The adventure begins. Again!

This is area is for Boat Caught Fish reports and Pics, understanding that we sometimes fish on Boats please post this type of report and pics here
Green Tide
SHARKER

Re: The adventure begins. Again!

Post by Green Tide »

I would never say that I could do better as most fishing trips or a crapshoot with all the variables of wind,current, sees, water temperature . For example my only trip to dry Tortugas was much less then a lot of the trips that I hear and read about. But I don't know anybody that would say DT is not worth a try.
As they say any trip that you make it back to the dock is a good one however it would have been nice to be on the one Pat was on.

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

You went through 6 - 12 ft for 10 days...my hats off... :toast:
My Alaska-native captain used to say at rough sea condition" We first suffer and die"...lol
KOTS was so lucky that he didn't go... :auto:

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

gruntking wrote: maybe i can get old rare to log into my account an handle it for me
Fishman Rare will post it for ya!

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

A rare glimpse into the life of.... Fishman Joe! Enjoy!

Unedited documentary never before seen

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

Thanks rare just so y'all know a lot more videos on YouTube
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

I will check again, but thats all that i saw when i posted

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

They haven't all up loaded yet
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

Rusty's comments on your video is hilarious. Did you film the night we were at Mag Bay when we had a open bite and everyone was running around hooked on tuna?
The Judge asked the prostitute, "At what point did you realize you were raped?"
The prostitute replied (wiping away tears), "When the check bounced."

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Was it the ship crew who kept calling you "Fisherman" on first video?
Pants Up part totally cracked me up... :pistols:

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

IMO it was the weather stupid. Pat has the trip of a lifetime, gets off the boat, Joey, Chris and Rich get on the same boat that then turns around and goes right back out .....and not so much. We have all been there more times than we want but that's the game we play. But ten cold, nasty, windy, rockin n rollin days with "slow" fishing would have been screwing with my naturally effervescent and upbeat personality. Day after day. That's why we don't bring guns on these long trips. :auto:
Those old queen slave owners that wrote our Constitution 200 years ago were brilliant.

"Every four years Americans get the President they deserve".

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

You're a big man GK although I'm not all that surprised.Glad to see you finally have the adventure back in perspective. I promise next years trip to Panama with Rare and me is going to be a totally different story so start getting ready. And hey, down in Ma if the fishing is off all ya need is $30 right?
Those old queen slave owners that wrote our Constitution 200 years ago were brilliant.

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

Kingofthesea wrote:IMO it was the weather stupid. Pat has the trip of a lifetime, gets off the boat, Joey, Chris and Rich get on the same boat that then turns around and goes right back out .....and not so much. We have all been there more times than we want but that's the game we play. But ten cold, nasty, windy, rockin n rollin days with "slow" fishing would have been screwing with my naturally effervescent and upbeat personality. Day after day. That's why we don't bring guns on these long trips. :auto:
LOL Pats trip of a lifetime was 5 days longer and only had 2 good days of fishing that made the trip.... plus he dealt with far worse seas on the way back in. (tommy GK had more than one chance on this trip.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

yes i had 3 chances one was my knot the second was some guy name rick the third well lets not talk about the third so yeah i only had 2 shots but hey chit happens

was it a trip of a lifetime yes it was did i have the perfect experience everyone hopes for doing a trip like this i did but i didnt will i be back on the rooster again probably not but thats not the boats fault its just time for the next adventure
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

2 entirely different locations as well. We fish the Clarion island buffer zone. 950 NM South of SanDiego. Farthest south your trip got was mag bay. About 300 NM north of the island and over 4 from the bank.
FF is also aware of just how bad we were freaking out, in real time. Truth is, we didn't start catching fish in numbers until our last full day. Which was the day before we left. Our last day, we should have left for Cabo at noon, 1:00 latest. We finally pulled anchor at 6:00 PM with fish hanging! Probably could have towed skiers at the speed we were going. We left 5 hours late and burned a ton of fuel just to salvage the trip. As Chris knows, we started with 48 fish on the boat. We got the rest the last 2 days. The 6 days before that were just a disaster. And loosing fish is pretty normal. I realized this trip, guys don't bring 4 of each reel to look cool. They do it because 3 or 4 big fish is about all they can take before their drags start slipping. In a wide open bite, that's a day or less. Charlie burned through 3 ATD 50W in the last 2 days. Rudy smoked an 80 on the kite. And 2 -180s and my cow had my SEa 20 slipping. Everybody pretty much went through a reel the last couple days. Frankly I don't know how it holds up that long.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

Guys ,I Think i know what happend here... and the problem its not his rods and reels.

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

its your big fuggin mouth wont stfu
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

crashmister wrote: And 2 -180s and my cow had my SEa 20 slipping. Everybody pretty much went through a reel the last couple days. Frankly I don't know how it holds up that long.
So are you overall happy with your Makaira ?
I am thinking of buying another...

ilovefishing
Seasoned Fisher

Post by ilovefishing »

So what is a rough estimate on the cost of one of these trips? Including purchasing new gear and all that stuff?

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

I think all together I spent about 6 grand maybe 6500
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

kblue wrote:
crashmister wrote: And 2 -180s and my cow had my SEa 20 slipping. Everybody pretty much went through a reel the last couple days. Frankly I don't know how it holds up that long.
So are you overall happy with your Makaira ?
I am thinking of buying another...
Very happy with the SEa 2 Makairas. 5 year free factory service is pretty sweet.

Cost of these starts with the trip and airfare.

You can do an 8 day for 2500 + air. You Probably won't make mag bay but it's still a popular trip. If you want to do a 10 like these guys just did, 3200 + air to start. Not sure about the ten day but we need a Mexican visa and fishing license. Total cost 220.00. So figure to get there and fish is 4K. You may have much of what you'll need. You'll probably need to upgrade your line and drag washers, but you'll only need one cow rig. That's a heavy rod with any ATD reel super 12 or above. If you're thinking about buying, I highly recommend the Okuma SEa II series reels. But 6 to 6500
Is pretty close

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

hey pat i bought the avet hxw 5/2 and let me just say the reel is a beast i used it pretty much the whole trip except for a couple casts with the raider jig
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

It is cheaper to rent the gear from the Red Rooster. They have high end gear and there is no shame in doing that. I spent about $1100 for the Accurate ATD 12 and had it upgraded to a Super which uses ATD 30 gears. My Calstar set me back $400. That's just one set up. So you can see if you plan to do a lifetime trip why do you need to spend all that money on gear. Just rent. You will need to buy jigs, hooks, and leaders. I spent about $400 on that stuff.

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

gruntking wrote:I think all together I spent about 6 grand maybe 6500
That sounds about right. Let's not forget the cost to ship the fish back home.

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

yessir you are correct bolo so let's call it an easy 7 grand
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

bolo wrote:
gruntking wrote:I think all together I spent about 6 grand maybe 6500
That sounds about right. Let's not forget the cost to ship the fish back home.
.75 a pound to process and close to that for refrigerated air freight. Which is the reason I trade for a small 80 pounder or so. Way to much meat!

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

The last half day of fishing before heading to Cabo.

Because of the 3 hour time difference and the fact I don't sleep much, I'm up at 3:00 AM or earlier every morning. And every morning we'd (crew member on watch & I) make bait until we move out to fish. Last morning we had plenty of bait from the night before so im chilling on the back deck at 2:40AM and the motors start. Andy decided to get on spot early for the last morning. We were dropping anchor by 3;00.

The anchor being like the boat alarm clock usually gets everyone out of bed. This morning however not so much. Only 5 of us are awake at this point. Charlie, Mark, and I drop PL 68 jigs and Ben and Rudy hook up baits and start em running. All 5 of us are on almost immediately with big fish.

The anchor may have been ignored, but the sound of feet running around deck had everyone up and out in a very short time. I get cut and my main is shreaded worse that anything I've ever seen. As I go for another rig, I realize almost the whole boat is hooked up! I count 11 fish hanging and 2 others running long away. And the tangles are just starting. I see old Mike hasn't hooked up yet so I grab his 130 rig and drop a Christmas tree which gets nailed and I hand off to Mike and reel up his other rig. Buy now one of the first fish is at the boat. Charlie decks his first cow of the day. Mark and Rudy follow suit with probable cows. By the time Ben gets his to the boat it's chaos with tangles everywhere. Andy yells, somebody grab a gaff! I grab the closest hook and go for it. With 2 gaffs we try and fail to pull this fish over. Derick puts a hook in and we get the fish over. 220 range cow! First 4 fish of the day 2 probable and 2 certain cows. I go back to following Mike with his fish (frigging beast) Mike being a 72 year old Asian man, is just an awesome guy! Probably the most liked guy on the boat. Whatever it takes, he's landing this fish. And an hour and 40 min later his first cow hits the deck. So far this morning, 10 fish, all between 180 and 220 and the suns not even up yet. Fish after fish coming in or hooking pretty much steady. One or 2 fish seemed to be hanging almost all the time until about 9:00. Then the kites started going off. First one, then the other,bang bang. Next thing we know, we can't get a kite bait more than 20 yards out before its destroyed. 19 people went through the kite rotation in under an hour. Charlie and Ben both deck cows as do a few others. I passed of my spot
to John who still didn't have a big fish. He's on in seconds and eventually lands a 190ish. By now the bite has slowed enough to grab breakfast which was delayed by the wide open bite. Well that and the kitchen crew was diverted to the deck to help out. After breakfast the bite slowed way down. We still had fish on but only 1 or 2 at a time. That stayed pretty steady until about noon. Then started to pick up with Charlie hooking up a big fish, then Mark, and then me. No one was fishing on the stern. The hanging fish were all on the bow. I grabbed my 30 and dropped a bait. It didn't get to the end of my windon and was destroyed! It's on again! Feels like a good fish so I'm looking to hand it off but no ones around. At that point I lock the drag and start dragging. He's coming in or coming off. I get up to the bow and Charlie's still on with what ends up being the jack pot winner. Short while later another 180 and I'm done! I wander back up to the bow and Charlie finally is showing blue line. Last 100 feet of line is blue so he knows how much farther he needs to go. That 100 feet took another 40 min. Takes 4 of us to lift this beast over the rail. Cow 3 for :nemo:
Charlie Tanaka, and he ain't done yet! It's now 1:00PM and we should be leaving. Andy makes an announcement that we can stay a little while if people are still fishing but if no ones fishing, well just leave. Pretty much the whole boat is fishing at this point. Which Andy discovers as he returned to the deck. Apparently he looked to see who was fishing just as lunch was called so only a couple people were on deck, and they had fish is on. When he saw the whole boat and some of the crew fishing, he said to me, I guess we're staying. For the next 5 hours fishing is epic. Not so much numbers but size, a couple fish in the 180+ range hanging almost all the time. We're starting to loose more and more fish from gear and line failures. Even the best gear can only take so much. The veterans are falling back to second and third backups by now. Even with one kite down, we're still rolling through the kite rotation as fast as guys get a bait in the water. Everything is hit long before its set. As 5:30 rolls around Andy lets everyone know we're leaving shortly so anyone wants a last shot, nows a good time. Next thing we know, we have 7 fish hanging off the boat, including cow #4 for Charlie. By 6:30 Andy,s pulling anchor with 2 fish still hanging. We finally start for Cabo at 6:50. The entire boat is exhausted but elated. Out of 9 days fishing, we
Had one good day and one epic day and the rest of the trip was a disaster of conditions and circumstances beyond our control. While it was a great trip, I'm looking forward to next year. Like Joe said, these trips aren't for everybody. But I can't see missing one any time soon. It's world class fishing with VIP accommodations. The crew is great and I have become good friends with several of them. I had no clue until FF73 drug me on the same 10 day they were just on, 5 years ago now. I won jackpot with a 150.5 fish. I also found the best fight I've ever had. Ive been hooked ever since. This was the best big fish trip I've been on. But all the trips have been amazing one way or another. Saw my first super cow 2 years ago when Mark got his 340. B I G frigging fish! Last trip we had a pilot whale chasing kite baits, last year we had a whale shark hanging around the boat. We had little birds all over the boat one year. We got then on the way down in bad weather. We could pick em up and pet em. They had no fear of us at all. In fact if you sat still on deck they'ed land on you. Just trying to get out of the weather. Still pretty cool. No clue how they survive. They're not much bigger than a humming bird. Every trip is something like that. It's pretty much the same group every year with a few different people from time to time. Then there's guys like Charlie,
Ben, & Rudy who have been fishing these boats for 4 decades. Can't believe how much I've learned from these guys because they're so willing to help. So yeah the fishing can be amazing, but it's not the only reason I go. I know on regular trips, the crew doesn't allow fishermen to pull bait or gaff fish. Our trip everybody's crew if the situation calls for it. You've got 5 mates and 10 or 12 fish hanging, you just got promoted! Lol. Normally the whole boat is seasoned regulars so the crew has a ball! Nobody's hand to hold.
Just loading and leaving is a different attitude than normal. It's more like were piling on a buddies boat than a commercial charter. And yeah, that does include driving the boat.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

Thanks for taking the time to post the details Pat. I could almost see the chaos

STRIZ
KING MACKEREL

Post by STRIZ »

Cool writeup Pat :toast:
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP HIGH
EVEN WHEN THE NECK IS DIRTY

Return to “Boat Reports and Pics for EVERYWHERE”