many days did u go when there wasnt a great bite for the two times that it was off the chain?

i know from most land fishing experience u just gota put a lota time in to be there when the moon and stars line up cuz even proper conditions doesnt ensure the bite.

Moose
KING MACKEREL

Post by Moose »

@hjared

the water in the bay is dirty because of all the construction going on....i think the macks are staying out of the bay for the most part...we caught a bunch right off cape florida a couple weeks ago..they are around but not at the rick for some reason....i used to catch a bunch there...but its been some time since the bites been good...even when it was good you really had to work to get the big macks....

but if you wanna try just use a light setup with 20lb fluoro and an all white 1/8 crappie jig...i sometimes put a split shot 2 ft above the jig or right at the head if the wind is really bad or the current is really ripping (sometimes the macks are sitting at the bottom and you need the jig to sink and then jig it up and let it sink again). I like to tip it with small strips or small cut frozen shrimp...you will probably catch pinfish with this or houndies if they are there (if they're around the mac usually aren't).

I usually just cast as far as can and jig it is fast halfway and let it sink and repeat..but sometimes they want it slow, fast, top of water, middle etc blah blah

or use a trolley rig with a big sardine or threadfin or handselect. but man are those trolley rigs annoying
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

agonzalez0 wrote: or use a trolley rig with a big sardine or threadfin or handselect. but man are those trolley rigs annoying

Ive never seen anyone out there using a trolley rig dont even think they know what that is- popping cork rules when the macks are there. Unless you were saying to use it but with all them popping corks it will be nice to see the end results of that day.

Moose
KING MACKEREL

Post by Moose »

Rare wrote:
agonzalez0 wrote: or use a trolley rig with a big sardine or threadfin or handselect. but man are those trolley rigs annoying

Ive never seen anyone out there using a trolley rig dont even think they know what that is- popping cork rules when the macks are there. Unless you were saying to use it but with all them popping corks it will be nice to see the end results of that day.
you're right, alot of guys use the popping corks....i dont and i never use trolley rigs....but the biggest macks i have seen caught there have come on trolleys...a couple guys there use them correctly along with a bunch of idiots using popping corks un controlled..i stay away from them if possible..if not, and their line is all over the place, my crappie jig will clear it up real quick

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Post by HJared »

I think the center for disease control should quarantine that place. Even the pelicans are another breed.

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

agonzalez0 wrote:[along with a bunch of idiots using popping corks un controlled..i stay away from them if possible..
If fishing is slow i wait around to see the action. Nothing like a little mack taking down a few rods rods cause they are unable to control the mack. Guy is trying to flip the fish but he cant, so his whole squads comes in with a treble hook off a spoon they found cause they didnt have a weighted bridge gaff or a bridge net... Now, from a distance and the untrained eye you will think that they have a damn king. Now you have all of the Rick with you not helping you but casting and fling there lines on your spot.... So, you have 4 guys bring up up a mack, with 4 other lines tangle with the mack. High-fiving going all around, the beers are be passed around and pics of everyone holding the fish. Now, one guys that know his fish takes a quick measurement of the fish, but undersized it is. In the cooler it goes FTMFW!

Return to “Saltwater: Caught with Artificials.”