SSP 11/7, 11/8, and 11/9 report.

Boatless Fishing reports for the Hillsborough County - Tampa Area - Also the countys of Citrus - Hernando - Pasco - Pinellas - Manatee - Sarasota - Desoto
tears143
KING MACKEREL

SSP 11/7, 11/8, and 11/9 report.

Post by tears143 »

11/7

Started out going after pompano... sure did have a lot of fun... catching jacks that is. A big school was around and I was hitting them every or every other cast. The snapper were quite vicious that day. A lot of small one but was able to get a keeper. Was able to hook onto a nice pompano, probably about 16" but on my lightest rod and reel. Got him to the surface and was trying to find a way to flip him up but he broke the line instead. >.< Soon I got bored of it and headed to the end of the pier to try for some macks. On the way tot he end, I stopped near the baitshop and picked up perfect size bait! Went to the end and saw that I didn't need to pick any bait up... There were tons of bait out there. Was able to land a few macks. They were on the smaller size, around 12" - 16". These guy were so picky and they were biting deeper in the water column. People who were using big sabiki was doing pretty good. I head back to the beginning to tried my luck again for the pompano and was able to picked up two nice one. A 14" and a 16". I was so happy.
(lots of jacks, a few bluefish, ladyfish, pompano, and snappers)

11/8

Was tired from yesterday fishing, so I went out there late. Got there around 3:30pm and just fish for pompano. I was catching jacks off and on when the family that was fishing opposite side of me decided they wanted to catch some as well. All four of them came to my side and started fishing right next to me or on top of me... I just packed up and move down the bridge. Was still able to land jacks and ladyfish. They couldn't get any bite and left. I moved back to the spot and was able to land a nice 14" pompano.
(same as above)

11/9
Went back again today for the sunrise fishing with my friend and brother. Got there at sunrise and jacks were all over the pack. Had fun catching them left and right. There were some bluefish mix in the group. Was able to get one pompano and my brother landed another one. Both were about 12". Headed to the end of the pier for some macks fishing. My friend was able to land some macks with his spoon before I get there. We got there and couldn't find any bait. We toss lure and play around a bit without any real success. Then the bait came and we were able to net them. Got enough bait to supply the whole end of the pier... Fished for macks and was able to land one only. Very slow... the result of being behind a cold font I guess. My brother left and I joined up with my friend. Fish for a bit more and was able to end the day with 20macks. 12" - 16" most of them. I think one might be 20". Macks are hard to catch but if you work hard at it you can catch some.

Baits

Grouper on a jig

Catch of 11/7

I know you guys are planning to come. Hope this report makes you guys excited! ;)

grouperking
Old Salt

Re: SSP 11/7, 11/8, and 11/9 report.

Post by grouperking »

can you cast net from the bridge?
I know you cant cast from bridges but do they make exceptions here?

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

You can cast net from the bridge. I always do... Unless the bait are too deep then I sabiki them up.

ffishermen1
Seasoned Fisher

Post by ffishermen1 »

great report tears.

I to was out there, fished about 11pm on 11/7 to about 5:30 Saturday morning. Wished I stayed out there a few more hours but it was very cold that night with the wind blowing and just could get warm.

We manged to catch a small grouper, nice flounder, small hammerhead shark, lots of snappers and grunts, and a ton of sail cats. Between the cold and catfish we called it a night.

I plan on going back and fish 11-21/22 and fish both days before flying out for Thanksgiving holiday.

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

how have the rays been out there ?
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

grouperking
Old Salt

Post by grouperking »

ffishermen1 wrote:great report tears.

you caught these on pilchards?

SaltyDog
KING MACKEREL

Post by SaltyDog »

:uplol: Nice fish fellas :toast:

ffishermen1
Seasoned Fisher

Post by ffishermen1 »

caught these on fresh ballyhoo, the flounder hit a tail section.

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

gruntking wrote:how have the rays been out there ?
Saw a big school out there. cow-nose eagle ray that is.

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

I plan on going back and fish 11-21/22 and fish both days before flying out for Thanksgiving holiday.
I'll probably be out there that weekend as well. Do you want to meet up?

ffishermen1
Seasoned Fisher

Post by ffishermen1 »

tears143 wrote:
I'll probably be out there that weekend as well. Do you want to meet up?
Sure man it's nice to meet and fish with another member.

snapperfanatic18
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by snapperfanatic18 »

nice report fellas!!!! awesome fish! do you guys know why those gags are on the darker side? the ones ive caught and seen have that olive green tint, but never seen them with that dark black near second half of its body..

SaltyDog
KING MACKEREL

Post by SaltyDog »

They re mulatto :mrgreen:

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

Tears your reports are always great reading. Hope to meet you on the planks soon
Those old queen slave owners that wrote our Constitution 200 years ago were brilliant.

"Every four years Americans get the President they deserve".

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

Not much to report today. Was so busy with work that I took a breather and went fishing but came back and am working right now LOL.

Anyways, there are still good school of jacks. I see more bluefish being caught as well. The macks are still around but the pompano are no where to be seen.

See another small grouper being caught.

Hopefully Thanksgiving week will be awesome!
Water was crystal clear today.

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

Thx for the reports! I went up there this weekend on a whim, last minute trip sort of thing. Did not have a lot of time and therefore it was a very short trip since I live 3 hours away. I was tossing jigs from the catwalk since the North pier was chuck full of people. It was incoming tide when I got there at midnight, and was ripping! I took a walk on the catwalk and began my search for a hungry fish and was NOT disappointed! I got thumped and I setup hard on the fish, I figured it was a snook and since I fish 65lbs braid on 80 lbs leader I did not worry too much about a fight… BOY WAS I WRONG! Fish ran HARD against the incoming tide (which those of you that know it, know how hard it RIPS through there!)
After about a minute of running against it he went for the pylons and that’s when I put the brakes on it and saw it come up briefly on its side, a BEAUTIFUL bull red! This thing was BIG, from the catwalk it looked huge. As most fish tales, the best ones are the ones that get away! However my buddy was right there with me and saw it all unfold, the fish then made a hard turn WITH the current and started ripping line out of my locked drag new Cabo 60! I mean RIPPING line out! I have not had a single snook do that to me, even the big mamas I always catch! This thing had a motor on it, it PINNED ME against the rail (I weigh damn near 400 lbs, this is no easy task), caught the tide like a sail and just kept going, rubbing the braid against the bottom of the catwalk till it was just too much for it. I could not get good leverage on her and pop went the weasel! I was dumbfounded and humbled… Just sitting there in disbelief at what had just transpired….

We didn’t really put too much effort after that, I was exhausted from driving up after a long day. We decided to take a nap for the night around 3am. At dawn we headed for the north jetty again with the usual ultralight setups. It was elbow to elbow as always on weekends. Still managed to catch a few macks, nothing big, saw a few bluefish coming up and over, but no reds and not much else. All in all it was slow up north, the cold front coming should stir things up a bit! I will be up there again looking to get a bull red on a jig, and hopefully LAND it this time… No JOKE that was INSANE the sheer power of that fish.

-Swordfish

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

swordfish wrote:Thx for the reports! I went up there this weekend on a whim, last minute trip sort of thing. Did not have a lot of time and therefore it was a very short trip since I live 3 hours away. I was tossing jigs from the catwalk since the North pier was chuck full of people. It was incoming tide when I got there at midnight, and was ripping! I took a walk on the catwalk and began my search for a hungry fish and was NOT disappointed! I got thumped and I setup hard on the fish, I figured it was a snook and since I fish 65lbs braid on 80 lbs leader I did not worry too much about a fight… BOY WAS I WRONG! Fish ran HARD against the incoming tide (which those of you that know it, know how hard it RIPS through there!)
After about a minute of running against it he went for the pylons and that’s when I put the brakes on it and saw it come up briefly on its side, a BEAUTIFUL bull red! This thing was BIG, from the catwalk it looked huge. As most fish tales, the best ones are the ones that get away! However my buddy was right there with me and saw it all unfold, the fish then made a hard turn WITH the current and started ripping line out of my locked drag new Cabo 60! I mean RIPPING line out! I have not had a single snook do that to me, even the big mamas I always catch! This thing had a motor on it, it PINNED ME against the rail (I weigh damn near 400 lbs, this is no easy task), caught the tide like a sail and just kept going, rubbing the braid against the bottom of the catwalk till it was just too much for it. I could not get good leverage on her and pop went the weasel! I was dumbfounded and humbled… Just sitting there in disbelief at what had just transpired….

We didn’t really put too much effort after that, I was exhausted from driving up after a long day. We decided to take a nap for the night around 3am. At dawn we headed for the north jetty again with the usual ultralight setups. It was elbow to elbow as always on weekends. Still managed to catch a few macks, nothing big, saw a few bluefish coming up and over, but no reds and not much else. All in all it was slow up north, the cold front coming should stir things up a bit! I will be up there again looking to get a bull red on a jig, and hopefully LAND it this time… No JOKE that was INSANE the sheer power of that fish.

-Swordfish
i think you are a little confused

ssp south skyway pier
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

gruntking wrote:
swordfish wrote:Thx for the reports! I went up there this weekend on a whim, last minute trip sort of thing. Did not have a lot of time and therefore it was a very short trip since I live 3 hours away. I was tossing jigs from the catwalk since the North pier was chuck full of people. It was incoming tide when I got there at midnight, and was ripping! I took a walk on the catwalk and began my search for a hungry fish and was NOT disappointed! I got thumped and I setup hard on the fish, I figured it was a snook and since I fish 65lbs braid on 80 lbs leader I did not worry too much about a fight… BOY WAS I WRONG! Fish ran HARD against the incoming tide (which those of you that know it, know how hard it RIPS through there!)

-Swordfish
i think you are a little confused

ssp south skyway pier
Sounds like Sebastian Inlet.

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

Duh!!! It sure is. My apologies, Mod can we please move this to the correct place?

-Swordfish

SaltyDog
KING MACKEREL

Post by SaltyDog »

Wheres the big mommas?

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

Don't care where you posted the report.......Thanks bud. Loved the read. If great fish didn't win once in a while it wouldn't be as much fun. And that great fish took your a$$ to the woodshed :auto:
Those old queen slave owners that wrote our Constitution 200 years ago were brilliant.

"Every four years Americans get the President they deserve".

ffishermen1
Seasoned Fisher

Post by ffishermen1 »

nice report sword regardless of where you pit it. :P

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

11/21

Slow day. 9am - 12:30pm

Only got one small grouper and a jack. Fish the beginning of SSP and the small bridge before it.

Return to “Central West Florida”