Barracuda? To Eat, or Not to Eat?

Boatless Fishing Reports for Monroe County, Florida Keys
FrankfromNM
Fisher

Barracuda? To Eat, or Not to Eat?

Post by FrankfromNM »

I am going down to the Keys in a couple of weeks, and saw that folks tend to catch 'cudas on trips. I have fished for, caught, and eaten Cudas off the coast of San Diego, CA. They are quite good, particularly smoked. However - someone told me that, for some reason, the barracudas off of the Florida coast should not be eaten. Is this correct? And, if so - can anyone tell me why? Thanks!

Backwoods123
Old Salt

Re: Barracuda? To Eat, or Not to Eat?

Post by Backwoods123 »

ive never eaten one, but ive been told dont eat the big ones, but the small ones are good.... like anywhere from 1-6 pounds are good... ive fillet tons of them for people when i wored on the charter boats... clean lookin meat

Chevy Juan
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Chevy Juan »

Its due to ciguatera poisoning. You will get mixed opinions on this from everyone but my family has eaten tons of cudas as I was growing up, cut them into rolls or chunks deep fried with lemon and a cold beer was always at the table in the backyard.

If you do plan on eating them, Typically the rule of thumb is not to go anywhere near the big ones and only eat the smaller sized cudas, and make sure to properly care for them as you would any other fish you plan on bringing to the dinner table.

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

good for eats meng very gud 4 huar on head
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

Username28
KING MACKEREL

Post by Username28 »

gruntking wrote:good for eats meng very gud 4 huar on head
:scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:
There is a fine line between Love & Hate.Hate is pushing them off a ledge. Loving them means you don't taunt them after you've pushed them off.

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

I'd release any over 5 lbs. Why would you take the chance ? If a fish dinner is your goal spend 30 minutes searching this forum and I have no doubt you can catch legal mangroves to eat. All the information you need to fish the Keys bridges is posted on this site. It's up to you to take the time to find it. Good luck
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

Username28
KING MACKEREL

Post by Username28 »

fishnfool73 wrote:I'd release any over 5 lbs. Why would you take the chance ? If a fish dinner is your goal spend 30 minutes searching this forum and I have no doubt you can catch legal mangroves to eat. All the information you need to fish the Keys bridges is posted on this site. It's up to you to take the time to find it. Good luck
:stupid:
There is a fine line between Love & Hate.Hate is pushing them off a ledge. Loving them means you don't taunt them after you've pushed them off.

striper2
Fisher

Post by striper2 »

Small ones up to 20" are delicious. I used to filet them and broil them with garlic and parsley. Really delicious. But the ciguarata poison is true, so stay away from anything over 20" to be safe. i used to crush them in the canals east of U.S. 1 in Pompano Beach.

N1ck
Fisher

Post by N1ck »

If your that desperate for eating fish go ahead and eat it, chances are slim but i still would not take them. I would prefer eating grunts caught on a sabiki all that than eating a cuda, and i never eat grunts :P Cuda is good shark bait whole onshore and good cut bait on the bottom for grouper.

Cubanaso1602
Weekend Warrior

Post by Cubanaso1602 »

You can do the old Cuban Fishermen trick to spot Ciguatera on Cudas. You cut a piece of of the cuda and toss it to the ants. If they eat it, then you can eat it... I've eaten up to 5ft cudas by this tactic... 100% secure.

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

The ant and fly trick has been debunked numerous times.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

Eman305
Weekend Warrior

Post by Eman305 »

When I was at deering estate one day a fella who said he had been fishing for many many years told me that cigueretta poisoning is only in the Caribbean becatuse of water temps I believe was his reason. At the eke place on a different day a guy told me he took home a 4ft cuda for eating and it was in his cooler. Never ate one myself tho

jezratty
Old Salt

Post by jezratty »

or there is the inlaw method... fry it up feed it to your inlaws wait for the nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea,(it is best to do before they are leaving town because if they get sick you really don't need to be in the same state as that kinda monster) ..if they don't get sick the fish was fine to eat :thumright:

GO4EM
SHARKER

Post by GO4EM »

What if you add garlic?
I dream of a better tomorrow... where chickens can cross roads and not have their motives questioned

Username28
KING MACKEREL

Post by Username28 »

GO4EM wrote:What if you add garlic?
:shock: :lol: :?

BadWolf43
Fisher

Post by BadWolf43 »

I just ate my first Barracuda last weekend and loved it. I made seasoned cuda nuggets :thumleft:

snapperfanatic18
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by snapperfanatic18 »

ciguatera in a fish can occur in any place..... caribbean or not..had a friend of mine eat one that was about 8 0r 9 lbs and got sick...vomitting, fever and diarrhea..and also...hair loss...no joke!

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

snapperfanatic18 wrote:ciguatera in a fish can occur in any place..... caribbean or not..had a friend of mine eat one that was about 8 0r 9 lbs and got sick...vomitting, fever and diarrhea..and also...hair loss...no joke!
Where was it caught?

ilovefishing
Seasoned Fisher

Post by ilovefishing »

IMHO there is so many better fish to eat off the coast of Florida to even begin to consider eating a cuda. But hey that's just me

snapperfanatic18
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by snapperfanatic18 »

[quote="BEOWULF"][quote="snapperfanatic18"]ciguatera in a fish can occur in any place..... caribbean or not..had a friend of mine eat one that was about 8 0r 9 lbs and got sick...vomitting, fever and diarrhea..and also...hair loss...no joke![/quote]

Where was it caught?[/quote] here off of miami...

lasthope
Old Salt

Post by lasthope »

Well I've never eaten cuda... Never wanted to, but pretty much any fish can get this with the exception of offshore fish like mahi and deep water snapper. Makes me not want to eat anything!

Return to “Monroe County”