Post by ndog »

Well done..good trip MV :reeling:

Rare
SHARKER

Re: Middle Keys Fishing Reports

Post by Rare »

mvnray wrote: i know but i had to leave at sunset unfortunately
http://www.keysnet.com/2015/06/24/50326 ... -swim.html

Not for the fishing....This guy- He jumped in the water at ch5 and made it to fiesta keys.
Suspect fails in attempt to swim away from cops

A soggy suspect waded from the water at Fiesta Key late Friday nearly an hour after swimming away from law-enforcement officers.

Jose Elias Lopez, 51, of Miami was greeted by a Monroe County Sheriff's Office deputy. A charge of resisting arrest without violence was added to more than a dozen environmental conservation counts lodged by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.

FWC Investigator Jeremy Munkelt and Officer Ryan Trueblood were walking along the south end of the Channel 5 Bridge at dusk, keeping an eye out for fishing violations.

When Lopez saw the officers approaching along the embankment at the bridge's Long Key end, FWC spokesman Officer Bobby Dube said, "he threw a bag into the water. Then he went into the water."

"Mr. Lopez got caught in the current so it turned into a search-and-rescue operation," Dube said. FWC shore and marine units along with Sheriff's Office deputies joined the search.

Lopez managed to reach Fiesta Key around 9 p.m., where he was arrested and then booked into the Marathon jail. He was released Monday on a $1,000 bond.

The bag he reportedly attempted to discard got hung up on a tree branch and was recovered.

Lopez faces counts including possession of undersized yellowtail and mangrove snapper, violating the bag limit on yellowtail and mangrove snapper, and exceeding the 10-fish snapper aggregate limit.

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

Post by baseball4life702 »

Now that is some action lol :uplol:

xtremeh18
Old Salt

Post by xtremeh18 »

Went fishing last night to Long Key from 7pm to 1:30am. Caught plenty of mangroves allot of them small under 10" back in they went. Girlfriend end up catching the biggest mangrove out of me and my old man. She caught an 11" and me and my old man tied at 10.5" My cousin caught a nice 13" mangrove which he kept. We left after we started pulling out catfish after catfish, lots of them.

JonathanT305
Weekend Warrior

Post by JonathanT305 »

Fished Tom's Harbor Channel last night, 6-10.

Not much action but picked off a decent 14" mangrove on cut pilchard at night. Fished last of outgoing/slack/beginning of incoming. Ran off because of a storm that never came.

Good luck to everyone out there this Fourth of July weekend.

Backwoods123
Old Salt

Post by Backwoods123 »

Fished long key lastnight with the gf... Got there round 730 hot mutton bite until the sun went down caught 7 only 1 keeper was fun.... Ended the night around 2 with 10 grovers 12-15 inches and one school master and that mutton... Going to go out there around 3 today to see if I can get on that mutton bite again

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

So how was the moon last night and did you have strong tides

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

Backwoods123
Old Salt

Post by Backwoods123 »

Moon was fairly bright and came up around 10:30... Tides weren't to bad but there was some sea weed it's worse today sea weed wise

Backwoods123
Old Salt

Post by Backwoods123 »

Fair warning if anyone is planning on heading down here... The sea weed is horrible!!! Don't waste your time

dan
Weekend Warrior

Post by dan »

Any tarpon hanging around the bridges still?? Also, any bait swimming around? Trying to get down there this weekend. :reeling: :reeling:

Moose
KING MACKEREL

Post by Moose »

There are always tarpon hanging out

xtremeh18
Old Salt

Post by xtremeh18 »

Fished long key last night from 8:30 pm to 2:00 am. The only keeper was a 17" mutton that my cousin caught on out going tide. He caught it on a jig head on frozen shrimp. Besides that grunts, an eel, and a puffer. We caught no mangroves last night. The bite was really slow and the bugs were horrible. Also the trash on the bridge, it amazes me how much of a pig some people are. Clean up after your own sh*t!

cantseeme47
KING MACKEREL

Post by cantseeme47 »

xtremeh18 wrote:Fished long key last night from 8:30 pm to 2:00 am. The only keeper was a 17" mutton that my cousin caught on out going tide. He caught it on a jig head on frozen shrimp. Besides that grunts, an eel, and a puffer. We caught no mangroves last night. The bite was really slow and the bugs were horrible. Also the trash on the bridge, it amazes me how much of a pig some people are. Clean up after your own sh*t!

How were the weeds?
Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them.

xtremeh18
Old Salt

Post by xtremeh18 »

cantseeme47 wrote:How were the weeds?
No weeds at all!

big red
Seasoned Fisher

Post by big red »

Get caught in a heavy thounderstorm this morning at Long Key bridge. I was hiding behind the big Blue trash can with thunder and lightning all around me. The wind gust must be +40mph,all my gears( Knife,bucket etc,etc ) was blown all over the place. Even with rain coat I was soaked.

Get 2 good size Mutton Snapper,the smaller one is 17" and the larger one just touch 20". The big boy hit when the rains started,I did not even have a chance to put it in the cooler. When the rain let up about 20 minutes later,it was still alive. There were lots of larger Grunts around,like 10-11". caught around 20 of them,my friends love fried Grunts.

The sea surface is smooth like a pond after the rain pass,it was still overcast,but with the heat building up. I wait until I am 70% dry and then high tail it out of there. I would have stay longer,but then my shoes,socks are all wet.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

I am proud to hear that you did't give up...

But sounded like that you had no other choice when caught by thunderstorm and +40mph wind in middle of bridge...lol

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

I'm surprised that the middle keys went to weeks without a report. I'll be looking fourward to the next storm. Where did you find good bait.

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

kblue wrote:I am proud to hear that you did't give up...

But sounded like that you had no other choice when caught by thunderstorm and +40mph wind in middle of bridge...lol
I take it you never heard of the legendary tales of Demon Days....

zpunancy
Seasoned Fisher

Post by zpunancy »

Love fishing in or right after a storm they chew like crazy . Thanks for the report

lasthope
Old Salt

Post by lasthope »

I just got back I'm tired and not going into too much detail but between mutton and big Grover I'm limited out. Make it before the storm peeps that's bite HOT
Oh and also caught tails over 14

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Rare wrote:
kblue wrote:I am proud to hear that you did't give up...

I take it you never heard of the legendary tales of Demon Days....
Tell me about it eatpop

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

lasthope wrote:I just got back I'm tired and not going into too much detail but between mutton and big Grover I'm limited out. Make it before the storm peeps that's bite HOT
You back on the track ... :toast:

Wondering what Rambo is doing :scratch:

lasthope
Old Salt

Post by lasthope »

kblue wrote:
lasthope wrote:I just got back I'm tired and not going into too much detail but between mutton and big Grover I'm limited out. Make it before the storm peeps that's bite HOT
You back on the track ... :toast:

Wondering what Rambo is doing :scratch:
I am Rambo now , nah I mean I usually do well but I'll admit last night was def an exceptional night. The bite was on every 10 min it was In Intervals but luckily most of the fish were really nice size. The biggest upset was my grouper rod I hear it clicking but I was farrrr I took off running and locked down my drag lever but he rocked himself and I played the waiting game even banjod the line he would randomly just go deeper until after about and hour and a half he just frayed my 60lb to the point the hook popped :(. If only I ran faster damn it

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

kblue wrote:
Tell me about it eatpop
Once I'm done with the yankee capt report, I will write about them demons days. This weekend no demon days down south. 8)

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Rare wrote:
kblue wrote:
Tell me about it eatpop
Once I'm done with the yankee capt report, I will write about them demons days. This weekend no demon days down south. 8)
You should write a book about all the fishing story... not just about fishing itself but all the happening around the fishing.
It may be your retirement ticket...

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

I'm way ahead of you. Thanks :toast:

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Rare wrote:I'm way ahead of you. Thanks :toast:
Thank you for giving me exclusive right to sell your book in Korea... :toast:

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Pre-Hurricane madness doesn't stop the guys that want to head out and fish. We knew if head out that we might eventually need to head back home if the storm had change path once again and we were heading into a demon day. We didnt find the hell storm, but only a few down pour and high winds out of the west as we knew already from looking at the weather forecast at what was awaiting for us. Riding down to the keys for me many years ago was a straight forward shot from home to the spot. A few trips this year have yield in a great adventure & "we will get there when we get there" This has turned into adventure in itself. ( Thanks bud :wink: ) I wont go into the details as you will have to wait for my book to be publish in Korea first but you guys like pic eiher way. I havent been posting pics or details about any of our trip but kblue has a way of getting me to post. :P The primary target was permit. No bait for other target fish were in the live well so you wanted to fish for other fish you needed to start catching your bait.

k5523915
Old Salt

Post by k5523915 »

Nice fish, and nice weather

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

That does look like a nice day to be out there. That fish looks like she's had a really good recovery after getting a chunk taken out of her. Looks like the taxman was an azz man. No doubt about the stops but I know you were riding in comfort the whole way.

Return to “Monroe County”