brian piccolo park snook and tarpon

This area is for your Freshwater Reports for Florida.
fshboy007
Fisher

brian piccolo park snook and tarpon

Post by fshboy007 »

anyone ever fish the back of brian P. park. theres a dock in the back . heard there are some nice snook and poon runnin around there

BigNiner19
Seasoned Fisher

Post by BigNiner19 »

no, never been....but I too have heard the same.
Snook Master

Wfdmedic770
Fisher

Re: brian piccolo park snook and tarpon

Post by Wfdmedic770 »

Hey guys I'm new here and I know this post is old but yes there are tarpon and snook there as well as big peacock. I fly fish so I dont know what bait to suggest. Be careful though there is a resident 12 foot gator. He doesn't bother you but krep your eye on him. He usually sunbathes across the bank from where you fish. Park by the skatepark and walk to the back where the canal is, follow the sidewalk to the right all the way to the end

Surfcaster
Fisher

Post by Surfcaster »

If you ever want some company, I would gladly meet you there. I usually fly fish the surf but would like to try freshwater.

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

I'm glad I didn't know that when I was working for the Broward county park systeM. I had a hard enough time trying to stay off that dock. I never did figure out its source of water

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

1203buffalo
Fisher

Post by 1203buffalo »

Wfdmedic770 wrote:Hey guys I'm new here and I know this post is old but yes there are tarpon and snook there as well as big peacock. I fly fish so I dont know what bait to suggest. Be careful though there is a resident 12 foot gator. He doesn't bother you but krep your eye on him. He usually sunbathes across the bank from where you fish. Park by the skatepark and walk to the back where the canal is, follow the sidewalk to the right all the way to the end
I am doing some scouting before my annual trip to boca raton to see my parents and fish for a week. I happened upon this post and it confused me? I was wondering if someone could explain how there could be tarpon or snook in a canal by brian piccolo park when I see no way for its canal to connect to salt water? in fact it barely looks like canals by there more like lakes? does it connect underground? any info or other tips on where to go fishing within a couple hours of boca raton would be awesome! its kind of overwhelming trying to find spots with google maps there is so much water in florida!!! then you start driving to spots and realize 90% you can't even get to because there private:(

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

There are many mysteries in South Florida, including the Coral Castle...

Many many years ago the fresh and salt water boundries were separated by Locks, there are remnants of one in the New River off of 595 at Davie Rd. extension and another in the C11 canal at near University and Griffin roads, long before the pup station and gates that are now in place... It is suspected that many salt water species swam in through the locls and perhaps the pumps and gates that still exist, some species like SnooK and Tarpon adapt and tolerate brackish and full on fresh water... there is alos the bird carying fosh and dropping them, asn well ad evolotuion and natural causes, and some believe in the 7day theory or the big bang, not to mention flooding moving waters in hurricanes and big storms.

If you are looking at GE trying to figure it all out you need to go back many many years prior to the development of South Florida, when the Tequesta Indians moved Westward.

There are many many far better places to fish closer to Boca than making a long drive down to a place like Brian Picallo park thinking you be able to simply drop a line and the Tarpon and Snook will jump on the hook. There is a small body of water inside Biran Picallo park that does hold fish however, and some of them are Snook and/or Tarpon. That particular water way has canals that used to and still may connect underground via pipes to another canal along Stirling road that years ago was burried, that connects to another canal that runs along 106th avenue, also connecting to several more canals along the way and there is a sign at 106th & Stirling that says follow this waterway to the Everglades... It connects to that burried canal, then also connects to the C11 canal that also connects to the New River which connects to the Intracoastal on the East end through a few gates and pumps and the Everglades on the West end... Along the way the New river connects to a canal by Markham park that runs N. up to more gates and pumps that connect to more canals further North along the Sawgrass expressway, and eventually to more canals that connect to more canals that connect through more gates and pumps that connect through Margate and on out near Palm Aire through to more gates and pumps that connect to the Intracoastal to the East, and eventually spreading like spider veins to the Hillsbourough waterways..... so if you stand on the dock or canal bank in Boca you may see the same fish.
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

1203buffalo
Fisher

Post by 1203buffalo »

I really appreciate you taking the time to respond to me and also giving me such and in depth and informative reply. I would love to not drive as far as Brian Piccolo park in search of fresh or brackish tarpon or Snook mixed in with the bass I know. If you have any suggestions on areas or canals closer to boca it would be much appreciated! I am not ask for specific spots I am not trying to steal anyone's fishing holes just trying to have my most poductive yearly trip in florida so far. I am just always trying to break my PB of all my species I would love to break my 8.5# PB bass record too so any info on a shore spot or area for that would be awesome too.
Its just really hard trying to figure out where in florida to fish when your only there once a year and the largest source of information on where to go is google earth. I end up marking spots three hours above and below boca even driving down alligator alley and stopping to fish at fishy spots along the way. The only thing is it is extremely overwhelming trying to find spots on google earth in south florida to fish as there is more water it seems than land and at least 50% is not fishable either private or not accessible from shore. Thanks again for your last response and any future response! tight lines! :reeling: :reeling:

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

You could try Tradewinds park up close to Boca... quite a bit of walkable shoreline... hold Peacocks and LM bass among other stuff. I heard once someoen caught a Snakehead in there.

Lake Ida (or Lake Osborne by Lake Worth), but that mostly requires some sort of boat, canoe, SUP or kayak, some walkable shorelines. holds all kinds of stuff. LM & Peacock, plus Sunshine (hybrid striped bass) Klown Knife fish and an assortment of Ciclids, Bream, and Oscar.

There is a famous spillway up in Boca that if the water is flowing is a Snook hangout, has parking and docks for casting right into the flowi on both sides... Lots of people go there its a sight to see in Snook season if the water is flowing, lots of tangled lines, but if you go with the flow and simply cast when its your turn it works out well.

That Palm Aire spillway, just north and West of McNabb & Powerline roads.. if the water is flowing Tarpon and Snook hang out there.. check GE there are places you can park and walk quite a bit of shoreline there.. it also holds Peacock Bass and a population of big Blue Talipia.
The West edn of that same waterway, runs along SouthGate Blvd.. the stretch within walking distans of Sawgrass expressway if the watre is moving holds all kinds of fish including Tarpon... all along that c-14 canal there are a few boat ramps and places you can park and walk.. goo canal system for Snakehead find the small skanky tributary canals.
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

1203buffalo
Fisher

Post by 1203buffalo »

krash wrote:You could try Tradewinds park up close to Boca... quite a bit of walkable shoreline... hold Peacocks and LM bass among other stuff. I heard once someoen caught a Snakehead in there.

Lake Ida (or Lake Osborne by Lake Worth), but that mostly requires some sort of boat, canoe, SUP or kayak, some walkable shorelines. holds all kinds of stuff. LM & Peacock, plus Sunshine (hybrid striped bass) Klown Knife fish and an assortment of Ciclids, Bream, and Oscar.

There is a famous spillway up in Boca that if the water is flowing is a Snook hangout, has parking and docks for casting right into the flowi on both sides... Lots of people go there its a sight to see in Snook season if the water is flowing, lots of tangled lines, but if you go with the flow and simply cast when its your turn it works out well.

That Palm Aire spillway, just north and West of McNabb & Powerline roads.. if the water is flowing Tarpon and Snook hang out there.. check GE there are places you can park and walk quite a bit of shoreline there.. it also holds Peacock Bass and a population of big Blue Talipia.
The West edn of that same waterway, runs along SouthGate Blvd.. the stretch within walking distans of Sawgrass expressway if the watre is moving holds all kinds of fish including Tarpon... all along that c-14 canal there are a few boat ramps and places you can park and walk.. goo canal system for Snakehead find the small skanky tributary canals.
Thanks a lot for all the ideas I had found some of the places you mentioned in my research but others I had no idea about. It means a lot that you would take the time to give me some ideas. If your interested in fishing with me let me know I am free every day I mentioned except for thurs. I am taking my dad on an Okeechobee charter. He can't handle waves so he won't go in the ocean. He is not a big fisherman but its more about spending time with him. I actually watched a video of a guy I know from you tube catching a giant snook in one of the places you mentioned here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h95Vhycq1w&t=8s. He was using live bait and I wouldn't use live bait but it was definitely going to be a place I try to find! Thanks again!

Sampson
Fisher

Post by Sampson »

How did you make out on your trip?

1203buffalo
Fisher

Post by 1203buffalo »

Fishing was tougher than I ever remember it being while visiting my parents. I did my okeechobee trip the first day I got down there a day late since there was a snow storm in buffalo and my flight was cancelled. The guide told me that there was no point in using artificials with the cold front and drove two minutes from the launch where he wanted me to throw shinersat a weed mat (which cost 20 dollars a dozen!!!) My dad and I caught some bass and it was fine for awhile but I cut my trip in half because thats not what I came to do I would have rather spent half the day throwing artificials and looking for active fish and not caught any than throw a bobber at a weed mat.
then tried to find the spot in this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h95Vhycq1w&t=32s) with no luck. It says c-15 canal but i went all up and down it trying to find this spot? I know you hadn't had rain so it probably wouldn't have mattered but I still wanted to find it. I thought the most likely spot would be at the eastern end of it where it opens up into the bay or intercoastal or whatever. I assumed when people where talking about snook at the water control structure they meant BELOW it on the ocean side. This video if it is the c-15 is definitely not at the eastern end of c-15 there are tons of buildings and houses and none in this video. I thought maybe it could have been where c-15 meets the canal that goes along route 441 but there was construction there and I didn't get to get a close look. That would mean the fish where all the way up the canal and I didn't know if people meant the snook were up that far. I never saw a snook or tarpon on one of the canals up that far? Guess its possible though. I fished a few places along c-15 caught a few bass and had a peacock hit but where that was the canal sides were steep and it was bothering my bad knee just to stand there so I didn't stay long. fished some business park ponds on the weekend managed a 5#er. tried to find the canal where I watched a vid of a guy catching a 9+ pound clown knife fish from shore I know it had to be connected to lake ida but I couldn't find anything that looked similar. fished the next parallel canal above c-15 with no luck. I fished some spots I had done well in the past along the el rio trail one had a bunch of bass but all small the other parts I got skunked. I caught one along the canal along 441. I went to tradewinds park because so many people mentioned it here and other sites but if there are fish there the were hiding I walked the shoreline and I only saw one bass about 5 inch the whole time I walked and no bites. I saw some bass in the one lake at the end of the park but you could tell they were hip to artificials swam away from my lure. I fished the g-08 canal I did really well there last year saw many fish caught a bunch of bass and a ton of snakeheads I even saw some with babies I swear were over 10# I was excited to get back there fished there two days and got skunked!? My last day I on a whim stopped at some business park in broward and fished two ponds one said no fishing the other said nothing I caught about 25 bass 3 snakeheads and a cichlid which saved the day for me. oh I fished some other park in boca too where I had caught fish before but I didn't even get a bite water looked super stained and I don't remember all the foliage around the lake being dead like it was at all the places? Maybe I just happened to come at a different time than I normally do? or the weather was different? I know I have come in jan. feb. may. Maybe I don't normally come in march? I just really expected that g-08 to produce snakeheads they were so thick last time I just had to throw a plastic almost onshore across the canal and they were sitting there I caught a ton. Maybe its later in the season they do that? or when the water warms up? not sure because the three I caught in the little pond were exactly like that I basically dropped it on there heads. My parents want me to come back soon maybe I will make this year a two trip year. any suggestions?

1203buffalo
Fisher

Post by 1203buffalo »

nevermind I found where that snook was caught I was looking at the wrong canal

Sampson
Fisher

Post by Sampson »

That canal in the video is at the very west end of Atlantic Ave in Coral Springs. They just built a parking lot out there at the trailhead so what once was a great fishing spot that didn't see a lot of pressure is now a spot that gets heavily fished on a daily basis. And Tradewinds used to be a great spot but too many people fish there now so it's hit or miss.

That sucks you got skunked at so many spots. I wish I'd seen your post earlier, I could've given you some better spots to fish. If you want, send me a PM and we can exchange emails and the next time you come to Florida I'll try to help you out.

GatorJack67
Fisher

Post by GatorJack67 »

Where was the business park in Broward where you caught all the bass?

Return to “Freshwater Florida Reports”