'Exotic' freshwater fish near Juno/Jupiter

This area is for Boatless Fishing Freshwater Help and Info.
Albacized
Seasoned Fisher

'Exotic' freshwater fish near Juno/Jupiter

Post by Albacized »

Will be down on a four day excursion for what will mostly be a saltwater trip...but I wouldn't mind dabbling in freshwater as well...I know the peacocks are further south (southern Broward into Dade counties)...but are there any other types of freshwater exoticsin the Juno/Jupiter area (snakeheads, gar, etc) that's I won't find here in my home state of MA? Will have a spinning rod and fly rod with me, although the fly rod will be overkill for most freshwater fish (only bringing my 9 wt with me since the priority is on the saltwater side of things)

May make a drive down to try for some peacocks, but is dependent on whether I get my fill on the saltwater front (more locally in Juno)

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Re: 'Exotic' freshwater fish near Juno/Jupiter

Post by fishnfool73 »

Lake Ida for knife fish and sunshine bass along with ciclids.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

Albacized
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Albacized »

Thanks a lot

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

Not too many exotics here in Jupiter from what I've seen, thankfully. Most of the freshwater ponds and canals out west have mostly native fish (largemouths, bluegill, etc). Tilapia seems to be the most common exotic I've seen.

Like Fishnfool said, Lake Ida and Lake Osborne are your best bet for exotics in Palm Beach county.

Return to “Freshwater Help and Info”