Tamiami Trail 8 st. U.S41

This area is for your Freshwater Reports for Florida.
letzgofishing
Fisher

Tamiami Trail 8 st. U.S41

Post by letzgofishing »

has anyone fished the Tamiami Trail going east to Naples? i heard there is a lot of snook, Tarpons and other exotic fishes along the canals. I am heading down that way in a couple of days, does anybody know of a good spot to fish in the banks? I was told anything pass Opechee is Fish on!! Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Backwoods123
Old Salt

Re: Tamiami Trail 8 st. U.S41

Post by Backwoods123 »

There are snook and tarpon all along there.... There's a spillways that hold a lot I snook and redfish... Go to YouTube or Google and type in sportsmans adventures on the tamiami trail ... Capt Rick Murphy did a show out there on land and was slaying the snook

Leadslinger
Old Salt

Post by Leadslinger »

You heard correctly. Seagrape drive, Everglades City bridge (fish underneath on the high falling), and around Port of the Islands. Im travelling today but PM me if you want more info about where

We were going out grouper fishing sunday morning and I got to the boat early to watch for tarpon in the river...THICK!

lkatze2
Seasoned Fisher

Post by lkatze2 »

fish all of the small/tiny bridges on 41 starting west of highway 29.. Fish all the way to the port of the islands bridge and wier. pull your car over to the side as far as possible and watch for cars as they whiz bye. during the day you will mostly catch gar and exotics, but at night with persistance you stand a chance of catching snook under the bridges. Port of the islands has small tarpon and snook and snappers on the saltwater side, you can catch bass on the freshwater side of the wier.

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

They take flies readily too btw... Just a hint! BRING BUG SPRAY or you WILL be SORRY!

-Swordfish

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

Backwoods123 wrote:There are snook and tarpon all along there.... There's a spillways that hold a lot I snook and redfish... Go to YouTube or Google and type in sportsmans adventures on the tamiami trail ... Capt Rick Murphy did a show out there on land and was slaying the snook
I saw that show :toast: .The mosquitoes must be biting good too lol if you go take something for the little vampires ...

letzgofishing
Fisher

Post by letzgofishing »

awesome !!! great info guys, ill be heading down there this weekend and ill post my catches if i get lucky lol

letzgofishing
Fisher

Post by letzgofishing »

miguel456 wrote:The area near the floodgates on the intersection of Tamiami Trail and Krome Avenue hold decent numbers of freshwater tarpon and snook.Use Google earth and you will find it.Use mayan chichilds and spotted tilapia for bait.
Thanks brotha! i see you from Miami just like me. and trust me, i am adventuring all over the places from Everglades Holiday park to Sawgrass recreational park, homestead and i am most definitely using google earth for potential some spots.. lol ..

joenofishhere
Seasoned Fisher

Post by joenofishhere »

lkatze2 wrote:fish all of the small/tiny bridges on 41 starting west of highway 29.. Fish all the way to the port of the islands bridge and wier. pull your car over to the side as far as possible and watch for cars as they whiz bye. during the day you will mostly catch gar and exotics, but at night with persistance you stand a chance of catching snook under the bridges. Port of the islands has small tarpon and snook and snappers on the saltwater side, you can catch bass on the freshwater side of the wier.
I'd say fish all the way to the turn off to Goodland/Marco if you can. Water is saltier west of POI. Also I always throw dark colored jerkbaits or flies and do pretty well on snook and tarpon. If the water is high the fish can get further back in the sticks though, I prefer to fish the trail during the cooler windier months.
Walk slow, and carry a big Snook.

Leadslinger
Old Salt

Post by Leadslinger »

lkatze2 wrote:fish all of the small/tiny bridges on 41 starting west of highway 29.. Fish all the way to the port of the islands bridge and wier. pull your car over to the side as far as possible and watch for cars as they whiz bye. during the day you will mostly catch gar and exotics, but at night with persistance you stand a chance of catching snook under the bridges. Port of the islands has small tarpon and snook and snappers on the saltwater side, you can catch bass on the freshwater side of the wier.
I'll piggy back on this. Don't park on 41! There is a parking area on the west side of the bridge at the port. You can also pick up some grouper in that canal in the cooler months.

Throw a live pinfish around the bridge pilings at the port or the bridge heading into Everglades...wait for the thump eatpop

If you want bigger tarpon then fish the Barron in Everglades, cut mullet early in the morning on the falling tide.

lkatze2
Seasoned Fisher

Post by lkatze2 »

hey leadslinger, thanks for the tip on the grouper at the port of the islands...i never realized there were grouper in there. now i know what might have been breaking me off at the bottom of the weir. i will have to try for them this coming winter.

Return to “Freshwater Florida Reports”