10/04/2015 SSP report mack on FIRE!

Boatless Fishing reports for the Hillsborough County - Tampa Area - Also the countys of Citrus - Hernando - Pasco - Pinellas - Manatee - Sarasota - Desoto
tears143
KING MACKEREL

10/04/2015 SSP report mack on FIRE!

Post by tears143 »

Started the day fishing for pompano at my usual spot. Not much happening.. A macks here and there cutting off my line. The water was dirty and it doesn't look good. But I kept at it. In the end got two pompanos. A baby and a keeper. Saw another person got a keeper as well.

Went snapper fishing afterward because the weather doesn't seem to be blowing that much. Once I got onto the pier... man it was blowing!!!! Got to my spot and rig up my pompano rod and reel to try to catch some macks. Freelining them... All of a sudden, the reel keep on going and going, then it turn around and ran toward me. I reel in fast then it decide to go back out.. phew. But it just keep on singing... I add more drag and pop there it goes. Wasn't sure what it was... tarpon? King? Bonita? My pompano rod and reel is a 1k reel with 8lbs test... LOL.

Well rigged my mack setup to fish for the mack. 20lbs with 20lbs floru. Lost so many hooks with this setup. Circle hooks as well. Switch to long shank hook and caught some and lost some as well. Then switch to 40lbs and caught more and still lose some. One time, I hook up and thought it was a big mack but then sudden it woke up and start flying threw the water. I have to chase it down the pier and keep on reeling. Turn out to be a nice bonita... around 10lbs. I keep on freelining for macks.. until I hit my limit and went home. The macks are big.. 16" -20+ All in all a very nice day.

Caught tons of baby kingfish as well.

baby pompano... see the yellow belly?

Keeper pompano 12"

totally tally 15 macks and 1 pompano. Gave the bonita away.

lkatze2
Seasoned Fisher

Re: 10/04/2015 SSP report mack on FIRE!

Post by lkatze2 »

nice job tears, I am hoping to get up there soon. It has been a long time since i have been to the SSP.

LINESIDER
Old Salt

Post by LINESIDER »

nice hual... those are always fun when on fire

bob733
Fisher

Post by bob733 »

Where is SSP?

swordfish
SHARKER