VIEW ALL NEW POSTS HERE - Click Here

AND YALL THINK COMMERICAL FISHING IS THE PROBLEM (CLUE )

[ View new posts ]

This area is all about things that can affect the Boatless-Land Fisherman as to State and Local Regulations, Rules that pertain to areas that we may fish and enviromental issues that we need to get involved in. Please read these posts and get invovled. We are stonger in Numbers.

AND YALL THINK COMMERICAL FISHING IS THE PROBLEM (CLUE )

Postby diggin4grouper » Fri May 23, 2008 3:22 pm

NOT COMMERICAL FISHERMEN ...................................................

GET A CLUE HERE......................................................................

AND DONT WORRIE I HAVE SENT THESE PICTURES AND THE PICTURES OF THIS IDIOTS BOAT NUMBERS AND TRUCK TAG TO FWC
diggin4grouper
KING MACKEREL

Postby snakehead terror » Fri May 23, 2008 3:41 pm

8) these are commercial fisherman
BEAST
snapperkiller
snakehead terror
GOLIATH GROUPER

Postby diggin4grouper » Fri May 23, 2008 3:52 pm

snapper yes and they are harvesting them not throwing them on the side of the road , if your not going to keep it why catch it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
diggin4grouper
KING MACKEREL

Postby huck » Fri May 23, 2008 4:05 pm

hey diggin,

I believe you are making a very valid point - IF your point is:

We all need to play the role of conservationists if we want our children and theirs to pursue this great hobby.

It is up to every individual to police themsemvles. There is NO way that recreational fisherman, in general, have done as much damage as commercial fishing vessels. It just defies logic. However, every little bit counts and all of us ought to be vigilant and conscientious in our endeavours.

BUT I think the manner that you do it in alienates others.

Just a thought.

Huck
huck
Fisher

Postby james380 » Fri May 23, 2008 4:07 pm

Well said, Huck.
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
- Charlton Heston
"Truth is treason in an empire of lies." - Ron Paul
In the beginning god created Evolution.
james380
........POST HO........... "I post for FREE"

Postby rsieminski » Fri May 23, 2008 6:32 pm

Why would they do that? :evil:
rsieminski
Seasoned Fisher

Postby diggin4grouper » Fri May 23, 2008 7:19 pm

Rijkaard

why is it that the photos and the grapics are from over seas and has nothing to do with the usa ???

commerical fishermen in the state of florida do not fish like this .ie the graphic that you posted for the long lines

1 the main line is 90 feet down and has one high flyer at one end and a radio bouie at the other

2 the line is way out of reach of birds , if the birds could get to it, it wouldnt be cost effective to have the birds get it and eat the bait .

3 the pic of the turtle with the line on it fliper is how it happen and most are able to get there self undone the majority of all turtles are still alive and released un harmed

the shark in the pic is yet again over sea and has nothing to do with the us of a

the whales , hummmm usa doesnt hunt whales any more not since the 50's

so come up will something from the us of a and i might just hear ya out !!!
diggin4grouper
KING MACKEREL

Postby BoatlessFisherman » Fri May 23, 2008 7:21 pm

my 02 cent

I think most when referring to Comm as bad it is Bycatch and it is just dumped back into the water.

take one shrimp boat how many pounds of bycatch do they dump each trip out ?

now put all the Comm boats in florida together how many pounds?

Now how many pounds of fish does the average rec fisher catch if any per trip?

Anyone want to search out these numbers and post I would like to see.
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.
BoatlessFisherman
Fisherman - Owner - Administrator

Postby MoJo » Fri May 23, 2008 7:29 pm

diggin4grouper wrote:Rijkaard

why is it that the photos and the grapics are from over seas and has nothing to do with the usa ???

commerical fishermen in the state of florida do not fish like this .ie the graphic that you posted for the long lines

1 the main line is 90 feet down and has one high flyer at one end and a radio bouie at the other

2 the line is way out of reach of birds , if the birds could get to it, it wouldnt be cost effective to have the birds get it and eat the bait .

3 the pic of the turtle with the line on it fliper is how it happen and most are able to get there self undone the majority of all turtles are still alive and released un harmed

the shark in the pic is yet again over sea and has nothing to do with the us of a

This post by you has totaly convinced me that you are a commercial fisherman or representing them.

I Quote ""1 the main line is 90 feet down and has one high flyer at one end and a radio bouie at the other ""

90 feet ehh? radio bouy ehhh? intresting knowledge....
MoJo
GOLIATH GROUPER

Postby diggin4grouper » Fri May 23, 2008 7:37 pm

BoatlessFisherman wrote:my 02 cent

I think most when referring to Comm as bad it is Bycatch and it is just dumped back into the water.

i have worked on shrimpboats and do you know what they bycatch is

the by catch is as follows grunts, crokers, spots , squid , starfish , and crabs now the flonder that is caught is of leagal size thats where you get your flounder from long jhon silvers ect .

but out of 5 lbs of what come out of the net there is 1 to 2 lbs of shrimp

heres and artice for yall .....................

They are there almost every morning that I head offshore. They anchor up just after dawn and begin cleaning their decks and holds of by-catch and trash fish. “They” are the shrimp boats that spend the night dragging their nets for pink gold. By night they work the nets, and by day they rest and clean.
Dealing with By-Catch
The by-catch from their nets often litters the deck and holds, and it must be done away with to keep the catch pure. So the morning ritual includes sweeping and hosing down the decks, and washing all the by-catch overboard. The dead fish float and sink slowly forming a huge chum line in the current behind the shrimp boat. When more than one boat is anchored in the area, several chum lines exist, and the smart fisherman will try to get anchored up behind the shrimper, right in the chum.
Fishing the Slick
Some of the best fishing I have ever encountered was in a shrimper slick. Slicks result from the oils and juices of the by-catch that run down current from teh shrimp boat. We were anchored about 50 yards from the stern of the shrimper, and tarpon were rolling everywhere. one and two-pound, crokers were drifting in the chum line, and a school of about fifty tarpon were making lazy rolls as they inhaled the trout, one by one.
Fixing the Bait
We picked up several of these dead crokers, and found that with a hook in them, they began to sink. So out came the hypodermic, and we injected air into the dead fish. Then we simply let the bait drift back on top of the water until a tarpon ate it. And they ate every one we put back there.
Catching Fish
These were no world record fish, but they weren’t juveniles either. Most of them were in the seventy-five to one hundred pound rage, and their jumping ability was unmatched. We probably hooked up to no less than thirty of them by eleven in the morning, and actually brought about ten boatside for a release.
Getting Started
If you see a shrimper anchored up and a deck hand or two hosing the deck down, ease over their direction. If they are still awake, they will even sell you some shrimp. Five dollars will get you more chum and bait shrimp than you can use in two trips. A double sawbuck gets you enough eating shrimp for a fine dinner for a lot of people.

Cautions
Don’t anchor too close, though. After all these guys have been up all night and they are trying to get some sleep. The last thing they need is a noisy boat anchored at their back door.

Bottom Line
Once you have anchored, set your free lined baits in the chum, and hold on: tarpon on top, mutton snapper on the bottom, and every other conceivable fish in between. It will probably be the most memorable trip you have ever had!
diggin4grouper
KING MACKEREL

Postby MoJo » Fri May 23, 2008 7:41 pm

Your beating a dead horse.....
MoJo
GOLIATH GROUPER

Postby diggin4grouper » Fri May 23, 2008 7:45 pm

mojo thanks for being the horse im beating
diggin4grouper
KING MACKEREL

Postby MoJo » Fri May 23, 2008 9:08 pm

MoJo
GOLIATH GROUPER

Postby diggin4grouper » Sat May 24, 2008 12:02 am

mojo once again you have showed your Ignorance and just in case you need the def here ya gooooooo

Ignorance is the condition of being uninformed or uneducated, lacking knowledge or information.

and fyi for the rest of you

state of florida spl cards issued this year 7532
state of florida rec fishing license issued over 500,000.

so do the math on that
diggin4grouper
KING MACKEREL

Postby islandflyfisher » Sat May 24, 2008 1:34 am

So you are blaming rec fishermen for all the problems we have?

Let's start with your pics.

2 pics of a dolphin carcus - meaning somebody ate that meat. What's wrong with that?

2 pics of dead, uncleaned carcus - It sucks, but them majority of anglers do not do this. I hate seeing this too.

2 pics of fish on the side of the road - Again, it sucks, but you act as if all of us decide that we would rather dump our catch than eat or release it. Like they said on the other forum, maybe somebody was cleaning there fish and realized that they had gone bad. Or maybe this is just one - singular, as in not all rec fisherman - idiot.
Plus the pic is 3 years old.
mage Exif
Date Time = 2004-01-07 23:26:55
Date Time Original = 2004-01-07 23:26:55
Date Time Digitized = 2004-01-07 23:26:55

Not all rec anglers are perfect, and I agree that many need to be educated, but how can you be so blind as to not see the effects that commercial fishermen have?
islandflyfisher
KING MACKEREL

Postby capttom1961 » Sat May 24, 2008 8:10 am

MoJo wrote:
diggin4grouper wrote:Rijkaard

This post by you has totaly convinced me that you are a commercial fisherman or representing them.

I Quote ""1 the main line is 90 feet down and has one high flyer at one end and a radio bouie at the other ""

90 feet ehh? radio bouy ehhh? intresting knowledge....
you make it sound like being a commercial fisherman is a bad thing....??
capttom1961
Fisher

Postby MoJo » Sat May 24, 2008 8:48 am

It is :idea:

I would love to go to publix and not see any fish there.
MoJo
GOLIATH GROUPER

Postby huck » Sat May 24, 2008 9:21 am

A few hard numbers for all to see.

Wasted fishery resources: discarded by-catch in the USA -- FISH and FISHERIES , 2005, 6, 350–361 [only a couple of years old]

A GREAT article discussing the study linked above.

A study coming out this month in the scientific journal Fish and Fisheries documents the shrimping industry as the major contributor to commercial by-catch. In particular, the Gulf of Mexico shrimping industry is, according to the study, the major contributor to the 28% total by-catch waste in the commercial fishing industry.

quote from article [MUST READ]

The key to future food supplies from viable fish stocks is in the hands of each and every one of us. Commercial and recreational anglers alike need to put away their selfish motives and work together to insure the future of fishing. If we do that, we can all share a resource with a shared responsibility for conserving that resource.

Harrington, J.M., R.A. Myers and A.A. Rosenberg, 2005, "Wasted fishery resources: discarded by-catch in the USA," Fish and Fisheries 6(4): 350-362.

http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/ab ... 05.00201.x

Good study. Analyzes data for all fisheries and their bycatch [finfish and inverts].
Some figures to think about from this article.

very high discard to landing ratio of shrimp fisheries, at 2.95 for the east coast of the U.S. and as high as 4.56 for the Gulf of Mexico shrimp fleet

Hall, S. J. and B. M. Mainprize, 2005, “Managing by-catch and discards: how much progress are we making and how can we do better?” Fish and Fisheries, 6 (2): 134-155.

http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/ab ... 05.00183.x

Another great study discussing what we all CAN do. As opposed to wasting time seeking a scapegoat.

The last two studies posted here are def. worth looking at. Unfortunately I am unable to copy and paste the tables and charts [it's protected]. You do have to pay to view the articles but they are worth the read.

One a personal note,

I am NOT against commercial fishing. I have a lot of respect for commercial fisherman, just as I do for our farmers - they both provide me with foods that I love to eat. This is not meant to defend recreational fishermen either. I will search out relevant published information on recreation fisherman and make another post.

My only request, instead of us just pointing fingers, posting MEANINGLESS pictures [that's propoganda folks] let's stick to published information in peer-reviewed journals. This may not be everyones cup of tea but atleast they are accurate numbers that mean something.

Cheers,
Huck
huck
Fisher

Postby snakehead terror » Sat May 24, 2008 11:44 am

diggin4grouper wrote:

the by catch is as follows grunts, crokers, spots , squid , starfish , and crabs now the flonder that is caught is of leagal size thats where you get your flounder from long jhon silvers ect .

So you honestly think that there are no young sportfish caught?
And flounder only legal size? :lol: :roll:
BEAST
snapperkiller
snakehead terror
GOLIATH GROUPER

Postby BoatlessFisherman » Sat May 24, 2008 6:21 pm

Huck, Thanks for the informative post and i will read when I have time over the weekend.

I agree that all must work together to make a difference
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.
BoatlessFisherman
Fisherman - Owner - Administrator

Postby diggin4grouper » Sun May 25, 2008 2:59 am

snapperkiller wrote:
diggin4grouper wrote:

So you honestly think that there are no young sportfish caught?
And flounder only legal size? :lol: :roll:

snapper the way the nets are now there is no way they can catch them do to the fact that there are T.E.D'S (Turtle Excluder Devices) the poles in this are no more that 2 1/2 '' apart so big fish also get to go through this heres more info on them for ya http://www.st.nmfs.noaa.gov/tm/sefc/sefc254.pdf and there are also B.R.D's (Bycatch Reduction
Devices) so in short they gets tossed back to the sea unharmed.........http://www.cbbep.org/publications/virtu ... y/cc33.pdf

goto this page and you can see what is in the bycatch http://www.ucs.louisiana.edu/~rtb6933/s ... naeid.html
heres more info http://www.fao.org/docrep/W9032e/w9032E02.htm

i ask that you do your research ...and in the years i have been a commerical fishermen i have only seen 5 sport fish caught in the nets due to the fact it didnt have a chance to go through the ted's or brd's they were in the webbing at the front of the net and they were king fish and as to the flounders 99% of them are of leagel size you got to rember we are 3 miles off shore and the small flounders kinda stay by the shore line and in rivers .
diggin4grouper
KING MACKEREL

Postby capttom1961 » Sun May 25, 2008 11:15 am

MoJo wrote:It is :idea:

your kidding right??
capttom1961
Fisher

Postby MoJo » Sun May 25, 2008 11:32 am

capttom1961 wrote:

your kidding right??

NOPE
MoJo
GOLIATH GROUPER

Postby capttom1961 » Sun May 25, 2008 1:07 pm

MoJo wrote:
capttom1961 wrote:

your kidding right??

NOPE
well thats pretty sad.......so only people who fish should be able to eat fish??? wow!!!!!!!!
capttom1961
Fisher

Postby MoJo » Sun May 25, 2008 5:30 pm

Where did i say that?
MoJo
GOLIATH GROUPER

Postby Cookinman » Sun May 25, 2008 7:06 pm

capttom1961 wrote:

your kidding right??

Wel, at least I would not need to whiff the faux vanilla scenting ....

And ya I'd LOVE to see them quit selling something they are no good at handling properly anyway, truth be told. If I want FRESH fish, I'd go to a fish market. If I want meat I'd go to a butcher or wholesaler... But that may just be me...
TEAM 'COOKIN' :
:chef: "Still building 'em one BAITCATCHER at a time " :chef:
Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Postby diggin4grouper » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:25 am

alright here is some new info for you smart a@@es

http://research.myfwc.com/features/view ... p?id=19870
diggin4grouper
KING MACKEREL

Postby MoJo » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:35 am

diggin4grouper wrote:alright here is some new info for you smart a@@es

http://research.myfwc.com/features/view ... p?id=19870