Some positive news for once

This area is all about things that can affect the Boatless-Land Fisherman as to State and Local Regulations, Rules that pertain to areas that we may fish and enviromental issues that we need to get involved in. Please read these posts and get invovled. We are stonger in Numbers.
WhoDey
KING MACKEREL

Some positive news for once

Post by WhoDey »

Restoration of the Glades can only be a good thing, unless I am missing some underlying government motives here.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/06/24/everglades/index.html

MoJo
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by MoJo »

Heheh while there restoring they will discover black gold "oil" :wink:

onshore
Seasoned Fisher

Post by onshore »

Kind of makes me proud to be a Floridian, albeit a new one. At least the state has lived up well beyond it's agreed participation in the restoration - especially with most federal funds, though approved by Congress, are still a no show.
Bill
Beach & Bay Inspector

PBFisher
Seasoned Fisher

Re: Some positive news for once

Post by PBFisher »

This is the best news I've heard in the 6 years I've lived in Florida. For many years South Florida Water Management District has been pumping water out of Lake Okeechobee, sending that water into the Atlantic Ocean and the Gulf of Mexico. The consequences were:
1. Drying up the Everglades.
2. Drawing down the water levels in the aquifers.
3. Nourishing the Red and Green tides.
4. Killing the estuaries where our fishing habitat begins.
5. Many other bad things.

BUT the Water District has 75 days to negotiate a deal with Florida Crystals (sugar company) or this will all fall apart.

Return to “Regulations, Rules, Enviromental Issues”