Koi in my neighborhood lake?

This area is for Boatless Fishing Freshwater Help and Info.
aha14750
Weekend Warrior

Koi in my neighborhood lake?

Post by aha14750 »

So I went out in my backyard to mess around this afternoon and I see three huge gold fish, koi looking things swimming in circles. I started throwing some bread at the and they looked intrested so I throw on a small hook and a dough ball and one takes it. Unfortunately I set the hook to hard and ripped the dough out of it's mouth. I think it had something to do with the cold front brought them in shallow.

I've never seen anything like these but I'm very interested in catching them. I've seen pictures of people catching them on a fly rod and was wondering if anyone had any experience targeting these. If anyone as any tips, baits tactics, any information on them it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

vetoe
Fisher

Re: Koi in my neighborhood lake?

Post by vetoe »

Are you sure they aren't Triploid Grass Carps? I know some associations and the county will stock lakes with those fish to keep the weed growth down...However Fishing the canals here in Miami-Dade, I have seen a few Koi swimming around. I've tried bread, but never had any luck catching them. If you got them to hit on dough, just keep trying....I gotta say though it sucks that people keep dumping their aquarium pets in our waterways. :(

lkatze2
Seasoned Fisher

Post by lkatze2 »

they could be midas cichlids

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

if they are koi i say leave them alone they bleed alot when you hook them hell they bleed when i dip net them in my pond really fragile fish
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

aha14750
Weekend Warrior

Post by aha14750 »

I'm pretty sure they were koi. Did not know they were so fragile though I'll most likely just leave them alone.

Return to “Freshwater Help and Info”