another rookie from Davie

This is the area where you may introduce yourself and let others know a little about you.
yrabien48
Fisher

another rookie from Davie

Post by yrabien48 »

Hello everyone, my name is Jose I am from Davie FL, I am new to fishing, eager to learn, I have been searching and reading about the topic, but I am still a little confused, I know I have a very long way to go, and a little time for it, but, I am still interested, I love everything outdoor activities, fishing , hunting, camping and so on, so I am going to need to be guided, I have 3 fishing rods a friend of mine gave me, one of them has a reel the rest no, unfortunately my friend did not know a thing about it either, I would like to do some salt water so I guess I would be using a public place, so, to keep it simple were do I start ? how do I get my rods ready to go, what kind of baits, what kind of fish will I catch in the area, best time to go, well, to many questions, may somebody help me, please .thank you I will appreciate your time.

Jabie1313
Seasoned Fisher

Re: another rookie from Davie

Post by Jabie1313 »

Hi Jose and welcome! Being in Davie you are pretty close to Dania pier. Head out there with your one rod with a reel and just start. Talk to guys on the pier about what they do and catch and just get your lines in. Fishing is pretty slow right now but who knows what you will get. You'll definitely get nothing if you don't go! You will figure it out! Good luck!
-JB
Please check out my blog at: http://helpmefish.wordpress.com/

cvstrat
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Re: another rookie from Davie

Post by cvstrat »

I'd recommend Dania or Deerfield pier. The best way to get started is to bottom fish. I'd recommend buying a combo from Bass Pro to get you started. Penn Battle rod/reel combos are excellent and reasonably priced. They will sell easily too if you decide fishing isn't your thing.

I'd go to Bass Pro, pick up a 5000 series battle combo (make sure it's a 7ft rod, medium to med-heavy), a few 1/2 oz and 1oz egg sinkers, a pack of glass beads, a spool of 30lbs ande mono leader material, a pack of swivels, and a 25 pack of gamakatsu circle hooks. Tie everything together with a carolina rig. Basically put the weight on your line, put a bead on, tie the swivel. To the other end of the swivel tie on 3ft of the mono leader and tie a hook to the end of that. Google it for a pic. Learn to tie a Uni knot and use it everywhere you tie knots.

Buy some frozen finger mullet from bass pro while you're there. Cut yourself a 1-2in chunk of your bait, cast out, then loosen your drag so when a fish pulls it your rod doesn't go over the rail. When you get a bite, pick up your rod, tighten down the drag and start reeling. No need to jerk the rod or set the hook, the circle hook takes care of everything. Try different areas of the pier. If you keep getting hung up and broken off, move to a different area.

Keep repeating this process and keep your eyes open and talk to the people you see there regularly. If people are catching fish see what they're doing. Make friends and people will teach you how to catch fish.

Return to “Who are you? Introduce yourself here:”