Skyway Pier South Fishing Reports 2009 -10-11-12-13-14

Boatless Fishing reports for the Hillsborough County - Tampa Area - Also the countys of Citrus - Hernando - Pasco - Pinellas - Manatee - Sarasota - Desoto
BoatlessFisherman
Fisherman - Owner - Administrator

Skyway Pier South Fishing Reports 2009 -10-11-12-13-14

Post by BoatlessFisherman »

This thread is for your reports.
Last edited by BoatlessFisherman on Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

SnookMook
KING MACKEREL

Post by SnookMook »

6/3/08

Sunshine Skyway Area: The big gag grouper are leaving due to the warmer water, but there’s still some around. The mangrove snapper bite has been real good along with lane snapper and white grunts. Spanish mackerel are day to day. There’s lots of bait fish in the area. Boat anglers are hooking up on tarpon at the bridge on big threadfins, reports Terry Wilson of Skyway Bait and Tackle (941-721-0461). Big speckled trout in the early morning in Terra Ceia Bay. Occasional redfish on the flats in the mornings, Wilson said.

"May your lines be tight and your shake off's and break off's memorable."

http://forshorefishing.theledger.com/

anubis10111
Seasoned Fisher

Post by anubis10111 »

I was fishing at the skyway last week on thru/fri. In the morning the weather was perfect but by late afternoon started to rain both days. Caught 8 macks the first day, the second day I only caught 4 after that it was pretty slow. Lots of bait, but too small to catch on sabiki. Was going to stay untill saturday but decided to head back to Miami. I might go to Jupiter on the weekend.
R.I.P. Johnny
10/31/69-02/06/08

WhoDey
KING MACKEREL

Post by WhoDey »

We need a boatless trip to the skyway bridge. Anyone down for something in July?

MoJo
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by MoJo »

Is it open 24/7 and can you "camp" in or out of your vehicle?

SnookMook
KING MACKEREL

Post by SnookMook »

Mojo--You can definitely sleep in your vehicle. I'm not sure about setting up a tent though. You might be able to.

Here is the pier contact info:

North Pier: 727-865-0668
South Pier: 941-729-0117
Fax: 727-906-8085
Email: skywaypiers@wildblue.net

Dadfish
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Dadfish »

WhoDey wrote:We need a boatless trip to the skyway bridge. Anyone down for something in July?
Oh yeah..I'm taking time off from work in July..I'd be up for a day trip or two...(maybe an overniter)...

Feared by many, ridiculed by most, lusted after by all that see me...
I am....DADFISH !!!

SnookMook
KING MACKEREL

Post by SnookMook »

If anyone from Boatless plans a trip to the Skyway make sure to let me know. I'll drive over and meet up with you guys and we can make a bash out of it.

I'll take photos and maybe shoot some video too.

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

Dadfish wrote:
WhoDey wrote:We need a boatless trip to the skyway bridge. Anyone down for something in July?
Oh yeah..I'm taking time off from work in July..I'd be up for a day trip or two...(maybe an overniter)...
Dadfish, ( offtopic )

My Parents live in Dunellon, and I have seen those snook in your Avatar laugh at me every winter basking in the 72 degre headwaters of all the nice Rivers there ( most are protected as you, I'm sure, know all too well......) Chasohowitzka, Homossassa, and Crystal.....Especially in the Homosassa...gives new meaning to " stacked up like cord-wood"

I found a lil bubbly spot out off Ozello Trail W of 19, however, that is not protected...unfortunatley my Kayak is a wet ride and your winters up there are friggin cold....lol

One day I will get to em on a boat and see if they hang there like they do in the others....
TEAM 'COOKIN' :
:chef: "Still building 'em one BAITCATCHER at a time " :chef:

ripnlips
Seasoned Fisher

Post by ripnlips »

i know exactly where that spot is! if you can make your way thru the manatees in the winter, you can catch snook there all day long. found that spot by accident about 5 years ago.

killula
KING MACKEREL

Post by killula »

Il take a day or two and head up there during a weekend in July.

ripnlips
Seasoned Fisher

Post by ripnlips »

today was a good day for the tarpon. we got to the pier at 8 am. we netted some little fry baits to start us off til the tide change. when the tide swiched it was on!! tarpon everywhere busting thru the bait schools. pods of them on each side of us. the ones that were rolling were small, only 50 to 75 pounders. total of 7 hookups for us and the guys next to us.

ripnlips
Seasoned Fisher

Post by ripnlips »

btw, biggest of the bunch was about 150 lbs and ate a whole 19 inch spanish mackeral.

Dadfish
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Dadfish »

Sweet..I figured they would show up after I left..lol

Feared by many, ridiculed by most, lusted after by all that see me...
I am....DADFISH !!!

SnookMook
KING MACKEREL

Post by SnookMook »

Did you guys try to catch any snapper? I'm heading over to the Gandy tomorrow afternoon and evening.

chank
Seasoned Fisher

Post by chank »

my friend caught a 44.8 pound cobia last night

killula
KING MACKEREL

Post by killula »

I need to catch my first tarpon, and test out my saltist

ripnlips
Seasoned Fisher

Post by ripnlips »

the snapper bite wasn't so hot, but we fished for snapper for an hour or so. caught 2 keepers.

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Re: Skyway Pier South Fishing Reports 2008

Post by cudaman »

I'll be there tomorrow afternoon with my nephews. Hoping for some small fish for them, they're 8 and 6 years old. I'll put out a shark rod inthe meantime. Will post a catch or no catch report when I come back.

O.K. Went on a mission to hook my nephews on their fish fish. The day was slow, others were catching tiny mangroves now and then and a small grouper less han than 15 inches here and there. The bait was all over as it always is. Since it was so slow I thought; What better way to get them on some fish than to do it with some bait. They were extremly happy about catching those pinfish for my key trips, :D

Chris' first fish
Christians_first_fish.jpg
Matt's first fish
Mathews_first_fish.jpg
Family wiith bait stringer
stringer.jpg

The shark rod had no action, I later found out I was too far out. A 6 to 7 foot bull was caught near the entrance of the Skyway, they killed it and took the meat and jaws. :shock:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
That loves to fish.

anubis10111
Seasoned Fisher

Post by anubis10111 »

Does anybody fishes skyway anymore? Come on guys I would like to see some good reports.
R.I.P. Johnny
10/31/69-02/06/08

SnookMook
KING MACKEREL

Post by SnookMook »

I was out at the South Skyway last weekend before Fay came through and a few buddies of mine were there the night before. It was slow. You would have thought with the full moon the mangrove snapper should have been off the chart. But all I got was one keeper mango, a nice big white grunt, and two short red grouper.

My buddies faired even worse, but they're not that experienced and didn't move once the entire time they were out there.

chum on her face
Old Salt

Post by chum on her face »

what us guys im from miami and im commin up to spring hill to visit my mom for the weekend . just wanted to know how far the drive is to skyway or any decent spots i can wet my line? any info will be great. thanx

mickey999
Seasoned Fisher

Post by mickey999 »

chum on her face wrote:what us guys im from miami and im commin up to spring hill to visit my mom for the weekend . just wanted to know how far the drive is to skyway or any decent spots i can wet my line? any info will be great. thanx
Pier 60 in Clearwater Beach is usually worth wetting a line at, I,ve always caught a few when I,ve fished there,free parking too if you dont mind a 5 min walk from the harbour bridge(next to the new foot bridge)

englishadam
Seasoned Fisher

Post by englishadam »

6 hours to go till i Finnish work and im going up to Tampa tonight visit the girlfriends family will be out on the boat all day tomorrow, but hoping to fish skyway on Sunday any pointers for me please will be my first time there.

Thanks

Adam.

ripnlips
Seasoned Fisher

Post by ripnlips »

freeline a pinfish or a big threadfin and hang on!
grouper all over the rocks. kingfish out at the end.
if you like throwing a gocha or a spoon, there are lots of big spanish mack and bonito everywhere.

Frogfish101
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Frogfish101 »

ripnlips, are you netting the pinfish/threadfins?
"Our lives are defined by the sum of our ventures into the unknown."
-Juro Mukai

ripnlips
Seasoned Fisher

Post by ripnlips »

if you want the big ones. use a sabiki. you can net the small ones for the spanish macks or for chum.

Frogfish101
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Frogfish101 »

Thanks! Are they all around the pier, or only at the beginning closer to the rocks?
"Our lives are defined by the sum of our ventures into the unknown."
-Juro Mukai

ripnlips
Seasoned Fisher

Post by ripnlips »

they are everywhere nearly year around. the threadfins will face into the current. very easy to catch on incoming tide with a net or a sabiki. for the pins, tip your sabiki with a little "stank" before you toss it in. (i.e. squid chunks or small cut pieces of whatever) :pukel:

interndoc
Weekend Warrior

Post by interndoc »

ripnlips wrote:they are everywhere nearly year around. the threadfins will face into the current. very easy to catch on incoming tide with a net or a sabiki. for the pins, tip your sabiki with a little "stank" before you toss it in. (i.e. squid chunks or small cut pieces of whatever) :pukel:
remember me ripnlips ? I was the one introduced myself on sunday. So did you catch any grouper since you moved to your favor spot ?

Return to “Central West Florida”