Topwater Frog Fishing

This area is for Boatless Fishing Freshwater Help and Info.
Post Reply
fishingdrummer
Fisher
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:50 pm

Topwater Frog Fishing

Post by fishingdrummer »

I have heard such great things about topwater frog fishing and thought I would try it out. I went over to Bass Pro and picked up a green Koppers Live Target Frog. I tried it out for the first time at C-14 yesterday and didn't catch anything. Does anybody have any tips on fishing a hollow body frog, recommendations on other frogs to get, or any good places in the Broward area to use one?

User avatar
PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA
Posts: 6785
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:52 pm
Location: 204 Miles From Long Key

Re: Topwater Frog Fishing

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

I've had my best luck with frogs in shallow water with heavy, thick cover. If you are fishing in the Coral Springs area, don't be surprised if you get a snakehead too.
Image

User avatar
migs24
Old Salt
Posts: 428
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:21 pm
Location: West Palm Beach FL
Contact:

Re: Topwater Frog Fishing

Post by migs24 »

Whatever you do, do not be discouraged.. I have caught some of my biggest bass on frogs. Fishing might not be as good with a frog since there has been a lot of rain and the water level has heightened. Like PP said, they do work much better in shallow areas where there is cover like lily pads, hydrilla, fallen trees, underneath docks, where a flat drops and depending on where you're fishing sometimes even shopping carts lol.. Basically shallow areas.. Remember that weather is also a big factor on using a top water. Obviously if its winter you'd have a rough time because of how lethargic the bass are and personally my frogs leave my box and back-pack all together during the winter months. My favorite frog would probably be the "scum frog." Makes plenty of noise on a quiet windless morning and hungry bass will usually bite. Hope this helps a bit and I'm sure there's a ton more people that are much more experienced that will chime in. Here's a pic of one that I caught a couple of years ago on a black scum frog with the green legs :thumleft: ..he was just shy of 12bs. Wish he would of ate a fat bluegill before taking my frog... Would of beat my own record..Good luck mang.

Image

fishingdrummer
Fisher
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:50 pm

Re: Topwater Frog Fishing

Post by fishingdrummer »

Thanks for all of the great info and that dwarfs my biggest bass!

Ridgehand
Weekend Warrior
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 4:29 pm

Re: Topwater Frog Fishing

Post by Ridgehand »

As the other wise posters said, cover. Anywhere a fish might ambush its prey. A real important thing to remember is to fish it slow. Painfully s-s-s-l-o-o-o-o-o-o-w. Also, vary your retrieve: hop, hop, pause and twitch for a few seconds. Or hop, pause for a few seconds, hop, hop, pause & twitch. Etc. A long, stout baitcasting rod (7'-7'6") with an extra fast tip to work the bait real subtle like, and at least 20 pound low stretch mono, or even better, braid to pull 'em out.

User avatar
Bluefish in ny
GOLIATH GROUPER
Posts: 1025
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:11 am
Location: Former SE - Now Sarasota

Re: Topwater Frog Fishing

Post by Bluefish in ny »

nice fish migs... 12lbs? The one in the pic?

Frogs are great! Best time to use them is during cloudy / pre-frontal conditions. Or early morning or evening.... Slingnasty and I used to walk banks at night, pocket full of frogs (I prefer Ribbits) and wear them out....

Migs... not calling u out at all... the fish below was just around 7 - caught on a frog by my buddy Jack

Image
My posts are just my opinion... Gathered from my research and my experiences in this passion we all share.. Dont hate if my opinion differs from yours... We all have opinions just like butt holes

User avatar
migs24
Old Salt
Posts: 428
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:21 pm
Location: West Palm Beach FL
Contact:

Re: Topwater Frog Fishing

Post by migs24 »

Hey Bluefish, it was shy* of 12lbs... the fish was weighed on a grimey little old scale that my friend had and by no means was it an official Igfa scale. The "scale" showed 11.5, 11.7 and kept bouncing (old as dirt) so chances are it could of been off. Matter of fact, it probably was off but that's the number it gave me so that's what I go by. And by no means would I exaggerate on a fish I'm not that kind of a person and have no reason to. Sorry didn't mean to cause any kind of stir.

User avatar
Bluefish in ny
GOLIATH GROUPER
Posts: 1025
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:11 am
Location: Former SE - Now Sarasota

Re: Topwater Frog Fishing

Post by Bluefish in ny »

No stir at all!!!!! Again nice fish!!!! Fun as heck on topwater!!!! The day in the pic, it was cloudy / breezy... I think we landed over 30 fish that day all on frogs
My posts are just my opinion... Gathered from my research and my experiences in this passion we all share.. Dont hate if my opinion differs from yours... We all have opinions just like butt holes

Bionic
Weekend Warrior
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:26 pm

Re: Topwater Frog Fishing

Post by Bionic »

What's a frog and this topwater thing??? never did that kind of fishing....is it any good :scratch:

On a serious note. Scum Frogs are a go to. Next I'd say ribbits, horny toads, and Rage toads to round out the list. I like the horny toads when the fish are in the mood for a more suddle presentation.

P.S. bluefish sorry I haven't been in touch. I went bac to school so life has been hectic. We have a redfish tournament this Saturday but I want to plan a trip. Scott and I got 25 last time and all good ones.

User avatar
Bluefish in ny
GOLIATH GROUPER
Posts: 1025
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:11 am
Location: Former SE - Now Sarasota

Re: Topwater Frog Fishing

Post by Bluefish in ny »

Scott... Anytime!!!! 25? damn!
My posts are just my opinion... Gathered from my research and my experiences in this passion we all share.. Dont hate if my opinion differs from yours... We all have opinions just like butt holes

fishingdrummer
Fisher
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:50 pm

Re: Topwater Frog Fishing

Post by fishingdrummer »

went to C-14 again yesterday. i was using the live target frog and only had two nice hits. however both of them got off. I would get the hit, wait a couple seconds, set the hook, and reel for a few seconds and then the line would go slack. are you supposed to really jam the rod back when you set the hook with a frog? I am also disappointed in the durability of the Koppers Live Target frog. I have only used it twice and have not even caught anything yet and it already has multiple cuts in it. the weight also looks like it is starting to come out. I would expect a little more from a ten dollar lure.

cvstrat
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"
Posts: 442
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:39 pm

Re: Topwater Frog Fishing

Post by cvstrat »

It's like fishing a fluke almost. If you set the hook when you see the strike that's way too early. If you wait too long they'll let go. It sounds like you have the idea right, you just gotta keep practicing. Don't be afraid to give a decent hookset but don't try to rip their heads off. With a stout rod, good timing, and a decent hookset it'll happen soon enough.

Honestly as we all know it doesn't matter how perfectly you play your hand sometimes the fish just get off the hook.

fishingdrummer
Fisher
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:50 pm

Re: Topwater Frog Fishing

Post by fishingdrummer »

Today on my way home from school i noticed that there was a lot of thick algae on top of the water at the end of a canal that runs behind my neighborhood. i figured i would grab my frog a head over there with my dad. I'm glad i did because i finally caught a bass on the frog! :cheers: the first fish i had on i lost and then on the next cast i pulled in a big snakehead. had about six hits in all but only caught those two fish.
IMG_2391.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post Reply

Return to “Freshwater Help and Info”