Midas Chichilds and other exotic fish

This area is for Boatless Fishing Freshwater Help and Info.
lkatze2
Seasoned Fisher

Re: Midas Chichilds and other exotic fish

Post by lkatze2 »

i've seen a lot of them in the c100 canal, but never fished for them. i have eaten them before when i go to Colombia, they call it mojarra. different then our mojarra. Man, they are good, especially fried (thats how they cook it in Colombia)

cvstrat
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by cvstrat »

I used to live in an apt in Miami. About 5 months after I started living here I realized there was a canal that ran through the middle of the complex. I have no idea how I never saw it for so long despite parking in front of it.

Anyway it ended up having oscars, tilapia, cichlids, peacock, and largemouth bass. It blew my mind when I saw it. Turns out if you cast a very small rapala, like the original broken back gold/black one you can catch just about anything that swims in the canals down there.

Shouldn't be hard to catch them.

BenCantrell
Fisher

Post by BenCantrell »

We had good results using white bread for Midas cichlids. Tear off a chunk about 2 inches across, wet it with your tongue, and then form it around a #8 hook. Make sure the tip of the hook is showing through the bread. Toss it out with either no weight or just a small split shot. With how bright they are you should be able to sight fish them.

What other exotics do you want to target?

BenCantrell
Fisher

Post by BenCantrell »

miguel456 wrote:I release all of them since I fish freshwater just for sport.
I bet no one on this site would judge you for releasing a fish, but just to be safe I wouldn't say online that you released an exotic since it's against regulations. I think it's ridiculous that you could be fined for releasing a fish that 60 seconds earlier was swimming in the water. When you're posting online though, always best to play it safe.

http://www.myfwc.com/fishing/freshwater ... s/release/

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

Miguel, so long as it is exotics and not native, man feel free to give them truck loads!

LOL

-swordfish

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

All I can see is the tail, what is that a gold fish ?
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

Midias cichlid...
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

Return to “Freshwater Help and Info”