Hello over there!

This is the area where you may introduce yourself and let others know a little about you.
flo1980
Fisher

Hello over there!

Post by flo1980 »

Hi there!

My name is Flo, I am living in south germany and I`ll be spending 3 weeks in february/march 2017 traveling the gulf coast with my wife and our two girls (age 1 and 3 then). Apart from spending time on the beach and in the natural reserves I want to do as much fishing as I can (probably that`ll be in the late evening, night and early morning). Here in germany I love to fish for pike, walleye, perch, carp, etc.pp. My saltwater experience is limited (mostly catching snapper and mullet in she mediterranean sea and some trips to norway). But I guess that`s pretty different from fishing for tropical saltwater fish...
We`ll stay on Key Largo (the Pelican Inn), Big Pine Key, Anna Maria Island and Pine Island (Bokeelia).
I will be doing shore fishing and perhaps rent a kayak for a day or two. I like DIY fishing much more then hiring a guide. A small fish I caught on my own feels much better then a big one I "bought".
I already found a lot of beta on this website - thanks a lot! From what I read tarpon is probably too early in the year. I guess I could ring Snappers, Mackerel, Groupers, Barracuda, Redfish or Seatrout. I am so excited! And I like this forum a lot!

Thanks a lot in advance and keep lines tight!
Flo.

flo1980
Fisher

Re: Hello over there!

Post by flo1980 »

Actually I am putting my tackle together. I just wonder which species are a realistic catch if shore fishing in february/march in southwest Florida. I guess a 9ft spinning rod in combination with a 4000size spinning reel and 20lbs braided line should be enough. Wanna fish lures & bait (baitfish, shrimp, cutbait, crabs, whatever...) and just see what`s going on.
From what I read: Spanish Mackerel/Kingfish, Snappers, smaller Grouper, Jacks, Barracuda, Ladyfish, Redfish, perhaps Snook, Seatrout and millions of saltwater catfish?
I have quite a few Rapala X-Raps in different sizes & designs. Love them...any good for saltwater shore fishing?

Thanx a lot!
Flo.

snapperfanatic18
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by snapperfanatic18 »

Trout, barracuda, some snook n tarpon( depending on water temps). And mackeral, bluefish, pompano on the coast

WetWillie
Seasoned Fisher

Post by WetWillie »

Hello, Flo! You vacation/holiday sounds wonderful. I just wanted to add for your consideration, studying up on the regulations for sizes and limits on certain fish species. All of us here on the forum are pretty strict with ourselves and our friends about following the requirements. Most of us practice catch and release (after some quick pictures) and only keep what we plan to eat. But, there are rules and I wouldn't want to see your time over here with us spoiled by not knowing something on your part. I wish you the best for your trip and your fishing adventure. Tight lines always and please keep us posted on your success!
Those other fish must be smart. We caught all the stupid ones!

flo1980
Fisher

Post by flo1980 »

Thanks for the quick answers!

Following rules and regulations in order to maintain a healthy fish population and sealife goes without saying (at least for me). I already checked on the internet about sizes etc. and will get my licence and all info when I am there. I love eating fish but just take what I need. Big ones go free, if not seriously harmed, to make love and spawn again.

I will write a report after that trip. About a German tourist trying to catch his first saltwater fish.

Tight lines!

snapperfanatic18
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by snapperfanatic18 »

Nice lil app called "fish rules".. has everything you need and has pictures..also, works with your gps in case and will automatically change rules n regs for that county or area

flo1980
Fisher

Post by flo1980 »

Hi again!

Actually I am wondering a little, what gear to bring...
I`ll definitely pack my light travel spinning rod with a size 3500 reel and 20 pound braid. Plus my medium travel rod (9 feet, casting weight 50-100g) with a 5000 Penn Sargus and 30 pound braid. I was wondering if it makes sense to bring either a surfcasting rod (12 feet) or a heavier short boat-style fishing rod (8 feet, 30lbs class). Those videos about big fish being caught from bridges and beaches make me a little nervous. If fishing from beaches or shore the surfcaster could reach longer distances. The short rod is heavier and could do a good job from bridges or piers.
Or is this just nonsense and the spinning tackle will handle shore fish.

Would be grateful for any piece of advice.

Thanks,
Flo.

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

[quote="flo1980"]Hi again!

Actually I am wondering a little, what gear to bring...
I`ll definitely pack my light travel spinning rod with a size 3500 reel and 20 pound braid. Plus my medium travel rod (9 feet, casting weight 50-100g) with a 5000 Penn Sargus and 30 pound braid.

This will be fine.

Add short top-shot and have fun. Ask our friend kblue how he likes 12ft rods in the keys,

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Rare wrote: Ask our friend kblue how he likes 12ft rods in the keys,

Your enemy, trees are waiting at the entrance...be careful :wink: 12ft is OK.

You have to adapt your braid for the environment. (shallow and sharp rocks). Add some top shot.
Bait is more important than your gear... I saw people catching fish with even hand line...
you will need to buy a landing gear, bridge net.

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

Go fish Dania. You won't have to worry about legal size, catch n release or bring a net.
Those old queen slave owners that wrote our Constitution 200 years ago were brilliant.

"Every four years Americans get the President they deserve".

Return to “Who are you? Introduce yourself here:”