Saturday April 7 DIPier report

This area is for all of Alabama
Pier#r
Seasoned Fisher

Saturday April 7 DIPier report

Post by Pier#r »

What a COLD start! Where did all that 80 degree weather go?
At 6am on Dauphin Island it was 44 degrees with a NNW wind @ 20-25 (mid 30s wind chill :shock:
The water temp had plummeted 20 degrees in three days (from 78 on Wednesday to 58 on Friday).
I was so cold the camera was shaking :oops:

It was an ACFA club tournament day and when I arrived at the pier, I saw a Blazer Bay parked in the parking lot and this masked man and his sidekick 4'-6' Henry were fishing the pier :lol:

The incoming current was just strong enough to silt the water up.
And the fish were slow getting started. A few dink specks with live shrimp on the bottom but the pinfish were terrible :evil:
And if they weren't bad enough the gulls were hanging around like a pack of hyenas snatching up a live shrimp before it had a chance to sink :evil: :x

Still Henry caught a 3.2# speck and Blazer Bay and me had our Participation Point specks by the time another club member Gary (Programmer) showed up and got in the act 8)

Gary used to fish the old Gulf State Park Pier back in the 1980s before buying a boat.
But he's never forgotten his "roots" :wink:

Anyway, we had fun catching schoolie specks until about 10:30 when the current and the wind and the bite slowed down.
BB and Henry took off to put the boat in the water to get out to the rigs for BIG sheepshead.
It paid off for them with 1st 9.25# and 2nd place 7.80# sheepshead. Image

I changed tactics and tried bull minnows for flounder, results negative.
Then I tried cut bait for ground mullet, results one 8" GM :roll:
So I figured to just "use up" the fresh dead shrimp in my cooler: results 2 sheepshead 3# & 4.3# (3rd place) :shock: 8)
My total was 6 specks kept (to 19"), 3 throw backs and 2 sheepshead.

From 6 am to 3 pm on the pier I saw about 25 specks landed (to 4#), 40-50 sheepshead (to 6#), 3 redfish
(one was oversized, hooked by a 11 year old boy from KY),
a handfull of flounder (but up to about 4 1/2# :shock: , and about 50 groundmullet and whiting.
Got to watch a 5 1/2 foot blacktip shark cruise the sandbar chasing mullet 8)
A fella hooked him briefly on 1/2 a peter mullet he was using for redfish before getting cut off.

Not a bad day fishing considering the conditions!
Thank You Lord for a good time!
WOOO HOOO the Gulf State Park pier is OPEN!
Gulf State Park Pier 6am Tuesday July 21, 2009

Return to “Alabama”