fishing shut down due to oil...

This area is for all of Alabama
cotton
Weekend Warrior

fishing shut down due to oil...

Post by cotton »

seems like all we ever post is bad news...pier fishing shut down on the 4th of June due to oil; you can still walk out on it though. Hope it doesn't affect you all any...

BRunner346
"WE RUN IT"

Re: fishing shut down due to oil...

Post by BRunner346 »

Man I am really sorry to hear. I can't imagine your pain right now... lets hope and pray for the best
"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot."

Jordan
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Jordan »

Sucks bro, I am sorry.

GO4EM
SHARKER

Post by GO4EM »

:thumbdown:
I dream of a better tomorrow... where chickens can cross roads and not have their motives questioned

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

After everything you and your buddies went through to get your pier rebuilt now this. I have a feeling we will be joining you soon.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

cotton
Weekend Warrior

Post by cotton »

I hope it doesn't get to you guys...I finally caught my first mangrove snapper of the year last Sunday off the new Navarre pier; great pier but an hour and a half away...worth it to catch a grover though! Will probably fish it some more, its the closest place that I know of to catch and keep a mangrove snapper...I hope they can get this thing fixed soon, but it sure isn't happening fast.

CubanExpress
Boatlessfishing.com FORUM SPONSOR

Post by CubanExpress »

day 78.

oil spill to be continued...who would have figured.

Pier#r
Seasoned Fisher

fishing REOPENED!!!

Post by Pier#r »

:cheers:

http://www.outdooralabama.com/news/release.cfm?ID=833
All Alabama Waters Now Open for Fishing
August 16, 2010

The Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources Marine Resources Division (MRD) announces the re-opening to the harvest of fish from all areas previously closed as a precautionary response to the presence of oil from the Deepwater Horizon Incident. These areas include all Alabama Gulf of Mexico waters out to three miles and the remaining closed waters of Mobile Bay that are just north of the Fort Morgan Peninsula. These waters reopened at 6 a.m., Monday, August 16. This includes both commercial and recreational fishing. In addition to finfish, the area north of Fort Morgan is also open to shrimping.

ADCNR has worked closely with the Alabama Department of Public Health, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) to ensure the health and safety of the public during the events following the Deepwater Horizon incident. In correspondence addressing the results of recent testing of seafood from the remaining closed areas, the FDA states that, “Sensory evaluation of 50 finfish and 16 shrimp samples for odors indicative of contamination was conducted on August 11-12, 2010. No samples demonstrated odors indicative of oil or dispersant contamination. After sensory evaluation, the samples were forwarded to a chemistry laboratory for polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) analysis. Compositing of like species from like sample locations resulted in 10 separate finfish and three separate shrimp samples for PAH analysis. All samples were analyzed using the LC-Fluorescence method. The chemical analyses were completed on August 13, 2010. PAH levels in all samples are significantly below the levels of concern established in the reopening protocol, which was agreed upon by Alabama officials, NOAA and FDA.”

Life is 'good' again ;-)

Here's a link to links concerning the reopening process which includes extensive testing of finfish.
http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodSafety/Prod ... 221959.htm

The data has aleviated my initial hesitation to resume 'catch & cook' fishing.
I (and MANY others) have been eating these fish for over a month now with NO ill effects.
There are still isolated reports of tarballs washing ashore, but the Gulf waters are clear and the fishing has been outstanding!

:dude:
WOOO HOOO the Gulf State Park pier is OPEN!
Gulf State Park Pier 6am Tuesday July 21, 2009

james380
........POST HO........... "I post for FREE"

Post by james380 »

No worries. You wont notice the effects for years down the line of all the crap they put in the water to break up the oil.
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
- Charlton Heston
"Truth is treason in an empire of lies." - Ron Paul
In the beginning god created Evolution.

SD2
Seasoned Fisher

Post by SD2 »

I would catch and release all fish in that area but to each his own. :study:
"Game fish are too valuable to only be caught once."

james380

Post by james380 »

:biglaugh: exactly!
- Charlton Heston

james380

Post by james380 »

Damn all that in only 5 years?
- Charlton Heston

james380

Post by james380 »

Well hell i'm glad I never catch anything then. :mrgreen:
- Charlton Heston

Pier#r
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Pier#r »

I see nothing wrong with these fish :happyfisherman:

:lol:
Seriously, there is NOTHING wrong with these fish (and likely never was).
Fish have a liver (like us) which rids them of potential contaminents before they accumulate in the muscle tissues we eat.
Still thousands of fish samples over the past 6 months from several states and gulf waters have not turned up a single fish contaminated with oil or dispersants.

I actually have MORE confidence in eating them now than before the spill due to the frequency and widespread testing on them. :cheers:

But each to his own, IF you don't want to eat them you have to look far to find someone who will ;-)

firebeforice
Old Salt

Post by firebeforice »

I'm glad to see things are getting better in Mobile. i was there in august working a mobile marketing event for the Mobile bay bears minor league team. the same parking lot was used as a staging area for BP. We had a run in with one of their lawyers ( she was crotchey old b*tch who yelled at us for driving our penske with our back door open in the parking lot) . I also watched as their team of lawyers and PR people brought cameras and new crews to see their new "shark" machine ( that supposedly cleaned the oil form the sand). the machine looked brand new without any signs of use....freaking d-bags

also when I was there, i saw on the local Mobile news that a family was on dauphin island beach and walked out into the shimmering blue waters. Well, they stepped in an underground layer of oil. they described it as having a peanut butter consistency. yuck!

that being said, I enjoyed time my in Mobile and i hope that BP fixes their poop

Return to “Alabama”