Peacocks

This area is for your Freshwater Reports for Florida.
Post Reply
User avatar
Baitfish
Seasoned Fisher
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:47 am
Location: Miami

Peacocks

Post by Baitfish »

I slipped away from work early enough on Wednesday to get down to the canal and pick off a few peas. It was late in the day so the bite was slow, but I still got five. Three in the 12-14" slot with a couple of dinks.

This weekend, I wanted to try again for some of the jack action from Monday, but the weather did not permit. I don't know if the surf lived up to the forecast, but 15-20 mph wind and 3-5' waves are not worth the drive. I decided to go in search of Peacocks at some new spots I've been eyeballin'. First I tried a small quarry lake in the middle of a local business park. Most of it is fenced, but one small spot has a nice cove and convenient parking. First glance showed no signs of life, but a friskey shiner had everyone coming out for a look. A little work got a small largemouth and a nice Peacock. There was a much nicer pea that I just couldn't get to bite. Things got slow, so on to the next spot. Google Earth showed a promising canal behind the local Lowes. And nice it was. Plenty of parking at the canal's edge, lots of trees for shade and lots of cover for fish. The canals are pretty low now and the water is clear after the rain and this seemed to have the fish a little wary, but I bagged two more here. After it slowed down at the Lowes canal, I decided to finish the day at my usual spot. It was getting late and the bite had been slow anyways, so I wasn't expecting too much. My hot spot wasn't as frantic as it usually is, but I still bagged another five with two very nice 17 inchers.

These are the five from Wednesday.

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

These are the 8 from today.

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Fishing is not a matter of life or death, It's much more important than that.

BIohazard685
Fisher
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:22 am

Re: Peacocks

Post by BIohazard685 »

Nice catch!

The wind has been brutal the past couple of days.

User avatar
Swordslayer71
Seasoned Fisher
Posts: 262
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:36 pm
Location: Summerland Key, Fl

Re: Peacocks

Post by Swordslayer71 »

I think you definitely have peacocks dialed in. :toast:
Hold Fast

User avatar
bigseank22
Seasoned Fisher
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 6:36 pm
Location: Homestead

Re: Peacocks

Post by bigseank22 »

what have u been catching those on?
Image

User avatar
sepaik
KING MACKEREL
Posts: 832
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:21 pm
Location: Hollywood Florida

Re: Peacocks

Post by sepaik »

Nice job! :cheers:
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

User avatar
Baitfish
Seasoned Fisher
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:47 am
Location: Miami

Re: Peacocks

Post by Baitfish »

bigseank22 wrote:what have u been catching those on?
Any artificial minnow can entice a strike, but for a sure thing, nothing beats a bucket of shiners.
Fishing is not a matter of life or death, It's much more important than that.

Post Reply

Return to “Freshwater Florida Reports”