Turkey Point Nuclear Leaking into Biscayne Bay

This area is all about things that can affect the Boatless-Land Fisherman as to State and Local Regulations, Rules that pertain to areas that we may fish and enviromental issues that we need to get involved in. Please read these posts and get invovled. We are stonger in Numbers.
greenlight22
Fisher

Turkey Point Nuclear Leaking into Biscayne Bay

Post by greenlight22 »

Just a heads up to anyone that doesn't know and an inquiry to those who do know and have more information about this nuclear plant spilling radioactive hydrogen into the water (215 times normal). I'm trying to find out the potential impact on recreational fishing north of the plant and up the coast.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/e ... 67452.html
http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/turke ... ay-8304252

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Re: Turkey Point Nuclear Leaking into Biscayne Bay

Post by krash »

Splains why the Bonefish are gone around the power plant, and maybe thats why my pacemaker goes whacky when I fish there.
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

greenlight22
Fisher

Post by greenlight22 »

Oh man, I hope the pacemaker comment is a joke :lol: I guess I'll just fish around it and head down to the keys more until I get more info.

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

Need more info!!! Not sure which system or how. If this is containment water, it's highly contaminated. The core material is submerged in it. Turbine water, is less contaminated but still lethal is dosed heavy. While radiation levels will dissipate quickly in water, if you were near at the time of the release, you could be in trouble. These things don't leak without a full on meltdown like Fukishima, somebody screwed up.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

STRIZ
KING MACKEREL

Post by STRIZ »

crashmister wrote:Need more info!!! Not sure which system or how. If this is containment water, it's highly contaminated. The core material is submerged in it. Turbine water, is less contaminated but still lethal is dosed heavy. While radiation levels will dissipate quickly in water, if you were near at the time of the release, you could be in trouble. These things don't leak without a full on meltdown like Fukishima, somebody screwed up.

What are you sayin Pat?

I mean 75% of all NPP are in one way shape or form in less than 100% condition.
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP HIGH
EVEN WHEN THE NECK IS DIRTY

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

Saw the report on fb today
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

3" fleas all over the beach...

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

Jarred posted a pic on Instagram of a freakin nine incher he just found. Looked like a toy Sherman tank
Those old queen slave owners that wrote our Constitution 200 years ago were brilliant.

"Every four years Americans get the President they deserve".

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

I looked all over his ig for the pic of a monster flea couldn't find nothing but bs cooking pics
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

:uplol: not BS at all young Joseph. You are aware Jared is another Hebrew? He is. And, of course, you knows who controls everything Americans read, see or hear in media? That's right......us Jews and we decide who gets to see the monster fleas we started breeding back in Israel. tommy Psssst gotta use your Hebrew name password to get on the exclusive Instagram the owners use. Want one? I understand the rabbi's got a real hummer picked out just for you.
Those old queen slave owners that wrote our Constitution 200 years ago were brilliant.

"Every four years Americans get the President they deserve".

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

STRIZ wrote:
crashmister wrote:Need more info!!! Not sure which system or how. If this is containment water, it's highly contaminated. The core material is submerged in it. Turbine water, is less contaminated but still lethal is dosed heavy. While radiation levels will dissipate quickly in water, if you were near at the time of the release, you could be in trouble. These things don't leak without a full on meltdown like Fukishima, somebody screwed up.

What are you sayin Pat?

I mean 75% of all NPP are in one way shape or form in less than 100% condition.
Saying somebody opened or dumped something they shouldn't have. A "leak" would be constant. Considering how much concrete its sitting on, a "leak" really ain't possible without a core meltdown. Not saying it happened, saying that's what it takes to breech containment. This could be as simple as someone mopped up an accidental discharge and dumped it in the wrong drain. Would explain how it got passed the sensors.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

greenlight22
Fisher

Post by greenlight22 »

I was finally able to find some scant figures, from Keys Weekly.

http://keysweekly.com/42/news-of-turkey ... ocks-keys/
According to a study released by the Miami-Dade Commission this week, over the last five years levels of tritium found in the canals ranged between 1,500 and 16,500 pCi/L. (Natural levels in Biscayne Bay are 20 pCi/L and the legal limits for tritium in drinking water are 2,133 pCi/L in the United States.) Because some of the canals are as deep as 24 feet, experts worry the tritium (as well as high levels of saline, phosphorus and ammonia) collected in early January from the bottom of the canals at rates of 2,600 to 3,400 pCi/L are reaching tidal surface waters connected to Biscayne Bay. Miami-Dade County has asked FPL to address these new findings.

The report does not address how increased levels of tritium might impact the public or marine life. According to the federal Nuclear Regulatory Commission, everyone is exposed to small amounts of tritium everyday as it can occur naturally. It enters the human body through food and drink consumption and half is excreted within 10 days.
Now I just need to befriend a scientist.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

greenlight22 wrote:I was finally able to find some scant figures, from Keys Weekly.

http://keysweekly.com/42/news-of-turkey ... ocks-keys/
According to a study released by the Miami-Dade Commission this week, over the last five years levels of tritium found in the canals ranged between 1,500 and 16,500 pCi/L. (Natural levels in Biscayne Bay are 20 pCi/L and the legal limits for tritium in drinking water are 2,133 pCi/L in the United States.) Because some of the canals are as deep as 24 feet, experts worry the tritium (as well as high levels of saline, phosphorus and ammonia) collected in early January from the bottom of the canals at rates of 2,600 to 3,400 pCi/L are reaching tidal surface waters connected to Biscayne Bay. Miami-Dade County has asked FPL to address these new findings.

The report does not address how increased levels of tritium might impact the public or marine life. According to the federal Nuclear Regulatory Commission, everyone is exposed to small amounts of tritium everyday as it can occur naturally. It enters the human body through food and drink consumption and half is excreted within 10 days.
Now I just need to befriend a scientist.
I don't think we need to worry about our body glowing in the dark yet.

I was curious about other countries...
http://nuclearsafety.gc.ca/eng/resource ... -water.cfm
the enforceable drinking water standards for tritium vary between 740 Bq/L (US) and 76,103 Bq/L (Australia).
This tells me Australian will definitely glow in the dark...
Well, I think it tells natural level of tritium in Miami-dade much lower than other country...

Canada limit is 7000 Bq/L.
740Bq is US limit and about 2,133 pCi/L . Then 16,500 pCi/L (Miami-Dade highest level over last five years) is about 5700 Bq/L and it is still less than Canada limit.
This means those Cadadian spring water bottle may have higher level of tritium than Miami-dade cana;.
Well, don't get me wrong. Somebody turned wrong knob, which is not acceptable...
And we still need to buy glow stick to glow in the dark...lol

greenlight22
Fisher

Post by greenlight22 »

I don't think we need to worry about our body glowing in the dark yet.

I was curious about other countries...
http://nuclearsafety.gc.ca/eng/resource ... -water.cfm
the enforceable drinking water standards for tritium vary between 740 Bq/L (US) and 76,103 Bq/L (Australia).
This tells me Australian will definitely glow in the dark...
Well, I think it tells natural level of tritium in Miami-dade much lower than other country...

Canada limit is 7000 Bq/L.
740Bq is US limit and about 2,133 pCi/L . Then 16,500 pCi/L (Miami-Dade highest level over last five years) is about 5700 Bq/L and it is still less than Canada limit.
This means those Cadadian spring water bottle may have higher level of tritium than Miami-dade cana;.
Well, don't get me wrong. Somebody turned wrong knob, which is not acceptable...
And we still need to buy glow stick to glow in the dark...lol
Thanks for link and comparison. FPL completed an upgrade a few years back to increase power output of the plant so that may explain some of the increased levels.

I don't want my kids glowing in the dark from the fish they catch and eat, but it may be a cool trick for me to do at parties. :biglaugh:

Return to “Regulations, Rules, Enviromental Issues”