Fort Laud BEACH CLEAN UP the 24hr Fishing Zone NOV 29 8am

BF Members paying it forward and helping others that are less fortunate and also making a difference and protecting our environment. this area is where you can read about planned events and our accomplishments.
BoatlessFisherman
Fisherman - Owner - Administrator

Fort Laud BEACH CLEAN UP the 24hr Fishing Zone NOV 29 8am

Post by BoatlessFisherman »

I agree that this is a great idea to do now and the mayor even hinted to something like this.

So It is going tp be November 29 8am that is when the parking lots open and there is around 30 to 40 spaces between the two lots.
I chose this date because it is just under 2 weeks away and it gives those that work Sunday a chance to adjust there schedule.

We would clean up the beach from NE 25th st north to NE 30th st and if we have a big turn out we can do more.
This is not just about us fisherman it is about our family's so I hope everyone would bring there family and close friends to spend quality time doing something cool.

Everyone thats wants to help is invited
I will have at my Green Ford Expedition with me Garbage bags, gloves, Hand sanitizer for all.
Date: November 29 2015
Time: 8am
Clean up Location: Fort lauderdale Beach from Ne 25th st to Ne 30thst
Meet Up Location: Parking Lot at NE 27th st that is the south parking lot on N Atlantic blvd
I will also bring Water for all
Anyone bringing something just let me know

This will be fun for a good cause and good conversations COME ALL

What I want to know is whos IN so I can lock this down and plan it.
All I need is volunteers

List of volunteers
Boatless Fisherman +4
Leadslinger +1
Rare
Kblue
Mike O
Gruntking
Stubbs +2 to 4 not sure yet

BeachCleanup.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

Leadslinger
Old Salt

Re: Fort Laud BEACH CLEAN UP the Fishing Zone NOVEMBER 29 8a

Post by Leadslinger »

I'll be there. Most likely bring my old lady as well.

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Re: Fort Laud BEACH CLEAN UP the 24hr Fishing Zone NOV 29 8a

Post by gruntking »

i would love to come along for the fun but im getting my hair done that day
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

BoatlessFisherman

gruntking wrote:i would love to come along for the fun but im getting my hair done that day
Its a clean up we will do hair there. :P
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

BoatlessFisherman

So how many coming with you Gruntking? Gruntking +1
Rare how many with you?
-Tommy A-

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Might be just me for now. Put me as a stand-by for now

BoatlessFisherman

Rare wrote:Might be just me for now. Put me as a stand-by for now
I am going to bring you donuts and coffee :bounce: :bounce:
-Tommy A-

BoatlessFisherman

so who's in
-Tommy A-

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

I'll be 3 days out of SanDiego on the 29th Tommy. Otherwise I'd be there.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

I am in but I have to leave 10... So I will be cleaning 8-10

BoatlessFisherman

Everyone thats wants to help is invited
I will have at my Green Ford Expedition with me Garbage bags, gloves, Hand sanitizer for all.
Date: November 29 2015
Time: 8am
Clean up Location: Fort lauderdale Beach from Ne 25th st to Ne 30thst
Meet Up Location: Parking Lot at NE 27th st that is the south parking lot on N Atlantic blvd
I will also bring Water for all
Anyone bringing something just let me know

This will be fun for a good cause and good conversations COME ALL

What I want to know is whos IN so I can lock this down and plan it.
All I need is volunteers

List of volunteers
Boatless Fisherman +4
Leadslinger +1
Rare
Kblue
Mike O
-Tommy A-

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Hey, Tommy.... I just got off the phone with a mutual friend of ours and i will be down for the cleanup.

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

I will be there
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

I will be driving from homestead exit 2 if anyone think it's to far of a drive
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

gruntking wrote:I will be driving from homestead exit 2 if anyone think it's to far of a drive
I will be getting off a double shift and will be coming from the Miami area.

BoatlessFisherman

Rare wrote:
gruntking wrote:I will be driving from homestead exit 2 if anyone think it's to far of a drive
I will be getting off a double shift and will be coming from the Miami area.
I will be coming straight from work and my first stop will be to get some Donuts and coffee for us to eat and sip
-Tommy A-

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

Yeah.

Want to see which swinging dik is bigger around here????? I WILL BE DRIVING FROM CALIFORNIA to help clean up the beach but it's really to embarrass every one of you cruds that are always too busy to join in when asked. And we are never asked often. Hell, Tommy doesn't ask for anything from us in return for all the hours of enjoyment, information and commaradery we get around here. He shouldn't have had to ask more than once.

But no biggy the exact same bunch of men will be there. Lousy in numbers but huge spirit.
Those old queen slave owners that wrote our Constitution 200 years ago were brilliant.

"Every four years Americans get the President they deserve".

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

Kingofthesea wrote:Yeah.

Want to see which swinging dik is bigger around here????? I WILL BE DRIVING FROM CALIFORNIA to help clean up the beach but it's really to embarrass every one of you cruds that are always too busy to join in when asked. And we are never asked often. Hell, Tommy doesn't ask for anything from us in return for all the hours of enjoyment, information and commaradery we get around here. He shouldn't have had to ask more than once.

But no biggy the exact same bunch of men will be there. Lousy in numbers but huge spirit.

If my plane ticket would have refundable I would be driving up to you
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

What plane ticket? You leaving early? Clean up is almost 2 weeks before your rooster trip.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Plane ticket to San Diego for his trip. He was leaving 1 week early before his trip but the plane ticket is non refundable. He will be at the cleanup so nothing to do what he said just.....just telling dik he was about to do the same as well.

Stubbs
Fisher

Post by Stubbs »

Turning this back to volunteering. I'm in, might be able to convince my girlfriend to come too. Called my mother because she's done ft. lauderdale beach clean ups before, so she's in too. possibly with pops

She also mentioned a website that we can post on where local volunteers look for opportunities to do some good that she's gone on to find opportunities to volunteer. I didn't want to just go ahead and post this since I'm kinda new to the forum and I don't know all of you guys personally, yet, but I can get the info from her and pass it on if someone like Tommy wants to. Or I can do it, either or.

Me+ 2-4 are in

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

Stubbs wrote:Turning this back to volunteering. I'm in, might be able to convince my girlfriend to come too. Called my mother because she's done ft. lauderdale beach clean ups before, so she's in too. possibly with pops

She also mentioned a website that we can post on where local volunteers look for opportunities to do some good that she's gone on to find opportunities to volunteer. I didn't want to just go ahead and post this since I'm kinda new to the forum and I don't know all of you guys personally, yet, but I can get the info from her and pass it on if someone like Tommy wants to. Or I can do it, either or.

Me+ 2-4 are in

whats the site ?
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

BoatlessFisherman

Stubbs wrote:Turning this back to volunteering. I'm in, might be able to convince my girlfriend to come too. Called my mother because she's done ft. lauderdale beach clean ups before, so she's in too. possibly with pops

Me+ 2-4 are in
Awesome thanks for heads up on that site, so you can post it up or just PM me the info and I will take A LOOK.

Rare + not sure yet
Kblue
Mike O
Gruntking
Stubbs +2 to 4 not sure yet
-Tommy A-

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

Stubbs wrote:....... I didn't want to just go ahead and post this since I'm kinda new to the forum and I don't know all of you guys personally, yet, but ?......Me+ 2-4 are in
See how easy it is Stubby one? You're not new anymore and we are glad to have you, gf and the gf and the folks if they can make it. As rite of passage for your first (but definitely not last) Boatless event everyone will want to introduce themselves so for identification try to wear any color wife beater with the letters K.O.T.S. written on the front in marker/crayon or whatever. We will fill you in at the cleanup and welcome to the planks.
Those old queen slave owners that wrote our Constitution 200 years ago were brilliant.

"Every four years Americans get the President they deserve".

Stubbs
Fisher

Post by Stubbs »

Lol I meant post this event to the other site, not the fact that I'll be coming. I'm glad I'll finally be able to make it out

Waiting for mama dukes to send me that website though. I'll post it when I get it

Stubbs
Fisher

Post by Stubbs »

Moms came through... Heres the site

http://www.volunteercleanup.org/

BoatlessFisherman

So else wants to volunteer some time to clean a small beach ?????
-Tommy A-

boriqua187
Fisher

Post by boriqua187 »

So it looks like the city is just going to "nourish" the beach and by that mean kill some reefs because the sand just piles on the reefs naturally with movement for buildings that arent even supposed to be that close to the beach. SMH

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/browa ... story.html

:cheers: :stupid:

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Within a matter of days, a series of dump trucks are expected to rumble in to the coastline carrying something as precious as gold in Broward County: sand.

The county's first major beach renourishment project in 10 years is expected to begin in early December, a sand infusion to beef up about 5 miles of skinny beach in Pompano Beach, Lauderdale-by-the-Sea and Fort Lauderdale. Some parts of those beaches haven't been manually refilled with sand since the 1970s or 1980s. And some never have at all.

Parts of the shoreline are so thin, water laps the seawall at high tide. When the work is done, the beach will be an average of 75 feet wider.

The new beach will keep tourists coming, officials say, but also will protect buildings and roadways.

"It's not just a quality of life or a tourism issue, it's a safety isue,'' Broward County Commissioner Chip LaMarca said. "These buildings ... they're not designed to go under water.''

Broward County has learned the hard way that what nature used to take care of now requires costly human intervention.

When the shoreline was devoid of development, and there were no ports and jetties to interrupt sand flow, beaches waxed and waned without assistance. But now, maintaining the shoreline requires years of permitting, environmental review, engineering and design — and money.

This project, known as "Segment II,'' has been in the works since at least 1996, and will cost $55 million.

"This project is so far long overdue that it's just abhorrent thinking about it,'' said Pio Ieraci, head of the Galt Mile Community Association, which represents a string of 28 condo towers on a sand-starved oceanfront in Fort Lauderdale. "Our beaches are first and foremost our line of protection against the ocean.''

After years of delay, the project got a green light earlier this month, when the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers granted final approval of an agreement in which the feds reimburse $30 million of the cost. Of the remaining portion, the county pays 67 percent and the three cities pay the rest.

"Beaches are one of the lifelines of Broward County's economy,'' U.S. Rep. Lois Frankel, a Democrat who represents most of the coast in Broward and Palm Beach counties, commented in a written statement. "This project will put sand back on the beach, protecting property values and keeping visitors returning to South Florida year after year."

Broward County commissioners gave their final sign-off on Nov. 10, heaving a collective sigh of relief, but also noting that if Fort Lauderdale doesn't approve its end of the agreement soon, that portion of the work could be pushed off another year.

Sea turtle nesting season ended Nov. 1 and starts again March 1. LaMarca said the work must be complete by April 30.

Fort Lauderdale Mayor Jack Seiler said the compact is on the City Commission's Dec. 1 agenda, and he's "cautiously optimistic.''

Correspondence between city and county reveals the two were squabbling over finances, as well as issues like the hours of work, and the county's plans to plant sea grapes to stabilize the sand. The county had asked that the agreement be approved by Fort Lauderdale by Nov. 1.

Fort Lauderdale's sense of urgency for sand increased when a portion of State Road A1A washed out during Hurricane Sandy in October 2012. A small-scale beach restoration took place then, but the disaster highlighted the fragility of Fort Lauderdale's developed beachfront against the powerful surf.

Fort Lauderdale's beachfront will be rebuilt to Terramar Street, a bit north of Las Olas Boulevard.

"We're excited about it,'' Seiler said. "We've been anxiously awaiting this beach renourishment project for quite some time and it is extremely important to the city of Fort Lauderdale. Hopefully we'll be able to resolve any outstanding issues and start seeing some new sand on the beach.''

LaMarca said Eastman Aggregates will do the work, requiring about 38,000 truckloads of sand, or about 700,000 cubic yards. The sand will be beach quality, retrieved from mines in Florida, such as one in LaBelle. Beaches will be closed while they're under construction — about a week at any one site, LaMarca predicted.

Broward business, civic and political leaders say the beach is desperate for sand — the key ingredient to a healthy economy. But it comes at a hefty price.

With this project, $139 million will have been spent rebuilding Broward's beaches since 1970, according to the county.

The most recent major project, the rebuilding of beaches in South Broward, or "Segment III,'' took place a decade ago and cost $44.5 million. A redo of that part of the beach is the next major project planned, expected to cost $53.9 million.

A smaller project, the "sand bypass project,'' where sand will be trapped in a hole on the ocean floor north of Port Everglades for use on beaches to the south is expected to cost $33.9 million.

Broward pays its portion with tourist taxes paid at hotels and short-term rentals. The annual tab is expected to be $7 million. But that's an investment that pays off, said Dan Lindblade, president of the Greater Fort Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce.

"The state did a study that says in Broward for every dollar spent on beach renourishment, there's $5 returned to the economy,'' Lindblade said. "That's the important thing to remember.''

bwallman@tribune.com or 954-356-4541
Copyright © 2015, Sun Sentinel

Stubbs
Fisher

Post by Stubbs »

saddest part is the fact that they don't even mention the coral bleaching or the damage to the ecosystem....

momma and poppa dukes are out (visiting my uncles for thanksgiving) but my big brother and I will be there sunday. possibly my lady too, haven't gotten a firm answer yet.. I'm going to hit up a couple buddies too and see what happens.

Return to “BF Site Gives Back”