3/26/2016 West Central 15miles report

This is area is for Boat Caught Fish reports and Pics, understanding that we sometimes fish on Boats please post this type of report and pics here
tears143
KING MACKEREL

3/26/2016 West Central 15miles report

Post by tears143 »

My friend and I were chasing one of our bucket list and that is the hogfish. We both have not tried it and have never caught them. The targeted species is the hogfish!

Looking at the forecast, it seems like we only have half a day to do it as well. Armed with 5 dozen shrimps, we headed out of ft de soto boat ramp to 15 miles offshore, due to the weather.
In the end, we were able to pull it off. Landed 4 hogfishs and 3 keepers! All of them were caught by my friend. I even dropped down to half an oz and 10# to 20# leader and was not able to hook into a hogfish. I guess it wasn't my day for hogfish but were able to land many good mangos. Also landed a 22" gag grouper. It's truly crazy what we can land with such light tackle.

Here's the blood mess.

snapperfanatic18
GOLIATH GROUPER

Re: 3/26/2016 West Central 15miles report

Post by snapperfanatic18 »

Nice haul...dont feel bad,ive NEVER caught one either...but youll get yours...nice report

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

That is a pile of fish, with a big swing in flavor. I would keep those precious grovers to the side and package the meat by type.
Please tell me the hogs ate old stinking squid.

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

Nice catch . I know of one local headboat that is using rock shrimp to catch hogs on half day trips. Also might want to try some small blue crabs to weed out the shrimp eaters.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

MrEnigma
Seasoned Fisher

Post by MrEnigma »

Nice haul! Mangrove and hogfish are two of my favorites.
fishnfool73 wrote:Nice catch . I know of one local headboat that is using rock shrimp to catch hogs on half day trips. Also might want to try some small blue crabs to weed out the shrimp eaters.
Which boat? Is it in S. Fla.? I didn't know headboats ever did anything more creative than chicken rig with squid chunks.

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Post by HJared »

Are u the mr enigma from gotham?

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

Green Tide wrote:That is a pile of fish, with a big swing in flavor. I would keep those precious grovers to the side and package the meat by type.
Please tell me the hogs ate old stinking squid.
I am Asian, I do not fillet my fish. :-p Just kidding. Yeah, the grunts are for my friend.

The hogfish ate shrimps. We went through 5 dozen shrimps to get 3 hogfish.

MrEnigma
Seasoned Fisher

Post by MrEnigma »

HJared wrote:Are u the mr enigma from gotham?
Nope :) just an old screen name I used 15+ years ago and stuck to for convenience. Besides, his name is Nygma.

Return to “Boat Reports and Pics for EVERYWHERE”