Ancole gulf pier.. Nuclear monster

Boatless Fishing reports for the Hillsborough County - Tampa Area - Also the countys of Citrus - Hernando - Pasco - Pinellas - Manatee - Sarasota - Desoto
tears143
KING MACKEREL

Ancole gulf pier.. Nuclear monster

Post by tears143 »

I went there just before the sunrise and fished on the pier until about 11:30pm.
I got to see the Nekid ball jig team out there fishing for pompano as well. He gave me a jig to try out. I am saving it for later when I am fishing with a bunch of other people who uses the doc goofy to see how it compare to it.

Long story short, not much was out there. There were a few specks trout being caught at the hole. Beginning of the pier where the wader fish. There weren't much going on. Around 7:45am, I was able to get a decent size pompano... about 12-13". Around 8:30am, I got a nice hit and it turned out to be a 10# jacks, which I drag him to the shore and landed. At the same time, the guy next to me fishing bait got a hard hit. I didn't know what it is since, I have a fish that I am fighting as well. Turn out that it's a 32" cobia and just short. At the same time the FWC was around checking people's fish and I thank them for that!

A few more hours there and everyone started leaving. I was being a hardhead and I was like... well another 15 minutes and I'll leave at 10am. Before you know it... about 3 cast later, I got a hard hit and the fish is running weird. I know I foul hooked the fish and it's most likely a pompano, permit, or a jack. I pulled it close enough and saw a big shadow in the water and figure that it would be a permit, since it doesn't look like a jack and it's pretty big! In the end, I landed that fish and it turned out to be a big pompano.. in the 15-16" range.

Now I am stoked! So I fished a little more and than something big hit again. It didn't run much but it was heavy. Thinking to myself that it's a jack the entire time, until I pulled it close enough. Once it is close, I told my friend it's a permit! There's a nagging feeling in me that it's not a permit, since it didn't run like one and it's way to big to be a pompano. On closer inspection, it turned out to be a huge pompano! It is about 18-18.5" to the fork pompano! Probably weight about 5#. So I ended up with 3 nice pompano!

I gave my friend the 15-16" pompano, so he can gill it up and feed it to his kid.

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Re: Ancole gulf pier.. Nuclear monster

Post by crashmister »

Nice fish. Got an 18 fork at Anglens a few years ago. Think Tommy still has the pic.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

snapperfanatic18
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by snapperfanatic18 »

Beast pomp!!!!! Nice report!

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

Solid fish! Good stuff! It is usually that "this is the last cast", which turns into another hour or so of fishing especially when you get a nice fish!

-Swordfish

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

Sweet
Those old queen slave owners that wrote our Constitution 200 years ago were brilliant.

"Every four years Americans get the President they deserve".

ffishermen1
Seasoned Fisher

Post by ffishermen1 »

great looking pompano.

Return to “Central West Florida”