Pompano fishing

(Date your Titles) This area is so Members can post the area they may be fishing if it is a public place, "don't post private spots" and other members can fish on by. They could also PM you to keep it not so loud.
Pomphunter
Fisher

Pompano fishing

Post by Pomphunter »

Love surf fishing. Have fished for pompano in the northwest coast area for the past 10 years or so. Now own a place near Crystal River and find that I can fish all the way down to Marco Island and still be closer than where I have been fishing.
Looking for a new area in the southwest that has reasonable accommodations (condo, cabin, house or RV spot for 38’ 5th wheel)for up to a month during the spring run, timing of the run down there (NW is later April through May).
I appreciate any help from you all.

GraysonEverett
Fisher

Re: Pompano fishing

Post by GraysonEverett »

If fishing the surf or piers, use the lightest surf spinning tackle that will get your bait where you want it. In other situations, spinning or light baitcasting tackle with 6-8-pound-test line gives maximum sport. By far the best natural bait is a live sand flea (sand crab), but Pompano also will bite live shrimp or fiddler crabs and—with varying dependability—dead sand fleas, dead shrimp, clams and cut squid. Pompano is ready strikers of artificial jigs, the Florida favorite being quarter-ounce or half-ounce models with short nylon skirts. Fly fishermen catch Pompano with Bonefish-type flies that sink well—those with epoxy heads or lead eyes.
Grayson Everett

Return to “Where are you fishin'?”