Freshwater Tarpon

This area is for Boatless Fishing Freshwater Help and Info.
xtremeh18
Old Salt

Freshwater Tarpon

Post by xtremeh18 »

I'm putting together a new rod to add to my collection. I just bought a spinfisher v 4500 (not sure if I'm going to put 10lb or 12lb mono) mounted on an Ugly Stik Elite medium 7 foot. My question is what bait do I use for freshwater tarpon?

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Re: Freshwater Tarpon

Post by fishnfool73 »

Live bait tough to beat live cichlids shiners bream or tilapia. Depending on where you are fresh mullet chunks on the bottom work wonders if the turtles leave you alone.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

Post by baseball4life702 »

Come with me to my spot, I wanted to go yesterday but the storms were unfishable.
Shiners, floating rapalas, crankbaits. It's more of when you go compared to what bait you use. Before during after storms they were eating what I mentioned above. Btw this tarpon broke 8lb with ease and isn't super big 20-30lb range I would skip 10, go with 12 or 15 I got 15 myself.

xtremeh18
Old Salt

Post by xtremeh18 »

Thanks for the tips guys, I really appreciate it! :toast:

baseball we will be in touch.

xtremeh18
Old Salt

Post by xtremeh18 »

I caught this bass on Monday night.

He gave me a good fight on my ultra light rod with a 3000 reel on 6lb mono. It was nice to feel a fish at the end of the line after 2 weeks of not fishing. lol :reeling:

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

Yea light rod with a 3000 series is what I use too one 8lb and one 6lb setup.
Too bad my peacock spot has been terrorized like a village in Africa its 10 minutes from the tarpon spot there is still a few nice ones but shy now and the next levee holds the largemouth they are still there fortunately.

xtremeh18
Old Salt

Post by xtremeh18 »

baseball4life702 wrote:Too bad my peacock spot has been terrorized like a village in Africa
LMFAOOOO!! That sucks but funny.

Taking about peacocks I went out last night with my cousin and caught one. The top part of it's mouth was all Fk-ed up, it was weird looking never seen one like that before. The thing looked mutated.

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

Yea that is weird never seen anything like it. Probably some kind of birth defect.
Did u catch that thing on a knocker rig lol? :dude: that's too funny because people complain they are picky eaters yet they eat everything I throw at them even worms.

xtremeh18
Old Salt

Post by xtremeh18 »

LOL! Good observation... No I had a trick worm on there, I added the weight so it can sink but I guess he tore off the worm.

Return to “Freshwater Help and Info”