Middle Keys Fishing Reports

Boatless Fishing Reports for Monroe County, Florida Keys
clarence2society
GOLIATH GROUPER

Re: Middle Keys Fishing Reports

Post by clarence2society »

yessir. there were no permit anywhere sadly.... i was gonna go out this morning but i drank instead... didnt wanna deal with the heat

pescando
Seasoned Fisher

Post Irma Report.

Post by pescando »

First my simpaty to the affected ones of this natural disaster and mostly the members of this forum whom live there
To them i ask to report anything related to our beloved fishing spot (channels and so).
Do bait shops are open ?
Are the keys open for non residents?

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

More residents who evacuated the Florida Keys for Hurricane Irma can finally head home after Monroe County reopened roads to Marathon for select groups, according to its emergency management office Saturday.

Right now, only residents, business owners, disaster workers and supply vehicles can head as far as Marathon, to Mile Marker 47, just north of the Seven Mile Bridge, according to county spokeswoman Cammy Clark.

Key West and the Lower Keys will allow similar groups to return at 7 a.m. Sunday.

A checkpoint remains in Florida City to make sure only those in the select groups enter the island chain. A second checkpoint is at Mile Marker 47 for Key West and the Lower Keys.

Officials warn those making the trip that services in the area are almost nonexistent and there is a heavy law enforcement presence to prevent looting, the county said in a news release.

“Returning residents should bring provisions and any necessary medications to sustain themselves for several days,” Clark said in the release.

pescando
Seasoned Fisher

Re: Post Irma Report.

Post by pescando »

pescando wrote:First my simpaty to the affected ones of this natural disaster and mostly the members of this forum whom live there
To them i ask to report anything related to our beloved fishing spot (channels and so).
Do bait shops are open ?
Are the keys open for non residents?

Key are today open Ricks Yellow Bait are closed
Going down tomorrow again for real fishing.

Ice
Weekend Warrior

Post by Ice »

I wish I still had the picture of the black grouper I caught on Ch2 on squid years ago. I bet Tommy remembers that 3am phone call on Tuesday night...."hey tommy, sorry to wake you up but...I need to know what kind of fish this is, and if its legal or not" "tommy: check the fins, round or square" "me: square" "tommy: how long is it" I forgot the length but tommy said put that baby on ice....good eating!

Ice
Weekend Warrior

Post by Ice »

I wasn't down there to fish persay, I was down there more for the meteor shower, but I said screw it, and bought a box of squid and dropped a whole squid down with the clicker on...I forgot it was even down there, all the sudden I hear click click click...I put my finger on the line...and felt something....and the rest is history...

Kylo ren
Fisher

Post by Kylo ren »

Are the keys open for Fishing like at channel two and channel five?

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

Yes the Keys are open for fishing.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

Kylo ren
Fisher

Post by Kylo ren »

Thanks fishhfool. Hopefully I get to go this weekend if the weather it's good.

I got another question maybe you could answer. Why is it that I don't see any updated new reports from anybody on the index boards? Everything I see and read it's old.

fishnfool73

Post by fishnfool73 »

It's a combination of factors that led to the slow agonizing death of Internet forums in general. Twitter FB you tube and Instagram have taken over where forums once ruled. Factor that in with many old members here no longer posting and new members doing the same and you have this desert of non activity. Post reports and try to fire it back up again.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

Kylo ren
Fisher

Post by Kylo ren »

Oh I see. Thanks again. Fishnfool73. Great info

clarence2society
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by clarence2society »

scored 19 1/2 hog from bridge and 19 mutton..... and some nice grovers...... i got a nicely filled cooler of fish to clean after my nap here in a few.... i literally worked and fished from thurs to sunday everyday..... i slept 3 hrs here and there and worked my 8 to 9 hr woodys shifts then to bridges... my buddy and ikilled it all three days...... only kept the ones really worthy

Ice
Weekend Warrior

Post by Ice »

clarence2society wrote:scored 19 1/2 hog from bridge and 19 mutton..... and some nice grovers...... i got a nicely filled cooler of fish to clean after my nap here in a few.... i literally worked and fished from thurs to sunday everyday..... i slept 3 hrs here and there and worked my 8 to 9 hr woodys shifts then to bridges... my buddy and ikilled it all three days...... only kept the ones really worthy
I'm jealous

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

clarence2society wrote:scored 19 1/2 hog from bridge and 19 mutton..... and some nice grovers...... i got a nicely filled cooler of fish to clean after my nap here in a few.... i literally worked and fished from thurs to sunday everyday..... i slept 3 hrs here and there and worked my 8 to 9 hr woodys shifts then to bridges... my buddy and ikilled it all three days...... only kept the ones really worthy
Good... you are finally back to routine after hurricane ... lol

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

The tides were green and on a last minute noticed a key trip was on. We knew the winds in the keys will make the water milky or murky or both. Also, the weather spotty on the rain side. The bite was well received....just not what we were looking for at first. Big over-sized lady fish, jacks, blue fish, red grouper, small muttons and greys not worth keeping. Now, the amount of sharks were also a pain....Morning time and permit rod goes off. Not long after the fight a 27lb permit is on deck. The fight of the fish was not a problem since this one wanted to play dead so i granted him his wish. The wind blowing ENE was the real fight, that and a fat permit on a ripping tide made it a workout to bring it up but on deck it came up.

Kind of tradition after a trip we go grab bfast. Just a nice meal with the fellows and always great time to plan and catch up on things. Also, to try a new place out here and see what they have. Now, bfast for me is my favorite meal of the day. I was a little iffy on the bfast spot since the last time the tide said wooden spoon is a great place for bfast. At the end, that place made me want to stick that wooden spoon up.....anyways poor bfast and later to find out they changed hands. Now, the omelette seafood at craigs was great! We just have to learn to tone it down a little when we are cracking jokes...

Forgot... as I was being friendly to the folks on the bridge. The tale of the pomp.... A couple on a trip to the keys.. so i asked how was fishing? They said they just caught a fish and she believe's its a Florida Pomp. I already called it in my head what it was. I take a look in the cooler and its a jack crevalle. She said is it good, i said no. The fish was still alive as she caught it about 5mins ago. The tide grabs the fish with their permission and drops the jack in the water and away it went.

pescando
Seasoned Fisher

Post by pescando »

Very nice Rare :patriot:

Miami_Chris
KING MACKEREL

Post by Miami_Chris »

Good stuff bro, was down there last week for a few hours. Only bridge with clean water was the north side of long key. Lots of mackerel and sharks. Nice to fish down there when it’s too windy for the boat.

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Yep! No boat insight which is very rare but given the winds it was expected.

fishnfool73

Post by fishnfool73 »

Nice report. I wonder how many jacks have been eaten by people thinking they had a pompano. We rented a boat off 5 and did well on mackerel bluefish and snapper in the Gulf. Very rough and as you said the only clean water was on the north side of Long Key.

Miami_Chris
KING MACKEREL

Post by Miami_Chris »

fishnfool73 wrote:Nice report. I wonder how many jacks have been eaten by people thinking they had a pompano. We rented a boat off 5 and did well on mackerel bluefish and snapper in the Gulf. Very rough and as you said the only clean water was on the north side of Long Key.

How far out in the gulf did you guys go? Macks thick?

I was surprised to see the lack of boats down there, especially the sand bar. Ive never seen it so dead on a weekend. Also, the infestation of tourist bike riders on the bridges was at a whole new level. Overload of pasty whites wearing all neon lol.

fishnfool73

Post by fishnfool73 »

We went just west of Sprigger Bank so about 15 miles out. Mackeral were not thick but all big our biggest was over 5 lbs loads of big 3-5 lb bluefish , ladyfish , runners and a ton of catfish. Managed 4 mangroves that we kept 2 12 inches and 2 18 inches. It is a fun trip. Let me know if you ever want to go we rent a boat from the marina we stay at down there . With gas and chum runs around $275 - 300 for 7 am til 430 pm

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Miami_Chris wrote: Also, the infestation of tourist bike riders on the bridges was at a whole new level. Overload of pasty whites wearing all neon lol.

The bike ride event they had were one the nicest group of folks out there from past events i tell ya .Even the 3wheel demons bikers coming down the bridge. Early morning we did see a motorcyclist going very very slow down the bridge then back again and again. I guess he dropped something and was looking for it. We saw it again on the 18mile stretch.

The catfish were drying in numbers on many other platforms.

Ya can tell from the pic the water condition. That was the cleanest

cantseeme47
KING MACKEREL

Post by cantseeme47 »

fishnfool73 wrote:We went just west of Sprigger Bank so about 15 miles out. Mackeral were not thick but all big our biggest was over 5 lbs loads of big 3-5 lb bluefish , ladyfish , runners and a ton of catfish. Managed 4 mangroves that we kept 2 12 inches and 2 18 inches. It is a fun trip. Let me know if you ever want to go we rent a boat from the marina we stay at down there . With gas and chum runs around $275 - 300 for 7 am til 430 pm

Who do you guys rent from?
Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them.

fishnfool73

Post by fishnfool73 »

Seabird Marina

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Trip down south for 1 crew was planned other went as well. We decided to jump bridges, so a semi-lite trip was planned. The weather was perfect and great breeze.. The blue are still hitting anything out there. It was the first time i caught a blue fish that acted like a small poon. The tail walking with jumps.. No blues were kept, but they had a decent size to them if you wanted them. Night fall and nothing really going but small greys and grunts biting down on the bigger bait and shaks bugging as well. I went to sleep mood after that. Morning time and we moved and glad we left early. Got to bridge & the current was ripping but water is green and not milky..... weather was still prefect! Then the onslaught went on on both tides for Yellow Jacks!

k5523915
Old Salt

Post by k5523915 »

1thanks for the invite but nice yellowjacks bro!

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

k5523915 wrote:1thanks for the invite but nice yellowjacks bro!

You dont like yellow jacks..... :P

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

I left out of there with 32 largest was 24” Got reloaded with Jigs and am going back. Need me some Grovers
New Year’s Eve on ————bridge

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Green Tide wrote:I left out of there with 32 largest was 24” Got reloaded with Jigs and am going back. Need me some Grovers
New Year’s Eve on ————bridge

lol :toast:

k5523915
Old Salt

Post by k5523915 »

Rare wrote:
k5523915 wrote:1thanks for the invite but nice yellowjacks bro!

You dont like yellow jacks..... :P

hahah not my top choice but when your time to fish is limited.. even a yellowjack looks delicious like hogfish. happy new year yo

Return to “Monroe County”