How to fish a Topwater Frog Lure

This area is for Boatless Fishing Freshwater Help and Info.
Green Tide
SHARKER

Re: How to fish a Topwater Frog Lure

Post by Green Tide »

I like watching the bass come out from under some coon tail moss for a frog or buzz bait.

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

migs24
Old Salt

Post by migs24 »

Thanks for the post Miguel. I'm sure some freshwater lurkers on the site will find it useful even if most will not post anything. Can't beat watching a top water getting smashed in any kind of fishing; fresh or salt.

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

The hardest thing to do when frog fishing is resisting the urge to set th hook on impack.... good frog tips there...
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

Thanks Miguelito......once again your posts are always over the edge informative and easy to understand.
Those old queen slave owners that wrote our Constitution 200 years ago were brilliant.

"Every four years Americans get the President they deserve".

Ricardo
Fisher

Post by Ricardo »

What frog lures do you use? And what size? I am asking because I have 4 of them and never caught anything on any of them :scratch:

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

Hands down, when fished properly frogs are responsible for MANY a fish 10 LBS and over. They are relatively easy prey and have plenty of meat. There is also nothing and I mean NOTHING more exciting that seeing a hawg laid up on the lillies SMACK the green off a frog as it skims across the surface.

-Swordfish

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

I saw people using those lures to catch gigantic snakehead in far east Asia specially in dry season when water level is low. I think the lure was floating. They used it like popper plug except for hoping between big leaves on top water. Those snake head was BIG fighter. They used 9" to 10" heavy duty bait caster with heavy line on river bank.

linh
KING MACKEREL

Post by linh »

I always bring a second rod if I'm fishing with frogs. If i miss the strike i will cast a zoom brush hog(my favorite) right at the same spot and most of the time they can't resist.

DragonFire
Weekend Warrior

Post by DragonFire »

It's best to wait till you feel the heavy pull to set the hook... In fact if you miss a couple times and the bass is still there... cast it into the same area and "Look away"...
yea that sound crazy... but it has work for a bunch of newies that I have taken out...than once they learn to feel the heavy pull... they learn when to set the hook..

I also suggest using some form of "Scent" to put on the frog...also cut a inch or two off the so-called legs hanging off the frog and IMHO add some small rattles tubes inside of the frog...
I fish late at nite and tend to like the black frogs...another thing if you are fishing inside of a lot of Cover!!! than go to heavy braid line... I use 50lb braid with no leader... Why?? well because
at time even a small 5lb bass will break you off in deep weeds with 20lb braid...and lord help you if you hook up to a Monster bass in heavy cover with light line... :nilly:

I also change the size of the frog... if they aren't hitting my main frog and just boiling up on it... I will go to a smaller frog.. and that seems to do the trick...

Oh this is Jettypark... I just decided to change my name since everything else of mine when poof .... LOL..yes I'm back...Baaahaaaahaaaaa. :mrgreen:

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Welcome back, Jetty.Another forum member and I were wondering where you went and thought you lost your account like some of us or you went ape or something...lol. good to see ya again. What's up with the new screen name...lol

Tommy check if this is Jetty....not enough smiles per sentence on this guy calming to be, Jetty. :biglaugh:

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

Rare wrote:Welcome back, Jetty.Another forum member and I were wondering where you went and thought you lost your account like some of us or you went ape or something...lol. good to see ya again. What's up with the new screen name...lol

Tommy check if this is Jetty....not enough smiles per sentence on this guy calming to be, Jetty. :biglaugh:

and how do you know all this chico? i don't think its him tho not enough smileys lol

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

Welcome back jetty
I thought that was an awfull lot of info all at one time but that is your style and accurate too.
Back when spider wire first came out I was all over it for buzz baits and worms on top at knight

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

DragonFire
Weekend Warrior

Post by DragonFire »

Yes it's me :D :D :D :D :D and I'm still fishing :happyfisherman: :happyfisherman: but lately in bed with a bad back :rambo: :rambo: :rambo:
but I have the right meds in my hand right now :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk:

and since I got a new account than I taught why not a new name :pistols: :pistols: :pistols: anyhoo i can at least go bass fishing with a bad back...
its not like they are that strong... :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Yep...It's Jetty :toast:

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

DragonFire wrote:Yes it's me :D :D :D :D :D and I'm still fishing :happyfisherman: :happyfisherman: but lately in bed with a bad back :rambo: :rambo: :rambo:
but I have the right meds in my hand right now :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk:

and since I got a new account than I taught why not a new name :pistols: :pistols: :pistols: anyhoo i can at least go bass fishing with a bad back...
its not like they are that strong... :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:
hey meng do not mix meds with :drunk: watch your back :toast:

Return to “Freshwater Help and Info”