You caught that WHERE????

(Date your Titles) This area is so Members can post the area they may be fishing if it is a public place, "don't post private spots" and other members can fish on by. They could also PM you to keep it not so loud.
BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

You caught that WHERE????

Post by BEOWULF »

Ok, so due to the combination of recent skunkin's and bad weather, my fridge is running a bit low on fillets right now. So I did the fisherman's equivalent of going to a hooker... :safe: I bought some! :roll:

Well, as I was unpacking the Mahi from BJ's, I saw on the bag "Product of TAIWAN". Wow, these fish are all over the place, right off our coast, and I'm eating them from Taiwan! What's up with that? :?:

Anyway, they were still delicious, but come on man, Taiwan? :nilly:

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Re: You caught that WHERE????

Post by fishnfool73 »

Much cheaper and frozen. Very little of the commercial fish caught in Florida gets served here.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

You pretty much have to find a good local fish market, I think there are a couple left around, or go to the charter fishing docks to get good local fish. From the big markets you have to know what you are buying cause there are many labels for farm (term used lightly) raised catfish out of Taiwan or Vietnam... and if you google these farms you might not eat strange named fish in resturants any more... when the special or catch of teh day is Talipia beware.
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

I won't touch any farm-raised fish from anywhere! Once saw a PBS special on this, a fish farmer from Chile said he wouldn't eat his own product, farm-raised salmon. (Most salmon around here is farm-raised and from Chile.) I only bought the Mahi cause I know it's not farmed by anyone.

FYI: Some news show a while back had samples of Florida restaurants' Grouper DNA analyzed. Something like 90% turned out to be farm-raised catfish from Asia. Still tastes great though!

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

That's why Asian like to see the whole body of the animal we eat... this way we are pretty sure it's what we think it is...

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

Basa Farms... watch this Vid. , labelled as all kinds of stuff in resturants including Basa.

http://vimeo.com/11817894
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

piper27
Fisher

Post by piper27 »

Ugh! I wondered what kind of fish 'basa"was.

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

krash wrote:Basa Farms... watch this Vid. , labelled as all kinds of stuff in resturants including Basa.
http://vimeo.com/11817894
:pale:

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

Bought another bag (Mahi) same brand, same store, this time it's stamped from Equador. At least we're geting closer to home this time. :fish:

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

BEOWULF..If this weekend i catch the real deal dolphin I will give you some from our waters. Why dont you go to the boat docks that charter in your area and see what they bring in. Yes, price is high but you are getting the real deal and see it right in front of ya.

Return to “Where are you fishin'?”