Sat Oct 4 Pelican Spit report

This area is for all of Alabama
Pier#r
Seasoned Fisher

Sat Oct 4 Pelican Spit report

Post by Pier#r »

It was a flawlessly gorgeous early October morning to be fishing on the coast.
Mild air temp, NO clouds and light winds greeted me and Rusty Hook when we arrived at the parking lot of the Dauphin Island Pier about 6 am.
Gumbo's truck was already there (and empty) so we had to scramble to catch up to him.
We took the 'short cut' and arrived at "Bucket Point" just as he did. It was obvious the water level had dropped a LOT since it was high Friday night,
but the conditions looked great for some early action.
Gumbo was on topwater (with just a few "swirls" sofar) but he decided to stick with it.

Sometimes you HAVE to grab the camera instead of a rod 8)

It soon paid off with some near misses and finally a smashing strike!

A nice one for sure!

Rusty Hook wishin he was 'That guy' :wink: :happyfisherman:

Did I mention it was a gorgeous morning to be fishing...

When the scales settled (and the jelly moved in) we decided to call it at that spot.
But it had been quite productive for Gumbo who 'schooled us' 5 trout to none :shock:
He had a nice stringer for an hour and a half of fishing, and his first trout (3.85#) took 1st in the ACFA Tourney!

But the day was young and we weren't about to give it up.
There was still 'PlanB'... :idea:
We set up on a likely looking spot on the Gulf side and commenced to try our luck.

We tried up and down the bar, inside and out without a 'keeper' fish to show for our efforts.
Finally as we were actually leaving we spotted a pair of promising looking shadows in the shallows and Rusty Hook scores (a 25" 4.85#red)...

He actually led the ACFA Redfish category for most of the way, being bumped to third in the last 10 minutes.
But even with a minimal number of fish we had a great day 8)
'Plan C' still didn't pan out for me but I was content just to have shared the day with a couple of good friends :cheers:
and enjoyed some fine fellowship at the ACFA weighin. Image
That featured fried fish & cheese grits with coleslaw and fried grits :D They were great!
Thanks 'Bigun' & 'Doc' for preparing a fine feed. :chef:
And thanks to 'Delta Pirate' for sharing his bounty with me so I had some fish to take home :thumright:
And thank You Lord, for a fine day spent fishing Image

WhoDey
KING MACKEREL

Re: Sat Oct 4 Pelican Spit report

Post by WhoDey »

man you have it made up there, I don't see tourist and condos every 2' on your beaches. Awesome report, looks like your buddy had one heck of a day :toast:
Team Locked Drag
2009 Big Hammer Challenge Bridge champs
2009 ShoreBound Tourney Bridge & Pier champs
2008 ShoreBound Tourney Bridge & Pier champs

See us in action!

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

Great pictures thanks for taking the time to share.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

BRunner346
"WE RUN IT"

Post by BRunner346 »

great pics and nice fish. looks like paradise to me. :toast:
"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot."

Return to “Alabama”